Set the Arpeggiator input to be in sync?

Hi,

Is there some way to have the apregiator always in sync, even when you play notes manually using for example a keyboard MIDI controller.

Thanks!

i don’t follow, do u mean beyond setting speed in multiples of 6 ?

Hi Avantronica,

Is not related to the arp speed.

In most of the synthesisers I know, you have an option to have your arpegiator always in sync with the internal or the external clock. So no matter if you press a key a bit early or a bit late, the notes produced by the arpegiator will be always “quantised”.

In the A4 if I set a speed to play notes at a speed of 1/16 Bar (6) I need to play the first note perfectly on a 1/16 bar position to get the rest of the notes to play at 1/16 bar positions. If I play the first note with a bad timing, all the rest will play with a bad timing as well.

For now I’m using Ableton live as slave to quantise the notes I’m sending to the A4 Ar, obviously it will be a lot better to have the option to sync the A4 arp without using external gear.

I can give you some audio/video examples If you don’t got me this time.

Hopefully, one more option in the Notes Setup menu: Trig Quantize and a new Sequencer-Free Quantize

I think that is not possible, i understand, there’d need to be a new mode for only trigging on the 1/16th - this would apply to key in and arp out - can’t see it happening, but doesn’t do any harm to suggest to them !

So the only way to have the arp in perfect sync without using external gear is pre recording its notes, right?

by playing in time or step sequencing it, not so bad surely!

For me a big part of the very essence of an arp comes from its perfect timing, I’m a keyboardist and percussionist so my timing is not bad, but when you are playing live and doing many things at the same time, I think that the option of having the arp running always in sync is mandatory.

As I said I’m using Ableton to quantise the notes I play before to feed them to the arp, and besides the latency involved on the whole procedure, the difference is remarkable.

Just by curiosity, is there any other modern synthesiser with an arpegiator that can’t be synced to internal or external clock?

1 Like

I second that.
when playing live I don’t want to loose sync especially if I am playing more than one keybpard at the same time. (happen a lot)
I am also a keyboard player.

1 Like

Sorry to chime in slightly off topic, but I had an arpeggiator related question and I didn’t feel it deserved a new thread. I only got my A4 yesterday so I may be missing something but it seems that you can’t input a chord for the arpeggiator using the A4 mini keys? You can play an arp there but when the sequencer is stopped and you hold a trig and then hold a chord it doesn’t register the note 2 3 4 parts like my octatrack does with my midi keyboard. Is this a glitch or just something that doesn’t function that way?

Sorry for the hijack.

@Nedavine

Indeed, if you need to sequence chords you have to use the no2 no3 and no4 on the Arp Page.

It will be great than when pressing a chord on the mini keyboard the lowest note is set for the trigger and the others (3 max) get’s transformed to no2, no3, and no4 values and locked.

That’s how it works on the OT with the midi keyboard, Lowest note becomes the root and then it updates the note 2 3 and 4 according to your chord. Seems a little strange that you can play an arp chord but not record one.
Hopefully in an update they will add it. I’ll try it with my midi keyboard tonight see if that makes a difference.

+Three
This has been part of the frustration when wanting to truly integrate the A4 into a ‘players hardware synth…keys set-up’…being able to even have the A4 arp sync properly on it’s own for tons of layers doing for instance, ambient type stuff, with both my Polymorph and Q Synthesizer’s Arp AND step sequencer…it really would be nice in new unlocked OS update.
Why exactly does one think this would not be possible on the A4? It’s obvious the A4 only uses a fraction of it’s DSP up to now…right?

Here is a video of my experiment where I’m using Ableton Live to quantise MIDI notes before feeding them to the A4 Arp.

So far so good,

I hope that the guys from Eelektron give the A4 and A Keys a phase start sync for the arpegiator.

if you sell a machine for live performance, you can’t put on them an arpegiator that can’t be in perfect phase star sync when you use it it live.

1 Like

Yes, love this feature and more on my Waldorf Q…chords in sequencer per step and an Arp can even be utilized to trigger only a root note of it while NEVER missing a tick.

1 Like

Your observation and point of view becomes even more interesting in light of the new A4 Keys - surely with the added keyboard we should expect exactly what you describe in terms of a quantised arp.
Maybe the OS update for A4 will include this, everyone is speculating that the two machines are very close under the hood…

@Nadavine,

Not luck using MIDI controller, sorry :frowning:
When you press a chord the last key stays as root.

Hi!

First post here.

Is it possible on the Analog Keys to sync the arpeggio so that it locks on the grid, so to speak?
So that I wouldn’t have to think about playing in time.

Hi, welcome

Always give the search a try, this point gets raised quite often … your input is not quantized until it’s sequenced … for now it’s down to your timing

I may as well say it … your account name is uncannily like the one used by a moderator

@PeterHanes

I’m guessing this could be complicated both ways around (especially for those seeking to tag the moderator), just throwing that out there …

Haha, I had no idea! I just picked the name from a little skit by a swedish comedian. Will try to change!

Ok, I see. Isn’t there a workaround? How are you even supposed to use a non-syncable arpeggiator?
I can’t really the use. Way too risky to be used live.