Best Flanger effect

Searching for the best Flanger FX: eurorack module, plugin, pedal… The format is not important as long as there is the futuristic and alien electro sound. To use on synths and drums.

Can’t beat two tapes set up and pressing your finger down on one of 'em :wink:

I’d also like to know what a real great flanger is. I haven’t been able to get that 60s/70s whooshy, tape sound that you hear on Hendrix, Zeppelin, Beatles, etc. Every flanger I’ve heard in a DAW is metallic and “modern”. I know there are some tape plugins out there with flange options like u-He Satin and Retrocolor–those are worth looking into some more.

That being said, I’ve used the flanger on my buddy’s Octatrack to apply to some JP08 chords and I thought that shit sounded really good.

1 Like

The Earthquaker Devices Pyramids is my favorite pedal flanger I’ve ever heard. Stereo too!

4 Likes

The strymon deco’s flanger is pretty great. Don’t use it much cause i have it sort of “hardwired “ on my octatrack outputs.

Although i must admit i have been looking at videos of the old purple boss ones after i saw a couple of vlog’s where the jhs dude nerds out on boss pedals and some videos have it sounding pretty tasty on synths.

3 Likes

boss de 200

1 Like

The Aira Demora’s flanger preset is pretty nice. Can’t find a demo, I’ll try and conjure something up.

I know what you’re after though, that very clean, crisp electro flanger effect.

The built in flanger effect on the MX-1 mixer is really decent as well.

3 Likes

Amazing track! I can’t believe it has passed me by.

1 Like

Anyone tried the Moog MF Flanger?

1 Like

BF-2 x DM-2

Hats from a basic 808 kit on the TR-8S, first dry, then running through the eight different flanger types on the MX-1 mixer master fx. Then I turn that off and bring the kick & snare in (they’re not going through any effects, obviously) for a bit more fun and activate the Demora. The Demora has the stock “Demora Flanger” preset loaded from the Aira modular customizer library:

It does give a pretty large volume boost on that preset when you activate it, but you could fix that in the customizer. The feedback parameter as it stands can get pretty wild on it, as you can hear. You can tweak it to your heart’s content though, eg add a virtual filter module or something, there are still three free slots.

@klerc let me know if you want to hear some synths through it or anything.

1 Like

I’m going to take this opportunity to plug this very amateurish electro mix I did the other week, which features that track and many more like it. :cheeky:

3 Likes

These are good.

1 Like

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/standalone-instruments-1/fusion-box/ Flanger plus extra fusion. (Also comes in a module)

1 Like

My fave is the UAD MXR flanger/doubler. Wish I could have the hardware version somehow… Am getting a Boss MD500 at some point for sure too, but haven’t tested one IRL yet.

1 Like

That fusionbox flanger sounds really meaty indeed! Such a shame the fusionbox has a artefacty sound when used as a delay (tastes are subjective I know), I’d have bought one by now otherwise. If they ever decide to make a version with more BBD chips inside, its going to be instant GAS no doubt

But yeh, for flanging, does it really get much better than the fusionbox?

1 Like

This one is insane:

7 Likes

I really like the Valhalla SpaceModulator, and it’s free if you have bought any of their other plugins.

https://valhalladsp.com/shop/modulation/valhalla-space-modulator/

3 Likes

Nice. I like your drum beat exemple. Just my taste :+1:

1 Like

Ha, cheers. I just listened to it back with headphones and realised how much clipping there is with the Demora active, sorry about that.

1 Like

So many advices. Thanks.
Unfortunately now I am lost :relieved:
I should mention my interest for the XAOC Kamieniec…demos sound amazing!