Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

I just ordered a Blofeld to pair with it, but I will probably give in and buy a Digitone at some point as well…

I will never get what does question are good for. It’s like asking what singer fits best to a guitar…

… of course it’s the Virus ti2, your should know that :wink:

Blofeld is always a good choice. If you get the unit and it works perfect, don’t do a update! I had to downgrade mine because the update to V.1.24 can bring some bugs on older units. Blofeld has pretty cool FM functions on all three oscillators including filter fm!

2 Likes

i think its more like what singer fits well with another singer. as one would probably be looking for another singer to fill the range that the first singer does not have. I believe for most people that this is the case here, what synth fills in for what the digitakt doesn’t do. in this case if one is looking for polyphony the virus and the blofeld are great choices and likely compliment the digitakt well.

Yeah absolutely. But even in the theoretical question which singer fit to singer X, it’s still the question what someone wants to achieve. Genre and personal preference can be totally different. It would be easier if it was a question like, which synth completes synth X. But a Digitakt can play all kind of samples…
Still interesting to read some of the „answers“ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I and some of the other elektronauts posted a few tips and tricks in a Blofeld specific thread on this forum. Here is the link:

It became a very nice collection of knowledge about anything that’s Blofeld related. Really interesting for every Blofeld user! (Or should I call them members of Spectre?..just a James Bond reference;) )

There are even infos about the creation and import of wavetables.

Sorry for being off-topic!

nice! thanks so much for sharing. I’m sure I’m going to have lots to learn when it shows up

1 Like

There’s a pretty juicy one in the Korg Radias as well.

For me, the best synth to pair with the DT is the Korg Minilogue. Not only because of his great sound, mostly because of his amazing polyphonic step sequencer. You can set a grid resolution of 1 bar per step. This means you can easily build slow chord progressions over 16 bars - it’s the perfect partner synth for the DT :metal:

4 Likes

I love the DSI OB-6 Desktop… the VCOs sound just amazing…
super sweet filers, unsion mode, polyphonic, analog saturation,
delay, reverb, chorus, seq & arp… what do you need more?

I own the Monologue and its a perfect companion to the DT for bass-lines and leads and such. I’m looking for another desktop synth that can do pads and keys so far the only thing that really has my ears tickled is the Roland SH-01A it can do poly mode now and some pads in some of the demo’s I’ve heard sound really lush. Just dont know about the keys and chords though. I’m no Herbie Hancock but want to add some odd chord stabs in here and there. Whats everyone think?

There needs to be more options for small multitimbral synths.

2 Likes

If I had to pick only one, the OB-6. It just sounds so over-the-top ridiculously good. It can make huge, dripping analog sounds but it’s a bit more cutting and precise than a vintage Oberheim to my ear. So I think it works with the modern sound of the Digitakt (to the extent you can say the Digitakt has a “sound”) better than a fat n’ sloppy vintage machine while still adding a big dose of real live analog flavor to your tracks.

I guess you would want diversity, and the Virus TI is still hard to beat for diversity

Yep, if money is no object, that synth will do very nicely :smirk:

iPad apps like Gadget are great. You can sequence eight different synths in Gadget for example; and, imho, they sound great. It can be as simple a setup as an iPad, Gadget ($40), a cable for MIDI, then the lightning connector to iPad from USB end of MIDI cable you use. That’s it. Easy. Control the parameters in Gadget via the knobs in the DT. A lot less cable and wire mess than with hardware synths. Plus, in my experience, an iPad is more immediate and less hassle than using laptop/computer synths.

I tried doing this with Gadget but every time I would start the pattern in DT, it would “reset” a lot of parameters in Gadget to 0 values, like the filter and other random stuff, because of the default CC parameters in the DT MIDI track. Even though I did not have any parameters locked in the sequencer, and had not tweaked any of the CC values, they were all 100% at default, it was still sending those default values to Gadget upon hitting Play on the DT.

Just curious to hear your thoughts on this. Have you run into this problem or know if there’s a way to resolve it? I didn’t mess with it much, started to feel like too much hassle.

I guess I could set all the CC numbers to numbers that aren’t used in Gadget, but it still kind of bugs me that it’s trying to send those over to Gadget without being parameter locked or actively tweaked

I’d have to say my modular.

2 Likes

ask away!

I haven’t had any of those problems, surprisingly. I do use an Octatrack though. I just go into each Gadget synth, set the MIDI channel (like Berlin Ch. 1, Lexington Ch. 2, etc.), and assign the CC values in Gadget itself (tap on the CC in the Gadget synth list of parameters that comes up when you press Function in Gadget and then twist the encoder in the Octatrack). I switch to “Advanced” in the Korg Settings so that I can access all the MIDI stuff.

I’m honestly surprised it works smoothly and is easy to set up given that we’re talking about the Octatrack and the walled MIDI garden that is the Korg Gadget :slight_smile:

2 Likes