BSP Nightmare setup HELP!

Is anyone else using a Beatstep Pro to control their Roland Boutiques using Logic X here?
I have been doing the following:

Beatstep Pro connected to Mac via Usb.

Roland TR09 connected via Usb
Roland TB03 connected via Usb
Roland SH01 connected via Usb

So for now I was thinking I could just use the audio/midi from all the Boutique’s in Logic X then straight back out in to the Beatstep but it’s no dice.

I can play and hear the TR09 on CH10 Drum channel on the Beatstep Pro no problem BUT after creating the aggregate device and selecting it in Logic X if I change midi tracks within Logic the TR09 will stop playing then I hear whatever track I have selected either TB03 on CH 1 or SH01 on CH2.

So every time I hit a new track the others will mute.

Seems like SEQ 1 and SEQ2 on the Beatstep Pro won’t play ball even though Iv’e set the channel of the TB03 to CH1 and SH01 to CH2… I’m sure it’s something simple but it’s becoming tiring this malarkey Iv’e been on all afternoon. Also when I press STOP on the BSP the damn TR09 decides to play Toms or Snares at random…

Oh and also I have no idea why BUT if I use the sliders on the SH01 the damn thing changes the level and tune etc of the TR09 ???

HEEEEEEELP haha

PS

I haven’t got this lot midi’d up I just wanted to see if it works via the audio etc down Usb so I can use Logic X effects.

Thanks in advance

First thing I’d do is go to Project Settings/Recording/MIDI and check the box for auto demix by channel. Without this checked all incoming midi is routed to the selected track…

3 Likes

Thanks mate already did that still no go… seems the SH01a and TB-03 wanna play their internal patterns over the Beatstep… googling how to just trigger from Beatstep pads… It’s laughable now man 9hrs pissing about in Logic that’s why I had computers for music hehe

It’s been a minute and I can’t test, but I think you need to make sure you have two midi tracks record enabled and maybe send the two channels some midi for it to start splitting, I think if only one is record enabled it still sends it all the midi. I remember slight fiddling when you activate tracks, I think it went: enabling multiple midi tracks, sending them midi on the two channels, and then moving the track selection to an audio track… Then the midi splitting would work correctly and hold…

Thanks mate Iv’e been googling about this and it seems that the SH01a will continue to play it’s patterns. Roland Clan forums say you have to set the SH01a to an empty pattern in banks 7 and 8. I’ll try it out again. Can only get the TR09 to work properly so far, the TB03 is also playing up like the 01a… Think it’s a matter of deleting their internal patterns. You’d think they’d have offered a SEQUENCER OFF feature in these machines.

1 Like

Yeah maybe it’s another level deeper than the midi splitting, just a starting place to make sure that’s working…

I’ll give it a try and if no joy I’ll just midi it all up and use the audio interface. Just had a plan to use the Boutiques via their Usb/Audio instead and use the Logic X effects and just control the 3 synths via the BSP.

Fancied a midnight Jam hehe, might be a Christmas Jam at this rate tho :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Just throw it all away and play your DT!
Problem solved

1 Like

I have it sussed now and I’m up and running. Only thing is that the 16 knobs in controller mode seem to have to be assigned to all 3 sequencers, I’d have thought in controller mode you could switch between sequencers and have 16 knobs etc available per part, bummer… I’ll set the 2nd BSP up with the TR8s, Blofeld and Pulse 2

Rob

Setup with one of the BSP’s ready to jam on a Thursday night… I deffo need another desk to fit another BSP/Keystep for TR8s/Blofeld/Pulse 2 etc Oh and the Digitakt is very small so can fit that somewhere I guess

Love these little sequencers tho…

Oh oh, dont spill your drink over that precious Q!! :wink:

1 Like

Haha I feel more creative with a few beers at night but I definitely won’t spill it hehe :rofl:

1 Like

Point in case, but it just looks so dangerous to me…