BPM issue on Rytm MK2

Hi,

I’ve setup Rytm MK2 to receive Midi from Ableton : when i start the song on Ableton, Rytm starts to play. It’s working BUT i’m having an odd issue : BPM both on Ableton and the Rytm is 120, but when the song starts, Rytm will vary the BPM to 137 during a second or two, and then go back to 120 ; it will remain stable after these first seconds. But it’s annyong. Does somebody knows how to fix this ?

Thanks !

The rytm has some catching up to do to run in sync with Ableton. Thas’s why the BPM go up for a sec. Does it run in sync afterwards?

1 Like

Always let the hardware be tha master. Ableton has crappy midi sync.

if trying out the idea of syncing Ableton to the incoming Midi clock and start/stop from a hardware sequencer, open the Midi Sync prefs, then arm the Sync and Remote options.

Then it is possible to realtime micro-nudge Ableton forwards and backwards by changing the value in the “Midi Clock Sync Delay”.

I find somewhere between -19 and -25ms usually sets things fairly accurately.

Although it is worthwhile occasionally monitoring and listening for how synced the software is to the hardware, if using more or different instances of software fx/synths.

Even so, after pressing Play on the hardware sequencer, i’ve noticed it takes about one and a half or two bars for Ableton to properly be in sync with the hardware clock, even if the setting finessing is accurate.

After some seconds the Rytm run in sync, the problem happens only in the first 2 seconds, but it’s kind of annoying :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This has nothing to do with Ableton’s midi clock capabilities (which is perfectly fine btw) External gear always has to catch up on the clock. Some more than others…

Ableton’s clock generator can NEVER be tight, it runs on a multi purpose OS which runs on a mjltipurpose CPU which handles a shitload of stuff simultaeniously and is constantly interrupted at it’s tasks.
I really advice to to a good reading on software clock generators vs hardware clock generators.

Sure it’s not as bad as I painted, but if you have a decent master clock in hardware, you better use it. Less jitter.

I’m definitely not suggesting it’s as tight as a hardware sequencer but it’ll do just fine for stuff we’re talking about. The rytm will follow Ableton’s clock even when it’s off a little. I’m not saying you should render 3d animation while performing live but for generic purpose use it’s absolutely fine.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Analog Rytm feature request thread

Actually this can’t be the case with midi clock since it doesn’t send position in real time. If there is any ‘catching up’ then the catching up -must- be generated at the source.

But that is midi. Maybe in this case overbridge is involved or somethig?.

Another possibility is the usb midi driver. If it’s sleeping/waiting/inactive and you try to send midi over it it may buffer the data and send them out all at the same time once the driver is fully active.

Negative, clocks are being sent, rytm receives them and needs to process them sequentially.

Yes, but everything in your computer (after the sequencer buffers it) needs to process it sequentially as well. :slight_smile:
The rytm doesn’t need two seconds to lock on to the tempo so unless the midi pulses are coming in at a changing rate it should stabilize its tempo very fast. You can already do a pretty good estimate of the tempo with 2 midi clock messages. And in one second you get tens of these clock messages.

So it sounds like the rytm gets a burst of clock messages at first and calculates a too fast tempo from that.

I know i’ve only had this ‘catching up’ stuff happening when i mess around with advancing the midi clock in ableton.

I stand corrected. Midi monitor shows a burst of the first 4 clocks.

2 Likes

Yeah, what can i say :slight_smile:
You’ve got no idea how much i hate the midi subsystems on modern computers,.

i wonder if an Atari 520 would exhibit a more stable Midi clock, out of interest.

It does. Rock stable.

Have a good read about midi clock degrade over the years here:
https://www.innerclocksystems.com/ICS%20home.html

Website has quite a LOT of info.