Auto channel midi mapping

The manual is pretty vague about note mapping for the auto channel, there are a few note numbers designated in the ranges which do not appear to do anything:

24-31 are track trigs 1-8 for plays free, 32 is ?, 33-35 are transport, 36-43 are samples trigs 1-8, 44-47 are ? 48-55 are midi track trigs if plays free, 56-59 are ?

So 32,44,45,46,47,56,57,58 and 59 do not seem to be used, the manual indicates they are but does not tell what, has anyone figured it out?

I’m wondering if it is a typo @eangman @Olle

1 Like

Correct.

The first table is just trying to show which octaves are used for which purpose, when in fact some of the note numbers in the octaves are not used. It’s a bit clumsy.

4 Likes

I made a note mapping with Octatrack note numbers / names, a few details :

NOTE MAPPING

• C1 - G#1 (24-31) | Track Trigs | Trigger PLAYS FREE AUDIO TRACKS control

• A1 (33) | SEQUENCER stop | A#1 (34) | Seq Start/Stop | B1 (35) | Seq Start/Restart

• C2 - G#2 (36-43) | SAMPLE TRIGS | Trigger Samples assigned to tracks (TRK DEFAULT)

• C3 - G#3 (48-55) | MIDI Track Trigs | trigger PLAYS FREE MIDI TRACKS control

• C4 - (60-71) | TRACKS RECORDERS / PICKUPS (*)

• C5 - B5 (72-83) | Trigger track default sample CHROMATICally, octave - 1

• C6 - B6 (84-95) | Trigger track default sample CHROMATICally, octave 0

• C7 (96) | Trigger track default sample CHROMATICally, octave + 1

(*) TRACK RECORDER / PICKUP
C4 (60) | Combo rec
C#4 (61) | INAB rec
D4 (62) | INCD rec
D#4 (63) | SRC3 rec
E4 (64) | Pickup Play/Stop
F4 (65) | Multiply
F#4 (66) | Mute active track
G4 (67) | Cue active track
G#4 (68) | Active track up
A4 (69) | Active track down
A#4 (70) | Toggle Seq sync
B4 (71) | Toggle Seq sync+start

6 Likes

I edited my note mapping, some mistakes !
Tell me if I missed others !

Another confusing thing is that Octave #7 corresponds to C5…
Octave 3 made me think we could play 3 octaves at first.

IMHO the first 2 tables in the appendix c could be replaced with the actual mappings for each note, it would make it much more legible and avoid the potential for confusion.

2 Likes

I think these notes can be used with Audio Tracks midi channels too. I’m sure for Chromatics.

I just made a spreadsheet for quick reference, figured I might as well upload here as well in case it may be of use for other users.

https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/9/5/95965380d03b2a827698de18d6c5cd7d61d2ffd2.pdf

Edit - Link now points to new version.

4 Likes

I started mine too ! I would place notes on the left too. :wink:
Notes with octave number are important too I think. Ex 84 / C5.
I would add Plays Free trigger too, not obvious at first, when you begin with OT.

:spider: :wink: you’ll need to account for the gaps you were bemoaning (32 etc) if you want the leftmost columns to line up with the key notation (36=C etc) - but it’s a nice way to present concisely and clearly - making the gaps obvious is also helpful imho

1 Like

Good catch, I have revised it and made it bigger and changed the colours so that it should print better.
OCTATRACK AUTO CHANNEL NOTE MAPPINGS.pdf (51.6 KB)

8 Likes

Better with unused notes for sure.
I made this one, inspired by your first one, with notes numbers / names everywhere.

Note Mapping3b.pdf (44.8 KB)

6 Likes

It would be good if this was added to the manual maybe @eangman will consider it?

For any Squarp Pyramid users I also made a OT pyramid definition file here:

1 Like

Aren’t you just the best? :slight_smile: This is Elektronauts showing its best and most generous side.
Its a very useful table you have made and Ill be happy to put it in the manual.

6 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: Thanks and welcome :thup:

1 Like

With very kind @darenager autorisation and suggestions I made some changes to its clever mapping. :wink:
These versions are vertical, maybe you prefer horizontal. I can make several versions if needed.

Any suggestions in order to optimize it are very welcome !
It can be larger to fit more A4 format, I think about writing some words in FULL CAPS (Pickups), add eventual remarks / reminders…
Colors are maybe not the best, I was inspired by OT’s led colors.
Pitch 0 is same pitch as default sample pitch so I used the same green.

Note MappingColorVertical.pdf (205.5 KB)

Note MappingGreyVertical5.pdf (199.6 KB)

13 Likes

Nice! Thanks @sezare56 :elot: :chart_with_upwards_trend:

1 Like

Wow thx @darenager and @sezare56 for putting effort into this. Printed and on the wall.
Cool if it get’s to the final manual for the OT

2 Likes

Now you can find a sligthly Elektronified version of this table in the Octatrack User Manuals!

9 Likes

:thup:

5 Likes