Audio interface substitute for Scarlett 18i20

Hey, so I’ve been having a ball achingly tedious time trying to rid my Scarlett 18i20 (2nd Gen) of random audio clicks and pops, and it looks like there is no solution. The interface is about as useful as a box of frogs.
So, I’m looking to replace it with a interface that doesn’t have this issue and just as many, if not more, I/O points. (this is critical) Trying to keep this under $1000, under $800 preferably.
Alternatively if you think you have a solution for my audio pops that I haven’t tried I am open to suggestions.

Have you tried other audio interfaces already? You should definitely not be getting pops/clicks unless your buffer settings or hardware are horrible. I have a 6i6 2nd Gen (also had a first gen) with absolutely no issues, beyond buffer settings. I would say try another cheap interface for a few days and see if that is having the same issues, could come down to system optimization.

Make sure you are using the Focusrite USB driver (Not asio4all)

I do have an issue with OverBridge cutting out and needing to restart the 6i6, but hoping things are better with v2.

Second hand RME

3 Likes

I use a MOTU Ultralite MK4 with an old MK1 Traveler (stand-alone mode, 8 channel A\D over ADAT into the Ultralite).
Total cost is less than $800 and the performance is great.
16 inputs, MIDI…

As for your focusrite, what buffer are you using?
Have you researched your USB chipset on your computer and whether or not it is known to be problematic?

2 Likes

Any chance a unique / new usb card might help instead of using the one on motherboard.
Just a random question as I’m not familiar with it

i’ll give them a look.

1 Like

Get anything RME and never have another problem

3 Likes

thanks for the MOTU recommendation. i’ll definitely look into this set up more.
As for my buffer, it was at 128, but now 256. will probably change it back since that didn’t help. (i’m on win 10 so that’s as low as I can get it)

Never thought about the USB chip set. I use an ASUS ROG 750JM for music production and live shows. Never had issues with my old scarlett 4i8, but it didn’t have enough I/O so I “upgraded”. Looking into most other forums where people have this issue, and more and more it seems that it’s a issue with the interface itself, but they could be wrong. I would prefer if they were because I don’t have to spend $$$ on a new interface setup.

No problem with my 18i20 2nd gen, ensure you are using the correct drivers for the 2nd gen, also the Scarlett’s are picky about USB ports, make sure its not going thru a hub, and on a port on its own.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll double check this when i’m back infront of my setup. would it behoove me to use a USB3.0 port over a USB 2.0?

check your sample rates too, when I got my focusrite interface I got clicks and pops cause the sample rate in the mixcontrol software was different to DAW. easily overlooked setting

2 Likes

2nd Gen doesnt use Mixcontrol, its Focusrite control for 2nd gen, and they are different, and is also why some people experience audio problems too.

No harm in trying, mine is just plugged into its own USB2 port.

Try turning off the Bluetooth and WiFi temporarily then run some audio again. You can also run Latency Mon to see how the computer is performing.
http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Are you running the latest version of Focusrite Control? (I think this is 2.3.4)
What DAW are you using? Do you have Focusrite ASIO as driver type selected?

1 Like

I have no problems what so ever with this interface, I think for the money it’s great. Have an ADA8200 connected. I use it with a Mac Mini on OSX 10.13.6 if connected to computer. Last months have been using it as a mixer and preamp without computer, set and forget - works great. For me it’s good enough. Let the music play.

Edit: But I have low standards, I often record to 4-track cassette. So YMMV a lot! All good.

Gotta say MOTU…super solid. Currently using an Ultralite mk4 and 8A. Previously had the original Ultralite and before that the 2408 mkll. All have werked flawlessy.

Highly recommend. Look into MOTU :+1:

1 Like

IF I would ever upgrade, RME for sure. (shared note to self)

2 Likes

yeah, i’m on 2.3.4.

I’m on Ableton Live 10.0.0.5, and yes I have the focusrite ASIO driver selected.

and what happened when you turned off the laptop’s wifi and bluetooth? Run Latency Checker before and after and see if there is a difference.

Huh… I don’t know why i over looked that. I’ll check that out definitely. hope that fixes it. I’ve been building a Re-303 this past week and i’m trying to have it gig ready for this Sunday, so I haven’t been able to try everyone’s fixes yet. Thanks for all the help you guys!