Blue LEDs

Something to watch out for…

1 Like

I have known about this for a good few years, but it is always nice to see the information being published.

1 Like

I installed flux to lower blue light from my Mac but more often than not I end up turning it off cause it does my head in. Is this a legitimate study or internet science? Looks like optometrist is the career to go for right now lol

2 Likes

Ugh, that’s awful news for me as I use the PC way too much…maybe this is why I now wear glasses. :eyeglasses: Seriously though, if this turns out to be the case (which it seems like it is) I’ll need to cut in half my PC time.

@jb I use flux as well. What setting do you put it on? After reading this I put mine on 3500, it’s staying there. :sweat_smile:

Don’t stress, apparently this study is garbaggio.

Some words on it from the author of f.lux:

If you are curious, the smallest doses where “blue light hazard” has been observed in humans (short-term exposure) are around 10 J/cm^2. International standards use around 2 J/cm^2 for a safety margin.

One example of this is hiking in fresh snow for hours, no sunglasses, meaning exposures well above 10,000 cd/m^2 to “white light”.

Computer screens are way dimmer - an hour of iPad use is .0365 J/cm^2.

http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/v30/n2/full/eye2015261a.html is a good summary.

For long-term exposure (AMD risk) we have very little data, so understanding the mechanisms (such as above article does) can help.

There are reasons to reduce blue light emissions from computer screens, but going blind isn’t one of them.

i use a freeware “f.lux” to auto-warm the colour mix in the laptop screen at night.

doesn’t reduce the heating bills, and is not cool to use when doing image or video editing, but anyway regular computer use is not such s dazzling or stark experience as f.lux auto-starts at sunset.

the warm orange glow of the Machinedrum screen is always a welcome backup system.

1 Like