Battles

Good plan!! I like it…

The only idea that comes to mind is that the pattern is predefined somehow so we’re all working with the same starting point like the other challenge :slight_smile:

EDIT: The pattern should be identifiable in the track somewhere but any truncation/repetition is ok!

Likewise feel free to disregard this idea too :+1:[/quote]
Although I like the idea of a predefined pattern, how would this work, especially across multiple Elektron boxes with different track counts?

Damn ! OT is my only box ^^
I would really like having an AR, and maybe an A4 as well, but they are still far…

As for the deadline, one month would seem OK to me, what do you guys think ?

One week for voting seems good, I think.
Is there a way to set a voting system in this forum ? Or from a third party website a la doodle ?

@lymntronics I’m not a big fan of excluding anyone, especially people that enjoyed the game :slight_smile:
Maybe this should be reconsidered if there are too many loops…

I was unsure how close wavetables could be seen as synthesis.
Doesn’t MnM nest something similar ?
If Zillamatic is OK, I’ll be glad to try something from this :slight_smile:

Can you use the internal drum samples in the MnM?

also, how do we vote?

I think it’s ok to leave out some machines from missions as we go forward. As someone else said earlier, it gives people a break from doing a mission every month, and means the missions can be more specific.

@Baddcr
If I’m honest I’m not too keen on the idea of starting with the same pattern. As poonti said it would be hard to keep it standard for all the machines. Save the idea for a future mission though! I think currently synthesis only and one pattern are enough restrictions.

@Lying Dalai
Single cycle waveforms on the OT sound ok, as long as they’re not too crazy and go further than what you could achieve with the other machines.

@djd_oz
It’s easy to set up a free survey on Google Forms, or similar service. Here’s a very rough example:
http://goo.gl/forms/FomiHSQEIg
Responses get put into a form and then can be counted afterwards (maybe the winner who set the mission counts the votes and announces the next winner).
To stop cheaters, would it be worth asking people for their name on the vote? This means the vote would not be anonymous, but whoever counts the votes can keep it quiet. :slight_smile:

Also, I’ve chosen an Analog Keys as my prize! Hopefully Elektron see my email early tomorrow to sort out the details :slight_smile:

I am soo pumped for this! Shall we decide on a time frame?

One more question… How will we know if the track/pattern was/wasnt prepared before the competition? The nice thing about the sample competition is everyone was given the same time frame because the chances of somone already having a track only using that sample on an elektron box is virtually impossible.

calendar months sounds eminently sensible
i agree that the project definition should be tightly worded and should definitely be structured such that the work can only commence after the start date (i.e. definition should not allow old work to be rehashed) - seems unfair to exclude machines, unless there was a rotation in place to ensure all had fair chance per year or dual missions were run concurrently (i.e. chose from 2 briefs)
arguably voting should be limited to (previous)entrants and certainly only to active elektronauts and no voting for self
i’d be excited by very restrictive briefs

Do you really think that people would cheat for a game where there is nothing to win ? I can’t believe people can be that stupid.
I mean, the aim of a Mission is not even to win, just finding some creative uses of our gear to play music… For me, the “winning” objective is just a carrot to push me to get something done.
So OK for having a rule specifying that there must only be brand new material, but let’s be optimistic and light-hearted at least for the first Mission :slight_smile:

I found a way to vote, Doodle can be used quite simply for this.
Plus there is a system of invites, so that only people that participated to the Mission can vote. I think this would be a good start.
I don’t know the scale of such Mission, I would say that if we are 20 that would be a top estimation, don’t you think ?

Zillamtic wrote
@Lying Dalai
Single cycle waveforms on the OT sound ok, as long as they’re not too crazy and go further than what you could achieve with the other machines.

Ahem I’m a bit puzzled, I don’t really know what the other machines do/don’t.
I haven’t tamed OT yet, so I’m not sure I can do something really crazy…
Would you mind being a bit more specific on what can be used or not ?

At last : it would be cool if Zillamatic could post the Mission in the Science (Fiction?) Lab part of the forum…
Zillamatic, do you think you could ask this privilege as Sci Lab winner ?
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve messaged Fredrik, I’ll let you know what he says about posting the community-run challenge in the Science Lab forum.

I think anything on the OT is fair game, as long as start use basic waveforms, like what you would find on the Analog machines, such as squares, sawtooth, triange waves etc.
I think it’s fair to say no resampling + recording like the previous challenge, as the other machines cannot do that.

yeah, that didn’t come across quite right, my bad, tbh it’s not my party, just pitching thoughts that might get me hooked in given there’s no candy at the end :wink:

People could vote with comments. This would keep votes limited to registered forum users and not just participants. It would be nice to attract more listens to these songs from within the community and not just the other half dozen people that made a song whichever time around.

Hey @Lymntronics, the thing is that I don’t believe you can setup a voting system within this forum, apart maybe the old- fashioned way, where everyone express himself in a post.
How do you see this ?

Hey @Lymntronics, the thing is that I don’t believe you can setup a voting system within this forum, apart maybe the old- fashioned way, where everyone express himself in a post.
How do you see this ?
[/quote]
We could just PM our votes to whoever is hosting the competition.

Sold !
:slight_smile:

So I’ve not heard back from Elektron, whether we can post this in the Science Lab subforum, so I’ll take that as a no. I guess they want to keep that for official contests started by Elektron.

If everyone’s happy with the rules, shall we start this soon?

I’m dead excited about this idea and keep checking back in case I can join in on a challenge/mission/battle. I’ve really enjoyed the ones on the op-1 forum. My favourite ones were the really restrictive ones that helped me get so much out of my synth with so little. Does wonders for the creativity :slight_smile: Have also really enjoyed that participants are usually keen to listen to and critique the other tracks. Plus, of course, working to a deadline means you actually produce something at the end. I could really use some help in this department with Elektron gear, as I find it hard to move from a really cool kit/pattern to a bunch of patterns in a song.

Just start it! I started a few ARLabs … didn’t get much participation, didn’t get any complains from Mr. Elektron.

I just had time to catch up on this thread.

Community run challenges is a great idea, personally I’m more fond of calling them “Elektronauts Missions” than “Battles”. Battles is such an overused term in these situations in my opinion.

I could create another forum named “Elektronauts Missions Briefs” where the community could run these challenges, in order to keep them separate from the official Science Lab Challenges (there will be more of these …).

In order to go ahead, the new forum would also need a few moderators. Who’s up for that?

@fredrikalm this is a very nice idea, I’d be glad to moderate if you need people for this.
Another very nice thing would be to add a voting system, do you think this would be possible ?

Tell me when it’s ready :slight_smile:

The first community mission is live! Mission #1: A Single Pattern

You have a month to submit. Good luck everyone