Audio interface and overhub

hi

I am curious if I would be able to connect a USB interface to overhub as I would still require the inputs of the interface for my other synths but am out of USB ports on my MacBook!
Cheers and thx

Yes, especially if it’s a usb2 (or 1) - obviously if it needed more bandwidth then it depends on what else is loading the hub simultaneously

Working here with a MacBook Pro with 2 USB ports

USB Port one for Overdub and connected with Analog Four & Rytm, Sound Devices USBPre 2 audio interface and iLok 2 key

Second USB Port for Ableton Push 2

Works great but Overbridge is not stable now because of El Capitan

Ok thx
That is going to be very similar to my set up I think, with push 2
Hopefully the announced updates sort everything out
Great!

Yes, especially if it’s a usb2 (or 1) - obviously if it needed more bandwidth then it depends on what else is loading the hub simultaneously[/quote]
Oh and what did you have to do as far as set up to get the interface working? Or was it seamless?

i’m talking theoretically or logically
there are gremlins with certain devices and computers
but in principal there is nothing about your suggestion that seems tricky in terms of the hub and managing bandwidth - quite what happens within your daw is another matter - but the hub is not an obstacle

By USB interface i guess you mean an audio usb interface, no?

I always try to get it appart from the hubs, using 1 of the 2 ports of the Mac only for the audio interface, and the other port for the hub, since each port is managed appart by the CPU, so the main audio input/output through USB doesn’t have to compete with other data (MIDI, other audio, etc).

Theorically there wouldn’t be any problem, but just to put a personal example:
A few months ago I got the hub collapsed of midi messages, configuring feedback lights of one of my midi controllers, so the rest of the hub devices would be irresponsive and glitchy. If one of those devices were the audio interface, I bet the audio would suffer it with glitches, lags and artifacts.

That’s why to avoid this kind of (rare, but possible) situations, I always use my interface in a dedicated usb port of the laptop. On the other hand, I’ve seen many mates use their audio interface connected to the usb hub with no problems.

I was hoping with overhub being for audio it would work better though
So I might have to look at getting a FireWire interface then because right now my 2 USB ports are in use with the interface and push, and push needs to be hooked up direct, sans hub, cuz its proprietary messages going in and out, not midi!
Oh well, I have been looking at getting a FireWire mixer so this might become an excuse to spend some money, again!

connect push to your overhub and als connect push to the electricity, then it will work. connect your audio directly…

Let’s just stick with the facts - Overhub has nothing at all to do with Audio - it’s a USB hub. Nothing about it is influenced by audio. The important thing is that it is designed to protect each separate stream from influence from the others. So issues like the ones alluded to in the post above yours should not happen. That’s it, no black magic, nothing special about Overhub - it’s functionally the same as any other MTT hub. It’s also seriously low bandwidth that’s required by the Elektron boxes, so I can’t see how you end up with a situation where you feel obliged/forced to pursue FireWire solutions to work around it.
Whilst it is a bit flaky it may be tempting to find other solutions, but don’t tell yourself it is somehow more complicated than it is. The notion that USB Push won’t work through a USB hub strikes me as bizarre tbh, but I have no experience of it - your USB ports on your computer are in all likelihood part of another ‘internal’ hub. Tieing up a port with a low bandwidth device seems like such a waste if you have access to a MTT hub - the hub I bought cost £6 as opposed to £49 and it has the exact same USB3 microcontroller in it, works perfectly, it’s just a hub

Can I ask you which hub did you buy being MTT and with same microcontroller as Overhub? I’m interested in buying a new hub but if it can be under the 69€ Overhub costs, much better

Can I ask you which hub did you buy being MTT and with same microcontroller as Overhub? I’m interested in buying a new hub but if it can be under the 69€ Overhub costs, much better[/quote]
Someone in this thread discussed the GL3520 chip - the ins and outs of hubs and a few candidates are discussed in other threads - easy to Google for if you include MTT

the one I purchase is(was) linked, it seemed to become unavailable, there are many very similar - any utilising that chip that meet your other needs ought to be ideal and significantly cheaper

Many thanks! Definitely I’m gonna take a look on that and do some research