Best way to create fills on the fly?

[quote="" mekohler""]

Excellent idea…THIS is the kind of stuff they need to implement…all of these little features really add a lot to a performance.[/quote]
After this idea i started to do this with an empty pad. Just copy the track, create a pattern with the same sound and make a scène with Turing on and off the volume (and or volume of the first track.
Works very well.

This threat helped me a lot, also started to use retriggerin for this

Grid mode (record light on) function + left or right gives nice variation on track patterns… not quite a fill

live trigs, with effects

1 Like

I’ve found it useful to Func + Direct Change (Bank Group) until it lights up green, then you can change patterns so they start at the same point they left the last one, instantly. Not really a good explanation, but if you try it, it makes sense.

Just create a/some fill-pattern/s and try it out. Hold the bank button and mash away on the pattern trigs.

1 Like

This would be a good way to do it if the AR stayed in time while you do this, unfortunately, it doesn’t. It’s a well known bug and doesn’t work at the moment. Many of us are hoping for a quick resolution of this very disconcerting and crippling issue.
In the meantime, Scenes with volume locks are an easy way to alter a sequence on the fly. And of course, Trig mutes for a different way.
Cheers.

This would be a good way to do it if the AR stayed in time while you do this, unfortunately, it doesn’t. It’s a well known bug and doesn’t work at the moment. Many of us are hoping for a quick resolution of this very disconcerting and crippling issue.
In the meantime, Scenes with volume locks are an easy way to alter a sequence on the fly. And of course, Trig mutes for a different way.
Cheers.[/quote]
Oh, this was news to me.
Is it always like this? I can’t remember it going out of sync with my OT when i’ve done this.
Shame anyways. When I found the feature it blew my mind and I hope there is a fix for it soon!

And I saw the other thread about the problem just now.

Drum rack set to configured Rytm tracks in Live 9 is a great way to create drum fills using the slice to drum function from any audio clip. Then just live record.

asked for this too, I would kiss loads of smelly feet for this :slight_smile:
the idea of defining “inner loops” in patterns is rad.
in (my) best world I could do it live as described and as a feature for scene/perf mode: automate structural params like pattern length and signature and have different “fills” available via scene or even crazier perf mode. a “first step” param would be very helpful of course

i overlooked this one… really nice@

i overlooked this one… really nice@[/quote]
Yes this is nice but it cuts your sounds where the zero vol triggers are, and you can’t introduce a kick on step 12 + 14 and mute kick on step 13 at the same time

i overlooked this one… really nice@[/quote]
Yes this is nice but it cuts your sounds where the zero vol triggers are, and you can’t introduce a kick on step 12 + 14 and mute kick on step 13 at the same time[/quote]
It works well for short sounds, not so well for a long tailed kick. Not sure what you mean about not being able to bring up a kick on 12 and 14 while muting 13. I seem to have no problem doing that.
It would be great if the trig page was also lockable, then we could turn trigs off completely and let the 808s ring true.

You can have “hidden” triggers you can call using performance or scene.

I use this technique to create quick manual fills.

Lets say you want to hide a snare fill (synth) so you can call it whenever you want.

• lock the t2 synth level value to your actual snare trigs. (the trigs you already have active for t2)

• turn on all the inactive triggers for t2 (you must listen to a 1/16 fill)

• turn to 0 synth level (you will still hear the locked triggers)

• assign on a performance pad Lev+127 to t2 Synth Level

Now you can improvise snare fills pressing that performance button.

You can also use the unused sample voice of all tracks for this purpose, this will give you a lot of tools for improvisation.

Also remember you can use the trigger buttons to mute kick (etc) while in performance mode, just hold them, play with the performance to build the fill and release the trigger buttons to leave the fill.

Hope you find it useful!

Thanks for filling in everyone! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve tried several of the above mentioned methods and I found chains to be the best. The issue I have is that although reading the manual I can’t really figure out how song and chains fully work. For instance, if I have one track on 32 steps the chains seem to stop working. Also if I would like to repeat a pattern 31 times and then a fill pattern it is tedious to count the number of button clicks to 31 when creating the chain. Then song mode is better because I can choose a pattern x 31 and new row and pattern x 1 but that only plays once.

Help please.

Something I do is go into grid record mode and then on the track I am on, hold function and either < or > navigation arrows.

It’s pretty simple, just shifts things over a 16th, or an 8th if you wish. Good enough for a quick variation that you can quickly get out of without reloading the pattern.

I like the idea of the scene/performance trigger for fills…

I also think that every trig/step should have a probability of being played assigned to it. Probabilistic methods like that always keep a beat interesting.

Agree, you can combine hidden triggers with a LFO to achieve that kind of randomness. For example performance can control Sample Lev (to unhide) and a 1/16 random LFO can control the filter freq to add articulation.
ELECTRON give us a 2nd LFO it couldn´t be that CPU intensive :stuck_out_tongue:
Performance can control sample start right?
Can you create a multi sample with several snare articulations and then use a Performance to surf them? <- next thing to be tested :stuck_out_tongue:

Live drumming, it’s so easy.

the hidden trig idea is great thx for that…

Now I´m working a technique I call masking, It works very nice with samples, you set the “always on” triggers to Start = 0 and the default start to max, then you can use a performance pad to control start negatively so more pressure make the sound fade in with a nice articulation, also the attack and filter is your friend.

Check on this video pads 2 has a hidden snare roll and 7 a hidden “conga”. Also you can set a /24 permanent roll so you can add articulations playing with the pad and also the round trigger button.

That is an excellent idea… I’m gonna give it a shot at some point in the next couple days I think.

There’s no current way to randomize a fill, right?

With most parameters a simple YES + (parameter) randomizes that one parameter. It’d be nice if random Fills could be auto generated in this way…

1 Like