Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

Im currently bringing all my synths up to play with the digitakt at night, one by one so i can grab samples from them with no computer or vst distractions. Its been a great exersize in getting to know my synths parameters hands on with no computer and has led in new found territory for everything i have controlled with the DT.

The best so far are the access virus snow and volca FM, third would be blofeld.

Anything where the operators or oscillators evolve over time is getting the best resultsā€¦that is what is missing or takes a bit of thought on the DTā€¦

When trying things subtractive synths like Volca Bass or even Sub37 its not that juxtaposing to what the DT can doā€¦so its a bit same same and usually just one extra sound if its analogue.

Access virus snow wins for versitility and built in distortions amps and fx. Great pads, Gnarly Basses, hurty noise and banging distorted drums and FM bells to boot. 4 very different voices from 1 box.

Once you get used to the menu diving its not any more complex than Elektron stuff. And you start to think about programing in alternate ways.

2 Likes

Yes but not for voices

4 voices with 2 midi tracks eachā€¦twice the plocks and potential parameter changesā€¦8 ch but 4 voices if a virus.

for me, probably Zeeon on the iPad

1 Like

Just arrived to join forces with my Digitakt:

5 Likes

Nice! You know, a MEK or PEK plus the Takt/Tone combo would be pretty amazing. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I would go for a semi modular desktop synth. They are about the same size as the dt and you get lots of happy accidents that you can sample. I personally have a mother 32 with dfam, but also the O-Coast ist a good choice, Pittsburgh have interesting boxes as well as the Doepfer Dark Energy.

1 Like

Personal favorite of mine is the original Circuit. Small footprint, battery powered, and the only sounds Iā€™m limited to are the ones I can create in the Editor. Iā€™ve already made a handful of custom sounds (like 5-6) and they are versatile enough to make many different tracks/genres with. The mono station is also dope in tandem with the DT.

My ā€œliveā€ set up (Iā€™ve yet to play any shows) is a DT sequencing a Circuit, then running into an SP404a for FX/recording/resampling abilities.

The 404a/sx is especially helpful for sequencing/triggering long stereo samples.

2 Likes

My favorite setup which I use for smal jam sessions with friends is the Digitakt and the Electribe 2.
With the 8 Sample parts from the Digitakt and 8/16 Midi tracks/parts from the Electribe 2 for the synth or drum sounds it give you a huge range of sounds. And I only have to carry the two smal devices.

In my studio, the Digitakt controls the System 1, Toraiz AS1 and the Minilogue.

+1 for performance mode on A4/AK and DT muting etc.! Iā€™ve got DT and AK as my main setup (and Sub Phatty and Yamaha MOX for bigger setups), picking up a used Blo today for another portable little box and the extra soundscapeā€¦

1 Like

You donā€™t use the electribe in the studio?

Do you sequence the electribe from the DT?

@xox,

I use the Electribe also in my Studio and I sequence her from the Digitakt.

Nord Drum 2, a source of infinite sampling materials, both tuned and percussive.
I donā€™t have a DT, but works like a charm with an MPC.

I think thatā€™s a good idea, just using it as a sound module is the way to go. I sequence my electribe from my Engine.

For me this works fine I call it Digitribe setup.
Sometimes the combo has some midi bugs (timing, note triggering failures) but mostly they run smoothly together.
I think they are made for each other and I hope that Korg brings an new update with a optimized midi contol?

Iā€™ve been using the DT with a Prophet 08ā€¦ itā€™s a lot of fun to make a split sound on the P8, then sequence say voice A with the DT and use voice B to improvise over live.

itā€™s not directly what topic suggests but to me sounds like a good idea to have a recording sample session for DT from Reaktorā€™s generative ensembles such as Metaphysical Functions or Skrewell, especially if you got Lemurized one.

If only the thing had 16 voice polyphony to use 16 sample slotsā€¦

But, alas, it wants MIDI slavesā€¦ it NEEDS MIDI slavesā€¦

So where do I get some decent slaves?

I started with a Blofeld, figured itā€™s mutlitimbral and has some sweet sounds for the price, but Iā€™m on the fence about keeping it. Not super inspiring, and the knobs are funky (itā€™s brand new). For the price, it probably canā€™t be beat by other hardwareā€¦ so Iā€™m looking at ā€œsoftwareā€ but maybe in iOS?

Iā€™m now looking at either Korg plugKey, or some interface to use an iPad as a synth module. New iPad is $300, so even with a $100 interface, this is less than a Blofeld! Thatā€™s $100 left for software to keep it even. I think a LOT of software can be had for $100. Would this be stable to use live on stage? Probablyā€¦ And I could use LoopyHD with clock-sync alongside the DT!

Are there any multitimbral iOS synths? If not, what are good AU apps? I donā€™t think NAVE is, or Animoog (those are my 2 favs on my iPad2), but I donā€™t own that many! I have the Moog Model D, SunrizerXS, DM1, and a few others. Can I use something with InterAppAudio to route MIDI channels to different non-AU apps?

Or is there something besides Blofeld that will be awesome and fill out my tracks?

Check this thread out

1 Like

You can plug the USB of the DT directly into the iPad if you have a camera connection kit. There are many many apps that you can use, Where to startā€¦

KQ Dixie for FM synth (and access to thousands of pre-sets from Yamaha synths)

Korg Synths
Moog synths
Zeeon
Kauldron
Ripplemaker

Combine it with AUM and Bram Bos apps or the AU3 fx and synths andā€¦ well, as a sound source there is nearly no end to the options available on iPad.

1 Like

Iā€™m using a MicroMonsta and Behringer Model D with my Digitakt. Both are incredibly affordable and sound great, though theyā€™re admittedly a bit ā€œbread and butterā€. Iā€™ve been thinking about swapping the Monsta for an Access Virus B/Indigo.

2 Likes