Cannot monitor microphone input

I am able to turn monitoring on and hear the audio when sampling if I have a synth on the inputs but cannot hear anything when trying to monitor a microphone. Does anyone know why that is? I can see it is recieving audio on the input meter and I can sample from the mic just fine, I just can’t hear anything when MON is set to Yes

Maybe this is because there’s no microphone input?

1 Like

he says he can sample from it just fine, so who cares if there is a mic input or not, whatever he is plugging into the DT is working gain-stage wise.

Oh sorry, didn’t read close enough. Can’t think of a reason in that case, except that he might have dissbled monitoring at the same time.

It might have to do with the normalizing that the DT does automatically after sampling. Meaning, the “monitoring” volume might be really low, but after sampling it normalizes the clip, boosting the volume to a more audible level? I’m certainly no expert and have only had mine a couple weeks but I had something similar when plugging my guitar directly in

2 Likes

Good thinking. That must be it.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/microphone-to-connect-to-sampler/39839

I’m using a Zoom H1. I don’t think the monitoring volume is really low because it is showing >50% on the input meter.

The H1 is a great companion to the DT by the way. I can either record while out and about and then plug into the DT and sample the playback or i can record live straight into the DT

I don’t know then :frowning: Pretty sure my guitar is the same way, like the monitor graphic shows definite signal and when I play it goes over the 50% mark too like you’re saying, but I have a real hard time hearing it… or can’t hear it at all, not totally sure, had other stuff going on and I was using speakers, not headphones… couldn’t tell if there was any audible signal or not. But after I recorded something, before even assigning it to a track, just using the FN+YES to preview, it was definitely audible at the same level as all the other sounds on the machine. So something sneaky is going on…

Re: the H1, will have to check it out! My first thought when I got the Digitakt was that I’m definitely gonna have to get a portable recorder

I wonder if the monitor graphic isn’t set to an absolute volume range, like it adjusts to match the strength of the signal coming in? Only thing I can think of that would make it appear to have a strong signal when in reality it’s not. Like, not all 50% marks are equal?

Ok, but even though you’re using it as a microphone, it does output line level into your DT.

Are you absolutely sure you haven’t accidentally turned monitoring off?

Yes, it has a line out. I definitely have monitoring turned on.

Like I said, I can hear it fine if I plug a synth in. Swap to the H1 and no sound, same settings. Both show a similar level on the input.

if that was the case it would be so noisy, i’m sure the op isn’t an idiot

Possibly I am an idiot LOL

I just tried again and realised the line out level on the H1 was set really low. Turned it up to 100% and can monitor it on the DT just fine. Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Good to hear you got it sorted.

2 Likes

i stand corrected! j/k

1 Like