Choice of iPad?

Wow. That is a bummer. I don’t know that I would ever want a bigger tablet in my life.

There’s a new iPad Pro that is 10.5" size - closer to the Mini.

Ok wait. Now I’m totally confused: there is an iPad Pro Mini?

The new iPad Pro is the same size as the Mini I think he’s saying

This is just out of control.

No!

2 Likes

No!

2 Likes

Since I’m new to this, I’m confused as well (or as hell) :smiley:

4 iPad sizes exist now (chronological order):

original 9.7
mini
big af pro 12.9
new pro 10.5

here’s what they’re selling now:

3 Likes

thanks.
I’m only confused about the comment that the mini will be discontinued. So would it be stupid to buy a mini now?
So future apps won’t work on it I guess?..

I think the mini 4 should be fine for a while as it’s still sold by them…
if you get an older, used device… just make sure it’s one with 64Bit arch. They are getting rid of 32bit things.

2 Likes

Depending on what music apps you plan to use it for, the iPad Mini might be a bit fiddly. I have one and drawing notes or automation and playing on-screen keyboards is a bit harder than on a regular sized model. I’d go for a regular size.

The Pro is a bit faster and supports the pen, but otherwise there aren’t a lot of benefits if you plan to mostly use it for music making.

2 Likes

thanks

2 Likes

Apps are global across all iPads. It’s the hardware/processor that newer apps may struggle with, not screen size.

So if it’s the latest mini it will last as long as any other iPad with similar chipset

so you are talking about the regular one?

Lol, no, I’m saying the 10.5" iPad Pro is closer in size to the 7.9" iPad Mini.

Closer != the same

2 Likes

Its a fair point. I use a MPKMini with mine, so…

I’m going to flag you just for causing mass hysteria. :wink:

1 Like

The MacRumors site has a disclaimer that their articles can be speculative in nature.

They do have a reputation though of decent accuracy in their predictions for Apple products.

Honestly, any iPad ou buy today will someday be unable to run apps in the future, whether it’s 3 years from now or 30 years. That’s how technology works. The selection of apps that will run on my iPad 4 is dwindling on a weekly basis. From that perspective, if they do discontinue the iPad Mini, you can benefit from the drop in price and have a 64-bit device that will last until 128-bit OS’s come out.

3 Likes

Mini 2 here. Size is nice in terms of portability but next time I might grab a regular sized one now that it seems like simultaneous multiple apps/Windows are something to consider.

Mini2 isn’t very powerful with music apps. Starts to flake out once 3 or 4 of the more cpu hungry ones are playing simultaneously. I assume the more recent ones can handle things way better…

1 Like