Apple MacBook Pro

Pretty sure the new macbook pro is coming out in September, no?

Wondering if they’ll do a 13 inch quad core? Now that would be special.

Winners are Dell at the moment with their 14" sized 15" XPS with SSD and up to 32GB Ram. A definite Macbook Pro killer currently.

How the OS mixes with the hardware design is what makes Apple gear great. Since the switch to OSX 10, Apple MacBook Pros are basically a really well-made Linux distribution. As long as Windows is meant to be applied to anything capable of running it, there will always be issues.

“People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware.” - Alan Kay

^ ^ ^ ^ Exactly. Sure, on paper that Dell might ’ kill ’ a macbook pro, but you’re still dealing with shitty audio drivers.

1 Like

there was a nice rant in the latest atp.fm podcast about the currently hilarious Mac lineup:
http://atp.fm/episodes/179

basically it’s ridiculous that they still sell quite old computers for the day-one launch day premium price.

new models should come out soon, but nobody really knows nothing. could be that the intel haswell shenanigans thing forces them keep postponing release… it’s not guaranteed at all that we see new mbpros very soon…

True, but right now Apple is badly lagging behind in terms of hardware specs across their entire hardware line. Pretty much every Mac product they offer is badly in need of an update.

http://pxlnv.com/linklog/idc-spring-2016-pc-sales/ gives a good overview of the current state including links to people who’ve decided to build a Hackintosh for now…

GNNNGGG, well made BSD distribution. You’re making my nerd OCD kick off :smiley:

In terms of video work, CAD/arch stuff, and the like, a laptop has room to expand, but I honestly cannot think of what else a laptop would need for audio use compared to the last few years of models from Apple, Lenovo, Asus etc. I bought a NOS MBP from 2014, I do quite intensive audio programming in Max/MSP and I never break 40% on my CPU use. I think we are starting to hit a limit, not in terms of hardware limitations but hardware necessity.

And also, Hackintosh 100%. With the constraints of laptop case/size issues, it makes sense to buy something very meticulously put together like a MacBook Pro, but if you aren’t building your own desktop u a dummy.

I almost went that route, but there were just too many potential points of failure (kernel panics etc) that I wasn’t comfortable risking my dedicated studio machine. Ended up going for a tricked out 2012 Mac Pro. I guess that makes me a dummy, but I wasn’t willing to switch platforms or deal with potential troubleshooting and fatal errors on my studio computer.

1 Like

TBH I’m kind of annoyed with Apple. I own a 2012 11 inch Macbook Air that is more powerful than their latest 12 inch Macbooks. I’ve been waiting for something exciting with their laptop development, but I actually ended up buying my first Windows laptop in over a decade. The plan is to install Linux, and run Bitwig. I found some crazy deals; I got this 2016 VAIO S for $700, and a brand new boxed copy of bitwig for $100.

http://us.vaio.com/vaio-s/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwt-G8BRDktsvwpPTn1PkBEiQA-MRsBY2iWEa251buZtdCQfESq9bSVUjcGdDEFGipCoaUKiYaAjtn8P8HAQ

“It’s a UNIX system, I know this”

2 Likes

I’m still back on a mid2011 15". Granted I upgraded the ram and ssd so it still hums along nicely. But for the current AV set I’m working on it can’t really keep up with the frame rate. A new retina could probably cut it, but with exchange rates and the lagging broadwell architecture, whacking down close 5 grand AUD is just plain stupid. Too right there are no guarentees tho, we may get a new iPhone and Apple Watch instead. Still, I think Apple are cooking up something special. When it drops it will make the current gen look archaic.

1 Like

So these things are out now and I was wondering about my Overhub, which is a straight up USB type connector, and the fact that the new Macs only sport USB Type-C.

Anyone know what the port type on the Overhub is called? Don’t suppose you would be able to get a cable for it that terminated in Type -C?

Yeah, apple conveniently make a bunch of adaptor cables for you to spend money on when you buy the new laptops.

Will this do the job? Is this the same port as used on the Overhub? @elektronauts ?

Yes, that should work.

EDIT: totally works, see: http://vmashup.com/gjCZcxIe

1 Like

Haha. Cheers :slight_smile:

I find it [ again ] more expensive its always more expensive… at a point where the Mac Pro is nearly the same price (nearly i said it’s not really that but… some day…)

I speak about the 15"

Those Belkin cables (and Apple USB adapters) are way overpriced. You can buy basically the same cable for $6 at Monoprice.

1 Like

Also if you’re going to be using your Mac at your studio desk a lot it’s probably worthwhile buying a USB-C docking station. Then you can plug your devices into it and just have USB-C cable go to your Mac to carry your USB, video, and power.

Though something like overhub and your audio interface you may want to put into separate ports.