Arturia Keystep & A4

Hey guys anyone using the Arturia Keystep and the A4? on paper it looks great to me but I am wary of Arturia stuff after the their customer support and quality issues. Not to mention the chaos surrounding the BSP.

EDIT: I would also be using with my Mother 32.

I know the KMI QuNexus is supposed to be pretty good but I like the added sequencer capabilities, extended range and more 'key like ’ keys

using it with a rytm and it’s really versatile. you can easily chain the mother 32 to the A4’s midi thru port and play both via different channels or at the same time.

I use mine with iPad, Circuit, my Elektron boxes, everything. It’s brilliant!

Thanks guys. Juts what i wanted to hear!

Wish it was 37 keys instead of 32!

Hi, trying to use modulation on A4 with my key step, but nothing happens when I play with it…
Must to active something before? I can see on sound settings that there are some parameters already chosen for the modulation wheel, but when played from key step, no sounds changes happens…
Any idea?

The modulation wheel must send CC1. Don’t know Key Step, maybe the mod wheel is set to another midi message.
Pitchbend, notes and other CC work well ?

yes.oui.si. also aftertouch…

Hola how vas tu ? :content:
Check how to change modwheel CC on Keystep. :wink:

1 Like

Hello Folks,

I think I buy a keystep, I just want to know if it is possible to use this keyboard just with the A4 trig but keeping the OT in master. I read the other posts and nothing about that.

Yeah! Any keyboard you rig to Midi will set the note for whatever trig!

1 Like

I work for instance with just black trinity and I have a Keystep just to play the A4 ( i have also a midi solutions merger or an iconnectmidi 4 but maybe u don’t need one of these…for me was easy like that).

1 Like

Precisely I do not want any additional MIDI plug for now. And I do not see how to do it.

OT OUT -> AR IN
AR OUT -> A4 IN
A4 - ???
Keystep - MIDI OUT -> A4 ???

Keystep Out to OT In
OT Out to AF In
AF Thru to AR In

Set the Keystep’s MIDI channel number to the Auto channel of the OT. Set the OT’s MIDI sequencer tracks channel to the MIDI channel numbers of the AF’s synth tracks.

8 Likes

^ The OP requirements are a little ambiguous, but in that scheme, the Key step is not playing much of a role in terms of the A4 direct connection I think that is possibly what was envisaged

You could hack a low rent solution if a midi merge box is not at hand

Send a clock audio signal from the OT cue to drive the internal sequencer of the keystep, then this clock will merge in the Key step and it can feed the A4 direct with a ‘derived’ clock

I’m guessing the challenge is the inability to merge OT clock with Key step notes at A4 input

Keystep is really great btw

Velocity, PB and AT on the A4 adds a lot, as do the decent little keys, plus the ARP and SEQ are good too

Just thought i’d chime in that idea as the op post was a little unclear

This is a great setup as you can then use the OT’s Midi page to route Midi data to various machines and even have open the ability to use OTs sequencer tricks on various machines that are not possible- for example sending p-Locked arp values to the A4(you can even have sequences for A4s Midi Mapping-which can, on the A4 alone, only be live recorded). Then, on the OT you can change the midi channel and play a different instrument from the Keystep

4 Likes

This plays out far better than i had envisaged in practice

The key thing is to set up a channel matching the A4 auto channel - when it’s live (not the Track, it can be muted, but the Channel on page 2 of Note) it acts as a ‘merge’ of sorts … irrespective of the activity on the track, which can also add to the party

It’s quite useful and works when the focus on OT is elsewhere (unlike if you set the external keys to be on the OT auto channel, in which case you need to have focus)

Anyway - this use of Out is quite useful, even if not exploiting the OT MIDI tracks … i’m glad i’ve learned this about it … it’s only really been a viable thing to explore since the Keystep arrived, this extends its overall usefulness, especially as it’s so easy to change midi channel for use with other aspects of OT - for other devices further down the chain, you just need to set up a channel and make it live on another midi track

good stuff :thup:

3 Likes

Hi, I’ve already checked the CC, it is 1…so, i don’t understand why all is ok(notes and pitch) but the modulation wheel… On midi monitor it says it receives cc1 on channel 14 ( midi ch of the A4) so all
seems ok …
help?

works fine for me on normal or auto channel - are you sure you’ve checked the Receive CC box in midi settings

2 Likes

Thanks @avantronica :raised_hands::raised_hands::clap::clap:

some times we ( I mean myself…) don’t think on easy solutions :zonked:

I’m going to play some modwheels right now!:3lektron:

yeah!

3 Likes