Bass and chromatic pitch

Bummer.

Brought this back from the dead, since it’s something that immediately hit me in the head after I received my Rytm and turned on the unit…

Really, really hoping for a fix. An instrument should be in tune, right?

well, it’s a relief to find that this is a known issue and that the experience from the other thread today ties in with it, slightly underwhelmed by the amount of feedback, but components have tolerances and certain chips have sweet spots, some will be designed to be broad and others nice at a target range, we shouldn’t be too surprised if there’s an issue related to the usage of chips/etc that doesn’t permit the engines to do what we might wish, it may put a dent in some hopes for general machines to compliment the bespoke ones

brings me back to the annoyance that fine tune (and 14bit control) wasn’t ported over from the A4, because at least we could have easily tuned filters and oscillators to work in a narrow target range

fwiw, when i pitched the oscillator higher, above bass zone, the key track seemed fairly tight, it sounds like the key track is not so useful at the low freq end which may be a reflection of the circuit choices

hopefully all this will play out well for us after overbridge, having user adjustable key track would help, same w filter which doesn’t track i think

1 Like

I was looking for the nonexistent Master Tune adjustment on my RYTM. Just ended up wondering at how that is not an available user setting?!? This seemed like the closest thread topic wise, so back up it comes. Is there some hidden way of adjusting the master tuning that I’m just missing?

Keep us updated on the ticket tsv.

Cheers

Any word on this? We’re at a year and a half…Even in Elektron time that’s longer than “not quick”.

Hi everyone,
Received my Rytm a few days ago, brand spanking new. My first Elektron and i’m more then impressed by it.
But i’m also having issues in analog chromatic mode, which for me is a major feature of this unit. (Creating basslines, melodies, powercords, etc.)
I get satisfying results with cowbell settings, but with basses and other sounds it’s hard to get a correct octave going.
This occurs with both the onboard pads and also via external midi keyboard.
Samples have tip top tuning & calibration btw.

Anybody got updates on this, or are they to be expected, or are there workarounds? I need to be in charge of the notes

there is a workaround, but it requires the use of the LFO for fine tuning offset… a retrigging pulse lfo with the slowest speed in half cycle mode should do the trick

1 Like

hold mode on a ramp, using phase to get an upper limit is also a nice way to visualise it - then use LFO depth for fine control
but the point was - use hold mode - no need to mess about with speed

1 Like

Thanks, will check it out

Hey any update on this? Has anyone been able to fix the tracking?

Not quite sure how anyone could ‘fix’ the tracking, it’s not even the kinda thing a workaround would apply to, but I’m sensing from the comment you haven’t tried all the new machines in 1.30 which all play amazingly as bass and lead synths, in some cases outshining the A4 … but there’s no tracking for the filter

I only got my rytm the other day actually. I have got the latest update, 1.30 isn’t it?

Basically the keyboard tracking is not correct so you cant really “play” the engines chromatically - although the cowbell seems to track fine. The bass engines dont seem to track well.

I’m here because I tried a little hack where I wrote an app that would route multiple midi notes (i.e. a chord played on a keyboard) to each of the different tracks. This way if I load the same sound (engine) in the various tracks and actually use it as a polyphonic synth in a way.

I hit more interesting issues with that when I noticed that each track on the rytm would sound slightly different with the same exact sound preset and engine (analog - no samples load). Should the same engine sound the same on the separate voices?

if you calibrate the machine after the correct 2+ hours idling I think they’re supposed to be very close (just subject to the small variances introduced by component variation)

The new machines that are strongest are the New Bass Drum variants, so you can only use those on the Bottom 4 tracks (i.e. only three voices) but other new models offer tracked core oscillators tunable to a root of C quite easily, to facilitate chromatic playing

I’ve done a similar thing to that in the past, it’s a great way to play chords where the constituent voices are subtly different (the A4 lets you do this too)

1 Like

good point, i haven’t checked the calibration

You’d only have been asked to calibrate if you updated the OS (to 1.30) yourself, in theory it shouldn’t be needed, unless exact copies of the same voice on compatible tracks sounds different

yeh, thats a nifty idea, going for impulse+noise+sample-based drums and using the bottom voices for 3-voice polysynth. Remember to use the copy/paste page hotkeys for setting up identical envs etc, speeds this up alot.

IIRC there was much praise regarding the improved pitch tracking of the new machines from the 1.30 update

Yes, after calibrating it is now tracking fine! Indeed I had to perform the update myself.

1 Like

Hi,
I want to use BT5 for a bass line and i don’t know how to tune BD1 (in the chromatic mode) in C with the tune synth (-64 +63). With a bass tuner for a bass guitar this not works)…thank you for your help !

1 Like