Best synth to pair with Digitakt? If you only had one

probably, i dont use is for anything other than manual stuff.

Waldorf Quantum.

3 Likes

A4. But here’s a thought. The Rytm is also a synth of sorts.

1 Like

I’m using a nord4r with mine , nice pads , bass and very usable fx on each of the 4 parts.

Virus would be good , and blofeld.
Any multitimbral box with nice fx , multiple outs and possibly routing audio into it.

Micro modular x2

Check the Micromonsta thread… Sounds great !

Yamaha TQ5:

• It looks awesome
  • It complements the DT ease-of-workflow with the usual Yamaha menu-diving
  • It’s square
  • It has a button marked “Job” that you can press ironically when you are out of work
  • It has 32K BYTES RAM
  • It tells you what day it is
  • Everything on the front panel is at a 30 degree angle. Perfect for tweaking after imbibing a bottle of “muse-bringer”
73 Likes

korg electribe E2
It’s multi-timbral
Has some performance effects
Relatively cheap

2 Likes

want :joy:

3 Likes

Monomachine! Is multitimbral and offers a very broad palette of sounds. Is not sounding so fat, so its better suited for proper Mixdowns.

Alternatively a Waldorf Blofeld seems to fit as well.

OP1 is awesome (lots of different Synth Engines, lots of diversity), but like you said: You need a USB MIDI Host (something like the Kenton USB MIDI Host) to free yourself from using a computer as a MIDI Proxy.

Analog Four is obviously awesome as it offers the same Sequencer and has more functionality inside that Sequencer (like Parameter Slides). But the A4 doesnt offer a vast Soundpalette as its simply “just” an analog Synthesizer with limited Waveforms (no Wavetables and such).

Novation Peak could also be a great machine as it has plenty of controls to shape a myriad of sounds. but its not multitimbral and (probably) a bit too expensive - unless you wanna sample tons of 8-Voice Sounds and not care so much about your great Digitakt MIDI Sequencer :wink:

__

I would say: Grab a Monomachine! Its already a legend and sounds fantastic! Due to sampling you can capture the Chords you created on the Digitakt first and then use the individual Tracks controlled with the MIDI Sequencer of the Digi to get the rest of your sounds. The MnM also benefits from the better sounding Effects of the Digi if you sample it a lot.

4 Likes

i was going to suggest a monomachine as well

Can confirm. MnM+Dt is excellent combo

4 Likes

DT with MnM seems to be nice but how to browse sounds (on MnM) by program changes?? In MnM sounds are stored by kits so how to manage that issue?

Monomachine looks cool, but I was thinking yesterday that what if the next minitron (digitakt sized Elektron device) is a digital synth like the monomachine?

Being that the monomachine and machine drum are both digital legacy products it would make sense to repackage that code in the digitakt form factor with updated ui, overbridge premium, better patch management.

Thinking about this it’s actually really cool that the basic hardware layout and interface of the digitakt could be changed up really easily to a monomachine revamp.

I would but one in an instant.

Either way I think we will see a synth in digitakt/heat form soon.

I realised too that the eight knobs on the digitakt are assignable to midi cc and I have Reason with tons of synths.

Using the midi hw interface in Reason you can lock certain synths to a midi channel.

I can then save the Reason track as the same name as my pattern on the digitakt and with the cc assignment on the digitakt I don’t have to touch Reason anyway, can even do multiple parameters with one knob via combinators :dizzy_face:

So before I jump into anything I’m going to try Reason out.

Thanka for the great ideas though, and if I make anything decent on Reason with the digitakt I will post it up as an example

4 Likes

i once was a second too late getting a monomachine for 500 euro on ebay. still love to get my hands on one, but prices seem to be much higher since it was discontinued. Some of my favourite elektron related tracks or videos were done with a MnM

I think it is a good idea to learn digitakt inside out, for example also learn to play with one hand completely.,
soon elektron will release something else, big chance it is a digital performance synth…

and don’t underestimate the synth (single cycle waveform) possibilities on digitakt

4 Likes

Depends on what you want?

Analog goodness with built in sequencer Analog 4
Powerhouse of multi tribral versatility Access Virus Ti2
Fun 4 part VA with easy to control editing NORD Lead 4 or A1
Wavetable madness with huge depth of sound design Blofeld.

So many good options to be honest.

2 Likes

Well, I only have one HW synth, and that’s a Micromonsta. Cheap, wavetable synthesis (including uploading your own if you want), range of modulation options. It doesn’t have a built-in sequencer, but it has a highly programmable arp, which I find works well when noodling around with patterns on DT.

Hmm so just had a jam on linked to the computer. Think I will be getting a hardware synth. Reason linked to the digitakt was a bit meh, sounded great but felt a bit laggy.

Hard pushed to decide but probably Nord G2 Engine…

Runners up - ND2, A1r, NL4.