CC Value for PTN Advance

Is it possible to have a midi foot switch that could advance to the next pattern?
I didn’t find any CC values for changing the pattern in the manual.

‘next’ won’t be an option, most likely, you’ll have to look at the manual which will surely explain that patterns are changed by explicit Standard MIDI program change messages as per other Elektrons

Thanks for the quick reply.
Are you saying if I had an array of foot switches, I could program each to trigger a different pattern?

(Sorry, this is my first Elektron purchase)

Some foot switches can access all the patterns by a combination of the MIDI program change message and Bank select switches - some can be small with a few switches, but typically to get that flexibility you’d be looking at devices with 5>10 switches that you can increment or program

Any OT thread on foot switches will give you a feel for the options out there and the way to do it on the cheap - e.g. with arduino - alternatively you can use midi translators to convert CC messages to Program Change messages if your foot pedal doesn’t do Program Change messages

Pretty much every permutation or option will be discussed in a thread somewhere here

Whether you’d be able to do it with CC or Prg Chg won’t affect the choice of device, they’ll all be much of a muchness - but do the research and read the feedback

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=midi%20foot%20pedal

1 Like

All the Elektron instruments can be set to use MIDI Program Change messages (not Control Change messages) to move to another sequencer pattern.

Many MIDI pedal controllers can be set to transmit individual Program Change messages, but these might not account for what the current pattern is in order to move to the “next” one.

Forum member @Megageoff posted about the Source Audio Soleman pedal, which is programmable enough to know the correct message to send for the next pattern:

https://sourceaudiostore.net/product/soleman-midi-foot-controller

As mentioned above, it’s also worth checking out the other pedals discussed on the forum to see what else might be available.

2 Likes

Thank you @avantronica and @PeterHanes.
I tried to find something about this but was only looking in the Digitakt forums.
I wasn’t sure how similar the Elektron boxes were to eachother.

I will look at these links and do more research.

2 Likes

Yup, the Soleman will increment/decrement PC right out of the box, and you can do a lot more sophisticated stuff once you get under the hood (send clock, start/stop, send multiple messages using one button etc). I’d definitely recommend it for users looking for a fully programmable pedal with a small footprint.

2 Likes

Yeah, I looked that up earlier, really cool device.
Depending on how much I could save, I may try to make my own.

Aside from the increment/decrement, which I think is exactly what I need, is there anything that you have used it for that you felt was amazing and you wouldn’t have thought you could do?