Beatmaker 3 app for iPad

Yeah, there are like 20 purpose-specific buttons with shift functions + nice pads + interface + USB hub + huge memory once you chuck one in there + q-knobs + 2 x midi + bunch of functions poss missing from BM3 (tho this could poss be vice versa too) + total daw integration + etc etc + touchscreen. If portability/minimal cables is key, you aren’t gonna get the above on an ipad setup…

I wanna be able to also sequence/sample from my Op1 in to live, and same from my ipad. Doing those things with an ipad/Beatmaker setup will be grief/internal routing pita/more cables etc. Im fine paying out for Live if this thing totally nails the portable scratch pad/sound design bank I’ve been wanting for a long time… And besides that side of it it looks like a deep/useful instrument for shows etc and nice hands on drum machine for daw (can’t use my Push2 rewired in Sonar which sucks when I’m not working in ableton…).

2 Likes

Yeah, I have similar plans. Making stuff on the go with Gadget, transfer the project to the desktop Gadget, export to MPC live for standalone and so on…

1 Like

I don’t know about a red herring. The big screen makes wave editing easier and also the fact that you can see the wave form makes it easier to identify a file. Ditto, color. The big screen means there’s fewer combination button presses to move around. You’re not likely to not notice if you’re in midi mode like the OT for example. Gestures are way more natural than knobs on the OT for wave zoom or scan. Browsing the library with a flick is nice. I mean, there are plenty of comparisons which are coincidentally areas where the OT needs improvement.

Two where I don’t know if live will match up - the way the OT records tempo synced loops is great. They start on the one. The go to the end of the bar. The ends are clean and you don’t have to slide them around to make them sync up. That’s all great. And I still am not clear if you can apply effects to the line in. I’ve seen monitor level, but that’s it. Anyone know?

I meant a red herring in terms of drawing you into a comparison between Live and an iPad.

1 Like

Me 3!
Apple make an iPad running OS X the same size as the current iPad Pro and you might keep my business. As of now I will be switching to a surface book.

Me too - been using Mac for 20 years but users are crying out for a proper touch based OS. iPad’s environment is too enclosed. And that MacBook touch strip - WTF were you thinking Apple?!!!

I used to update my laptop regularly, but I haven’t updated my MacBook Air for 5 years because Apple a) haven’t released anything worthwhile updating to and b) it still runs current versions of Logic, Studio One and all Adobe programs without even a stutter!

Having said that I’d hesitate to move to a Windows machine, no matter how sexy Surface looks, I doubt very much it will still be running smoothly in a year, let alone 5… Windows machines always slooooooooow dooooooooooown and become unusable.

Anyway back to Live…

Windows os might as well be an alien language after being on a mac os for so long!

I use windows 7 at work - but not for pleasure or music - and never without some level of frustration - but I can get around fine.

The last time I used windows for music was in 1997 running Scream Tracker to produce drum and bass! Before that - Octamed on an Amiga 500 producing hardcore!

2 Likes

Octamed was my first venture into production. Loved it

2 Likes

Same for me.
I still posses my Amiga 2k and octamed. Don’t reboot it it since 1999 !
Maybe it works

2 Likes

I think Amigas were possibly the pinnacle of computing :robot:

2 Likes

Right, it was. But commercial was not their first ability. So it vanished in the museum of computing. A pity they where so efficient. Put in the grave by Microsoft and Mac, shame for human development.

Well I think there were two problems.

1. They weren’t used by professionals in any field (PC had office workers, Macs had creatives).

2. They invested loads in that awful CD32 gaming thing which flopped and they basically folded after that.

But long live Amigas! Anyone remember that game with speedy boots? Can’t remember what it was called - 2 players run around collecting power-ups to take out each. Best game ever - after Leisure Suit Larry!

1 Like

Your points are right except that I was professional and use Amiga 4000 to produce 3d pictures and movies for industrial marketing and Scala soft with tactile screen for advertising in stores and conventions. I sold few products with “Amiga inside”. It was mid 1990’s and at this time such products was a kind of pioneers way of promotional advertising for the customers (at same time Microsoft begin to sell pentium 100 to non pro users, a real snail compares to Amiga)

1 Like

Apologies for pirates the thread. I stop here.

Thanks to forgive me

1 Like

As a BM2 user I’m looking forward to this update. Hoping it’s not 64-bit only.

Buying this today…

Let us know what you think. I bought it on Saturday. iPad quirks already pissing me off a bit but seems pretty powerful

No midi clock slave on mobile app (iOS, android) !!

So definitely not for me!

Is there round robin onboard? how’s the song mode? how’s MIDI automation? piano roll/seq grid nudging?