Been out of the game for a minute. New synths to look out for?

Digitone is awesome, and from what I’ve read make a perfect pair for the DT.

2 Likes

A synth you like and want, and can keep mid to long term.

1 Like

Dear lord that thing is the price of a car.

3 Likes

Moog Grandmother I’d recommend and maybe the Dreadbox Erebus v3 which sounds great and is great value for money.

2 Likes

Mother 32…

+1 for Digitone. Most versatile synth I’ve ever had in my hands.
I suggest you have a listen at @boboter’s sound, lots of beautiful sounds coaxed out of the DN :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Toraiz AS-1.

3 Likes

Minilogue

Second for the AS-1

1 Like

This. Don’t follow the elusive musical unicorn - ie. Don’t let others tell you what you want. You’ll lose days worth of productivity and fun.

3 Likes

The 0Coast is so fucking awesome if you’re not looking to go full modular. It’s one of my favorite synths. I also have a Virus C, which is a beast. I’d def. recommend both.

5 Likes

difficult question to answer. like: “what kind of underwear should I buy?” or “what’s my favorite color?”

if there are synths you miss before your sell-off, and you were productive with them, get them again. don’t have to get the latest and greatest, unless you’re excited by something in particular.

I’d recommend steering clear of the Manther though. lots of potential, but too many issues going on there still.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

And yes, the Digitone is an excellent choice to accompany the Digitakt. You can basically stay in the same mindset while working in both. And sampling the DN sounds with the DT is a lot of fun, too.

2 Likes

I think two good questions to ask yourself are:
“What kind of music is inspiring me at the moment?”
“How much time can I allocate to making music?”

I think the DN is great great choice for sound quality and capabilities. Plus you’re already with Elektron workflow, so that saves you production time.

However, you maybe feeling more inspired by analog these days, with some extra time to learn and integrate different types of synths. I think in terms of analog character and modulation capabilities, the Erebus v3 seems fantastic (definitely want to get my hands on one).

YEA - That is the reason to make something creative of your own, feel free, no matter what the internet says!
I don’t really understand people who ask what to get. It is very personal, of course trial and error can be a thing but still - a quest of the artist.

1 Like

You didn’t specify requirements and budget for the synth, but since you mentioned the Access Virus… I recently got a Virus B for 420€ with shipping included. If you need a multi-timbral knobby VA synth the B is one of the best options under 500€.

New high profile synths since June:

Moog One
Yamaha MODX
Dreadbox-Polyend Medusa
OP-Z
Usual truckload of new Eurorack modules - just can’t keep up

O-Coast vs Manther - I could have sworn somebody actually started a thread on this very battle a few months ago. I think I voted O-Coast, but that’s because I have enough self-sequencing analog synths already.

2 Likes

If you’re using Digitakt for percussion, maybe grab another Digitakt and load it up with synth samples. Some great packs out there from usual suspects like Samples From Mars, but also lots of great free ones. Sure would give you the widest variety of sounds.

But if you’re more after something interesting and knobby to explore, rather than just a multitude of synth sounds…

Digitone looks like the perfect paring as others have mentioned.

I just bought a Digitakt myself and when I get some free time plan on pairing it up with my Nord Lead 2x (A, B, C, D parts).

I’m keeping an eye out for the Behringer Pro-One clone.

Virus TI has stood the test of time

Erica Synths Techno System

2 Likes