Calculate power consumption for external battery

https://milliamps-watts.appspot.com/

http://convert-formula.com/

guys …

can we get a chart please?

buy this

30 000 ma/h battery from retailer X for Y amount of money and > power Elektron Device Z for K-many hours.

anybody know about them volts and watts what not ???

I want to see an end to this continuing question …

Digitakt consumes 7 V
PSU 3 B from elektron is Output : 24 W at 12 V at 2000 mA

I have no idea what this means!

iirc correctly you have to push more ampere into a device than what the device draws, right?

but what about the volts?

does it get fried?

Get a clamp meter to measure the actual draw of the machine in amps then you can easily calculate the consumption because the supply voltage is fixed (regulated). If you go off the rated specs you will end up with a more conservative calculation, ie. Worst case scenario. The unit will draw a variable amperage from the supply, depending on what you have connected to its ins and outs and what frequencies you are generating. Powered internal components may start to misbehave if the supply is not adequate so the rated power supply is usually a factor higher than what the collection of components all operating at their recommended specifications require. The 7v on the machine is what it wants to see, using a slightly higher (12v) DC supply is ok but not lower than 7v. internally the machine regulates the input to 7v but there is a limit to what the voltage regulator can handle before it overheats or protection circuit kicks in. This is not nessecarily so with an AC device, always use the precise voltage supply with an AC unit. The lithium battery packs use cells that operate at 3.7v DC but vary in capacity (MAH) with cheaper ones approx 1500mah some of the more expensive ones up to approx 3000mah. So if the unit needs 7vDC you can run the unit off as little as 2 cells (7.4vDC in series) and if you use 2 x 3000mah cells it should run for approx an hour and a half (@ 2 amp per hour).

1 Like

Volt multiplied by Ampere results to Watt ; VA= W

12V * 2000 mA (2A) = 24 W . it means if your device would draw than 2 Ampere your power supply would start melting at some point, taking fire ( or you fuse would kick in if it has one).

If you need more explanation lets talk about it next time we meet again at gugas irc :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m thinking it will be cool to get a battery pack for my OTmkII as it runs from 12v and 12v battery packs seem fairly commonplace, I did a quick calculation going from the specs in the manual and it seems that the OTmkII typically draws 7w at 12v, converted to ma that equates to about 584ma, so to allow for a bit of headroom for things like CF access I reckon 800mah should be about right.

Has anyone done this? Any specific models of battery to recommend, I reckon 4000mah should be about perfect giving roughly 8 hours, thoughts?

1 Like

I have a chargetech portable powerplug unit and it powers all my elektrons (1 at a time obvs). Have not yet really benchmarked how many hours each box runs on it though… its a 27k (27,000 mAh)

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check that out, in the meantime just noticed this active thread which has a lot of options, it is about the DT but I think the power requirement is similar to the OTmkII Digitakt : External battery / Power pack options?

I’m sure you could find a cheaper solution though, you being good with electronics and all! I just bought the thing on a whim tbh, have not yet put it through its paces. So far I’ve liked it though, only gets quite hot during use (but this is also stated in the manual, normal they say…)