Cf cards

well ive had what appears to be a 2nd 64 gb 266 kingston card start failing.

Has anyone tried the Komputerbay 64 gb cards in their octatrack?

Kinda worries me how much I read on this forum about cf card failing/corrupting etc. More Knowleable people seem to think that it’s legit and not an OT issue so if that’s the case it makes me wonder how do these cf card companies get away with selling so many cards that don’t work reliably?! Paranoid I’m gonna git card problems some time with the one I’m using (the Kingston shipped with OT)…

SanDisk is the way to go.

1 Like

yes all my ssd’s are sandisks but the 64gb is very expensive.

Where you buy the CF card can also be just as important. There are millions of fakes on the market. Make sure you buy from a reputable seller with a legit supply chain, even if that means spending a few more pennies.

Genuine Kingston cards should be good.

yes the well known internet retailer beginning with the letter A is where I buy most things from, my replacement was completely dead on arrival too.

Anyway kingson are with lifetime warranty but i will try get a sandisk at some point.

I always take your advice if its too cheap it usually is a con.

i got a san disk extreme pro 16GB
transfer speed : 90MB/s up to 160MB/s
a little expensive around 90euros in france but rock solid
comes with a lifetime warranty as well
apparentely the transfer speed is important for the OT
this card is originaly made for video or pro photo transfers but works pretty well in the OT
my first CF was a kingston, i had problem reading long samples with different lfo start points in flex machines.
i also had problem in usb mode, freezing samples transferts sometimes.
problems sorted with the San disk.

http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/compactflash/extremepro-160mbs/?capacity=16GB

Riiiiight. The Kingston card that came with my Octatrack straight up stopped working after a year, despite the fact that it sat unused in a drawer for all but the first 2-3 days that I had the OT.
Unless you’re suggesting that Elektron are supplying fake Kingston cards with their Octatracks, I wouldn’t buy anything from Kingston.

Just bought a 64gb Sandisk Extreme. Couldn’t decide wether to buy the pro, and thought the 120mbs of the Extreme should be enough. It is half the price so seems the sensible option. But I personally would buy the pro if there was any way to confirm the OT would actually benefit from the Pros higher spec.

any way to confirm the OT would actually benefit from the Pros higher spec.

I red a while ago that there’s no need for a cf card with a transfer speed higher than 100Mb/s so the one you got is enough

so getting the x266 is pointless so the sandisk 64gb extreme is fast enough or certainly faster than the OT can handle?

For me it isn’t an Usb transfert question, but how it can handle reading 8 sliced Static samples at the same time.
Maybe SanDisk Extreme 120 MB/s is enough. :wink:

I’ve had never any failures with Lexar, SanDisk or Transcend cards.

1 Like

266x is also more than enough … in terms of bandwidth the OT can actually use (from my calcs there was more than factor of 2 safety on back of the envelope worst case scenarios )

why would Elektron ship theOT with a card spec that could falter and damage their reputation

you get speed benefits at the loading to card side when using your computer

1 Like

Hmmm, yeah not sure about that dude, isn’t flex best for that kind of stuff? I’m don’t think that bandwidth increases with the card you mentioned, just the bus speed potential, although I could be wrong :slight_smile: All I can say is that I use a mix of 6 static and 2 thru in most projects and have not noticed any audio issues, but I really don’t push OT hard, so maybe if you’re using OT to the max it may give you some trouble in this case :smiley:

1 Like

We made some calcs last year with french mates :
Stereo audio 24 bit à 44 khz :
2 x 24 x 44100 = 2.12 Mbs
For 8 tracks = 17 Mbs

CF card speed needed :
17x1024 / 150 = 116x

Is that correct ?

2 Likes

I had a look for the sums i thought i posted, but i can’t find, even with google !
but the ballpark ratio of needed/included bandwidth is close iirc

2 Likes