Blofeld love

I have gotten program change in single mode to work. I haven’t tried multi mode yet.

^ I’m encouraged that it’s more doable than I thought

I’ve had a look at the Chip Pin Out and it does seem to be Pin 69 ADO_PD1

Digital Audio Data Output—This signal is an audio and
non-audio output in the form of AES/SPDIF, CP340 and IEC958
data in a biphase mark format.

Note - to match the Photo, the following image needs to be turned 90deg CCW … the Pin 1 marking is obscured by the cable bottom left on the chip - by my reckoning it’s the 9th down from the top in the photograph above

as per the comments in the PDF linked above - do this only after you do your research and only if you’re confident, do not assume the unit hasn’t changed in the meantime, check it’s the same chip. yhbw. I will likely give this a go in the future too

Guys, for my own culture, would you mind taking the time to explain me what is this SPDIF addition that you’re currently talking about ?
I mean, what would this bring exactly, appart the change of connectors ?
Aren’t the regular Blofeld jacks good enough ?

Please excuse my ignorance ^^

OK, I see the light now :smile:
Thx pal !

1 Like

Use the drive-parameter to crank up the volume. You will get some nice ‘digital’ saturation, for the tainted minds. :loopy:

For multimode:

For Play Sound (single) mode:
Just send a Program Change.

2 Likes

I know there’s something wonky with how the OT deals with program changes, like the OT only sends program changes aftera pattern has played or something like that.

Not if you’re sending Program Changes from the OT’s MIDI sequencer tracks.

1 Like

Just spent the evening with my Blofeld tonight…
Discovered quite a lot of stuff.
There are so many little menus, when you want to dig. Just figured so far I’ve just scratched the surface !!

3 Likes

I feel like the way the menu flaws on the Blofeld pushes me to try new things, FM for example, it’s available on almost every other page, you just have to add a bit of it to see what happens, right?

2 Likes

I have been using program change in multi mode. It works well, and the OT program change is linked to parts, so that’s the thing to have in mind when programming.
If you change the value of the program, you need to reset the OT state (with a double or tripple press of the Stop button)
Quite a nice combo, OT and the Blo. 6 lfo’s for 8 parts. And you can layer the parts on the blofeld itself. By setting for example part 1 and 2 to midi channel 1 they are both receiving on that channel, and you can set the transpose and detune per part!
Big stuff.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting I’d do it myself. That’s what friends are for! :diddly:

I know the SPDIF out mod is not everyone’s cup of tea, but I want to try it. I do love the blofeld architechture, but something about the sound of it, it always finds its way back to the shelf after a while.

1 Like

me too. my experience is that the synth covers nearly the whole frequency-spectrum so that even the AR has no place to breath. Very powerful indeed!

Perfect Circuit has Blofelds listed new at $400 this weekend. That’s a very tempting price and I remember wanting a general purpose poly/soundscape machine… Still considering though. It might just be more worth it to me to fall back on software or iPad to do this ‘fill in the synthesis holes’ thing I need.

Blofeld is very good synth for the price,i have mininova,korg,and the waldorf blofeld is more deep synth and it sound better than mininova,
For sure blofeld is one classic must have synth :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this is a two year old post, with almost 150 replies, so I’m not holding my breath, but I am very interested to know more about how you changed the knobs. My blokeys is amazing, however my fingers slip off the encoders all the time.

I would love to replace them with some squishy rubber knobs

Thanks.

I had a micro q back in the day - i really liked its sound - but i hated to program it because of the rack interface it was not good for desktop operation. The micro Q had a lot more outputs, and it had inputs - even usable as an FX machine.
2nd hand a blofeld is cheap - 270€ - i still miss the micro Q somehow, maybe i give it another shot.

I dont remember - can a sound in a multiprogramm be controlled by CC macros ?

The Elektron Ones fit fine and cure the issue, i really really struggle with this too, especially after you develop a light touch to spin the very sensitive Elektron encoders … however, the Elektron ones would sit about 4mm too high and reveal the hole in the Waldorf chassis, not so pro looking

Your alternative is to put grippy tape around the knob or spray them with a matte textured lacquer or find a heat shrink pipe and shrink that on, then trim the top … again, all not very pro

The Elektron grey makes a nice match, so you could (if serious and had acquired those knobs) reduce the height of the blofeld encoder shaft to allow the soft-touch Elektron knobs to sit flush - do any of this at your own risk of course

Or source other replacements which are not so very very slippy - it’s the one weak link of the blofeld imho

1 Like

Of course you can.
For each of your parts (“instruments”) you need to assign a MIDI channel.
This way you can control each part for notes but also for CCs.

1 Like

I had a look in the online manual - one can control each channel with the selected CC, but there is no macro function to manipulate several things at once. But you could use for example the breath control CC as modulation source in your patch, and then use it for several targets. (LFO multiplier, AMP envelope etc.)

I currently compare specs with the old access virus B (which has more i/o) but the wavetable synthesis seemed to have bugs.

1 Like