Bought a Mnm... Tell me what to do first

Yeah! Sold it twice. Want happen again. Hopefully the price goes down significantly so there’s no point in even thinking about it. :wink:

1 Like

Others than that. I wouldn’t suggest starting in the manual. This machine is very playable.

• Use all the machines 'til you know them. How they sound. What parameters there are. How to abuse them badly.
  • Then learn how to eq for better sound. Ex: Lower the volume param to 2/3. Set the Eq-gain -20% and set the Eq-freq by ear.
  • Dont forget to play madness with the arp on percussion and drums.
  • Explore routing.

…and don’t sell it. There are many uses for the :elmm:.

2 Likes

Don’t forget about the key tracking options in the assign menu, this essential for the FM machines IMO.

1 Like

Waking up to so much advice and a new synth sitting in the living room = my Version of happy Family. Thanks a lot guys :panda:

3 Likes

Have a read at @Tarekith’s compilation of EU tips & tricks http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_tipsandtricks.htm

2 Likes
2 Likes

You should perform the ceremonial dance of the MnM owner. I don’t have many regrets in life, but selling mine years ago is a big one.

2 Likes

The Nicholas Lem soundpack is great, learnt a lot from those patterns. I also regret selling my Monomachine, will have to get another one at some point.

4 Likes

The Master Volume is at maximum at 3’o’clock, any further is potentially undesirably adding a further output gain stage to the signal’s previous gain structure.

Some sounds you make will be naturally very soft, and in these cases the extra potential of the Individual Vol, and the Master Vol, become useful.

Reading this thread reminds me I need to give my brother some hard time over the fact he sold the sfx-6 years ago.
We used to rock out on that slab of metal together and it was much fun.

He didn’t even bother to save the sys-ex to retrieve the bangers we made on it!

WTB Pitchfork and petrol…

2 Likes

Step 1 - load a bowl
Step 2 - read the manual
Step 3 - turn on MnM and take your first dive down the wormhole

The Monomachine is still my favourite piece of hardware, such a vast/deep machine that is unlike anything else out there. Learn how to turn off HPF/LPF tracking, the default for a new machine is ‘on’, turning to ‘off’ makes a big difference. Have fun and enjoy!

2 Likes

I think step 1 is the best advice ever…

2 Likes

and watch your eardrums. the freaking monomachine can have quite harsh frequencies because of its digital character. i have a sudden deafness in my left ear since over a month after a 2 hours session with Headphones. i suspect the Monomachine as the causer of this. to bad that i’m too lazy to look for a Doctor.

1 Like

Ah yes I know what you mean. The sudden loss of frequency in the ears. Really frightening and the more you use headphones the more it seems to happen.

I’ve had to hit the stop key many times in succession before (I think you only need twice, but I was panicking) to stop some monster delay feedback. That stuff can get loud!

3 Likes

This “read the manual” advice is to the monomachine what the sentence “start with the greeks” is to philosophy.

Be patient :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very true… painful stuff… But somehow you know beforehand when you start pulling that feedback, but you can’t stop yourself… the pain of exploration: it’s you’re friend and worst enemy all in one.

Damn, I wish I could’ve listened to the whole track (I guess I’ll have to buy!) That was amazing! The chaotic (yet, in time) rambling of the synth, and that DRIVING kick. Wow, very inspiring! :thup:

I’m absolutely stoked about how this thread developed. Currently I’m on vacation and the Mnm still sitting at home, waiting for me to return. But boy do I get psyched every time someone posts in here. Can’t wait to get back and get going.

2 Likes

one of my fave things to do is with the bbox machine. I set up a hat sequence, my fav hat is the G#7, and then lfo the pitch, retrig, and retrig time controls. I set up a tri lfo for the retrig and and a itri lfo for the retrig time and a random lfo on the pitch. The result is some really cool hat rolls that can help a sequence become dynamic. sometimes ill even set all the lfo to random and let it ride for a while.

4 Likes