Boosting input signal?

Is there a way to boost the input level from the L/R Inputs on the Digitakt Side?
Or to controle the volume for the input monitor.

I wanted to sequence my ipad en direct monitor it. But the level of the incomming signal is lower than the level of the Samples played by the digitakt. I could of course lower the level of the sampletracks on the Mixer page.

1 Like

That’s not possible no. How loud is the incoming signal? Does the meter hit the end? If so, you’re mixes on digitakt are way too loud and you’re better off lowering all volumes. Will give you more headroom in return and thus a better mix :wink:

5 Likes

Simply use an audio mixer to boost the volume, or hope for input levelling features like me …
Amping the signal will not happen for sure!

Btw. the input signal gets normalized after recording, but also the background noise!

1 Like

I would imagine increasing the level on the iPad end to be even simpler. Throw some peaklimiting and clipping to the masterbus in your apps?

Not a bad idea to dcrease sample volumes on the DT end either… If it sounds good it is good.

1 Like

Turn down the digitakt samples. First lesson of mixing sounds is that you don’t just keep cranking shit up if you need a sound louder, you have to turn other stuff down.

7 Likes

Gonna combine all of the above… :+1:

1 Like

re-sample the incoming signal through the compressor

I dont understand the monitored input signal, even if I turn the incoming synths up to full volume (they would be on one quarter volume) monitoring is still drowned out by sample tracks meaning sampling whilst playing is a no no. Its not like the incoming signal is weak as once you play it back the sound is plenty loud enough, its just the monitoring is nowhere near loud enough to hear whilst performing.

Digitakt automatically normalizes recordings so that’s why they are loud after recording.

The output of your gear is pretty low on volume if you only 25% input in the DT. Might be an issue there. Try boosting that signal via a mixer for instance. All my gear goes way beyond the max if I set them at max volume.

1 Like

What I mean is turning up the main volume on the synth that is being sampled still leaves the monitored volume on the Digitakt much lower than the audio tracks, I have to turn everything I sample up high just to hear anything, if I played the synth on its own at the same volume it would hurt my ears. I have no problem with the result once sampled(even at low volume), I just cant hear what I am sampling while the Digitakt is playing as the monitoring level is too low.

That’s certainly not normal. I’d contact support.
After sampling the Digitakt normalizes the sample, so that’s why you can hear it loud enough after recording. The input levels being that low doesn’t seem normal so there might be a hardware issue on the inputs of your DT.

1 Like

So you are saying the monitoring volume on your Digitakt is not significantly lower than the internal volume?. Do your encoders frequently make decisions for you whilst microtiming and editing trigs/tracks or is that a hardware problem too?, I did mention it in a support ticket but didnt get an answer.

I’m not sure what you mean by “making decisions for you” except maybe you mean that they’re jumpy… my Digitakt is completely fine in that regard, but my OTmkII has a couple of jumpy encoders. Support have said they’ll fix them for me (obviously free of charge)

I suggested this to someone else in another post, but, try making a video showing the encoder problem and post it to a support ticket - it will help them to see what you see!

What I mean is the encoders are so sensitive that while a trig is held and the microtiming window is open any one of the encoders( that also allow super fast selection of microtiming for some reason) may decide to move the microtiming without my input, it is a fairly common experience to be fighting against them, they are more of an anoyance at other times just opening sound pool and sample windows. I know others have experienced over sensetive encoders but am yet to officially hear whether it is within expectations or a hardware fault

Contact support. It is a fault for the encoders to be jumpy and change values like that unexpectedly as you describe.

2 Likes

I did that way back but did’nt get confirmation it was a fault only that I could send it back if I wanted to, which I obviously did not as I was trying to enjoy myself. I had heard of others with similar problems so I thought maybe it would be fixed in an update.
It seems like an obvious problem with the sensitivity, it is too easy for the encoder to end up half way between two destinations given the precision, thus triggering on its own, when all the encoders are used to control the microtiming it is likely one of them will want to go one way or the other while you are making your own adjustments. Easy fix, disable encoders from microtiming, I dont know why anyone needs to fly through microtiming anyway.

I think the “you can send it back” was confirmation that it was a fault. Generally, a manufacturer wouldn’t want to accept or encourage a return unless the product is faulty. At least that how I would have interpreted it

1 Like

There were direct questions about specific faults that I wanted answered, I received a reply that anwered none only a suggestion that I could send it back if I wasnt happy. If something is faulty I want to know, then I can make my mind up if it is worth my time going through the agro of returning it for repair or to carry on living with it. It has become clear that encoder sensitivity is not one of the things that will be sorted with an os update so its just the not so easy case of finding something else to distract me for a month or so while its gone.

Totally get what your throwing. I’ve seen you mention the faulty encoders a few times on the board. It doesn’t look like that’s going to get better with an update at this point though.

3 Likes

You can be certain that, when a manufacturer says it’s best to send it back, that it is in fact a hardware problem. Sadly, no update is going to fix that issue.

Monitoring volume shouldn’t be that low. It sucks, but if I were you I’d backup everything and send the unit back for repair or a new unit. Good luck man. Hopefully it will be sorted quickly.

2 Likes