Cant open elektronauts site with safari iMac

I’m having a couple issues with a used iMac I just bought.
If anyone could get me going in the right direction towards solving these, would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s the specs and issues.

(Mid 2011) iMac Quad Core 2.5 GHz Intel “Core i5” I5-2400S 8gb RAM 21.5-Inch

It’s current OS X 10.8.6 (lion I think)

So here’s the issues;

I can’t open the elektronauts . com site in Safari.
I updated everything in the App Store updates and reset safari multiple times and still can’t open elektronauts.

I keep getting the error message, safari is unable to connect to the server blah blah.

But every other webpage I’m able to browse just fine.
Something’s blocking it I think but I tried messing with preferences to no avail.

Second issue is I cannot play any SoundCloud plug in at all.
So at the main elektron site which I’m able to access, I can’t preview sound packs.

It says your browser isn’t able to play SoundCloud and it gives me a list of browsers that can and in that list Safari is there which is the browser I’m using lol. So don’t know how to fix that.

Also I’m unable to update to macOS Mojave.
It requires a 2012 iMac or later to run it even tho any Mac OS with Lion or later is able to update.

So currently I’m at a stand still until I figure out how to resolve these issues.

If these are easy issues to fix, sorry, I’m fairly new to macs.

What’s the “blah blah”?

This is a very old OS version (10.14 is current) - some important SSL (https) changes happened in the last years, which could be the cause.

Is that the latest OS that that thing can run?

What version of Safari do you have installed? The current version is 12.0.

OK, the “can’t establish a secure connection” means that it’s https/SSL related. Older browsers can no longer talk to newer https servers, because a very bad bug was found that rendered SSL useless, so eeeverybody had to upgrade.

1 Like

Yes. I keep trying check for updates and no other os updates are available.

Safari 6.2.8

In the App Store updates there is no more updates for safari.

The OS upgrades are usually not a simple Update like apps, but rather look more like apps to install. In effect, you install the OS Installer via the App Store, and then you run it.

If you search for Mojave in App Store, does it come up? Or El Capitan?

If you can send the descriptive part of the “About this mac” window, that’d help us find the latest OS for that guy.

(Mine for reference is “MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)”)

Like this (with the new App Store, at least):

Ah I see in the background window that your App Store itself needs an update - if you install that, you will get more update options :slight_smile:

Look at this page to find your latest MacOS: https://everymac.com/systems/by_capability/maximum-macos-supported.html

Edit: looks like you should be able to install High Sierra! (10.13.x)

1 Like

Feel free to PM me to continue the troubleshooting :slight_smile: Better than alerting 1000 forum members.

Nothing changed after that update, weird.
No new App Store Interface and no new updates.
Still at 10.8

Time and date correct? Sorry if already asked.

1 Like

Much gratitude to @tengig for reaching out and setting me in route to resolving these issues.

@Kegeratorz I should be good to go now, thanks.

Currently downloading High Sierra so everything should be sorted out when installed.

Thanks again. Props. :facepunch:

2 Likes

:cat2:

Let us know if it works!! Older, lighter OSs (Sierra, El Capitan) might work too.

(I suspect the old spinning disk might slow you down a bit - if you feel up to taking the back off, getting a cheapish 2.5" SSD might be an option to speed it up. There are instructions for this on sites like ifixit.com etc!)

1 Like

Do a complete backup before upgrading !
I lost 2 Apple machines during upgrades !

3 Likes

Even tho I don’t have anything on it (nothing saved at all) you think it’s still necessary?

Or are you speaking along the terms of bricking my machine, rendering it unusable without a time machine back-up?

@LyingDalai is 100000% right! But if it’s a machine that you’ve only just bought, and if there’s really really nothing on there that you care about, you can just install.

(Recovering from a broken MacOS installation is tricky on the older Macs, but it’s doable, and it doesn’t require a Time Machine backup (unless there’s your own data you want to recover, in which case, backup first))

3 Likes