Choice between two affordables polyphonics synths

Hello Elektronauts,

I’m looking for an 8 voice synthesizer, with less direct parameter editing.
I would do some italo, techno and others things. My main influences are John Maus, Legowelt, Plant43 for this type of sounds.
I was looking at

a Roland d-05
or
a Korg MicroKorg XL

What do you think about this ? My only other synth is an MFB Dominion Club.

Thanks !

Guilhem

Another possibility with more options regarding sound capabilities:

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/

3 Likes

Not so sure about references but this is flexible for a wide variety of styles …

1 Like

Looking at the type of music you mentioned, you probably want the D-05.

thanks for all your answers, i will study them carefully !

yamaha reface dx?

Elektron Digitone? Would match nice with your Dominion Club.

1 Like

Yeah my vote goes to either the DT or the Blofeld! Also check out the DSI Prophet V2 if you don’t mind spending more that has 8 voices polyphony and sounds amazing. Those 3 synths are on my future wish list that or an Access Virus TI2 if I don’t go modular route.

good sounds but i was looking for less tweaking and have presets

Yeah, i was looking for something cheap and… tiny, that’s a preference for me, because of live sets and everything else. Maybe in the future !

Good idea, but as already said earlier, i’m looking for something “ready to go” and nearly no tweaking, more like a electric piano or something…

Roland

I’d look at something a little odd like a Yamaha TG33, SY22 or SY35. Legowelt used a TG33 in the past and they remain cheap enough that you could buy that and still add another small synth to the collection.

Add an older Novation synth (K-Station, KS-Rack, etc) to the line up too and you’ll be able to cover a lot of the Roland DCO territory. Again, Legowelt has used Novation in the past.

You can probably find a Yamaha and a Novation for a sum total of $500USD.

90’s E-mu rack synths, plant earth is my favorite, orbit’s a winner too. I can’t see them going for more than cheap. Rompler heaven, quality samples and an interesting filter.

1 Like

Alesis micron (or akai miniak) is still hard to beat in the ‘cheap poly’ realm. It’s not tiny, though.

+1 to Micromonsta, if you don’t need multi-timbral.
I have it’s previous version (Audiothingies P6) and it’s an awesome synth for it’s price. 6 voices though.
Micromonsta is 8 voices + some wavetable action
also, it’s super portable and has midi IN and OUT, that also acts as soft THRU.

The Digitone is very much “ready to go”, tons of great presets!
Or as suggested check out the Micromonsta. Or the Blofeld. The Desktop version is great, and as a preset bread and butter synth, nothing wrong about it. Also which comes to mind…easy to use, small footprint, very preset machine: Novation Circuit, Novation Mininova or Yamaha Reface CS.