Change kit using MIDI

Does anyone know a midi or sysex message that will change just the current kit?

There is no official documentation of the Analog instruments’ SysEx implementations, but I bet that forum member void has investigated it. Let’s just say that he has put some probably very relevant information in his Analog Four code on Github.

i would be happy to just send know how to send a kit number, rather than a full kit send.

Maybe here? (I haven’t checked it out):
https://github.com/bsp2/libanalogrytm

In any case, you know who to ask.

I know i can do this on the mono machine with

F0 0 20 3C 03 0 58 n F7

where n is the kit number

but I can’t seem to crack the Rytm. From some other posts like Program change messages not handled as expected I thought it should be

F0 0 20 3C 07 0 52 n F0

F0 0 20 3C 07 0 52 n F7 but that doesn’t seem to work

I’m sure you typo’d the F7 as an F0 in the sysex btw, but really just wanted to ask if the mnm instruction was documented or uncovered

I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

If you are asking whether the basic MM SysEx command set is documented then, yes, it’s in the back of the manual. The details of the data structure in the kit messages etc are available from Elektron support by request:
http://www.elektronauts.com/t/send-receive-patterns-with-sysex-documentation/16810

The MM and MD have exemplary SysEx implementations. It seems to have not been such a high priority for the black machines.

no such command exists AFAIK
but

learn how to change the current kit with this one weird trick:

• request the kit you wanna load:
uint8_t request[] = {0xF0, 0x00, 0x20, 0x3C, 0x07, 0x00, 0x62, 0x01, 0x01, 0xXX, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x05, 0xF7}; // XX = kit number
  • receive that kit’s sysex
  • change byte @ 0x06 from 0x52 to 0x58 // don’t ask :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • send the kit sysex back to the machine

easy if you roll your own software, but you’ll probably be out of luck doing this in Lemur or something.

(in spinal:
kload X - load kit X to the current kit buffer
klink X - link kit X to the current pattern :imp: :wink: )

1 Like

sweet !
i am digging the spinal command for unlocking access to the ring mod bass drum :+1:

righto - just curious if there was always a need to go digging !

Thanks Void. I just used this to make a Max patch that can change the current kit. I’d like to decode more of the stuff on Github, but my coding is a bit limited so far.

1 Like

righto - just curious if there was always a need to go digging ![/quote]
yeah dunno, likely these commands (or the dox) weren’t in there from day one

[quote="" avantronica""]

sweet !
i am digging the spinal command for unlocking access to the ring mod bass drum :+1: [/quote]
;D

1 Like

@Bin have fun - for the more involved stuff Max might not be the right tool though, imo…

yeah dunno, likely these commands (or the dox) weren’t in there from day one[/quote]

Just a historical footnote: I’m sure the MD and MM manuals included the basic SysEx documentation in or before 2005 (from the Mk I era) and probably from the start. The Sidstation manual had the SysEx documentation, and I don’t think that was updated since 1999.

I infer that SysEx implementations got a lot less important for Elektron with the OT and the Analog series.

ah ok - thanks for clarifying!
probably they figured that very few people are actually making use of SysEx commands…

the analog machines - they don’t have as fine-grained commands, basically just what’s necessary for backup, but what’s there is much more reliable than on the MD (and likely MnM)

1 Like

yeah dunno, likely these commands (or the dox) weren’t in there from day one[/quote]

Just a historical footnote: I’m sure the MD and MM manuals included the basic SysEx documentation in or before 2005 (from the Mk I era) and probably from the start. The Sidstation manual had the SysEx documentation, and I don’t think that was updated since 1999.

I infer that SysEx implementations got a lot less important for Elektron with the OT and the Analog series.[/quote]
yep, at least on the MM manual you had a full list of implemented SysEx messages, don’t know about the MD.
in a way…well, if you are actually allowed to ask for specific information and you get a reply, then i guess it’s ok even without those extra bits in the manual :slight_smile:

1 Like