Anyone using Renoise?

Right! I was looking all over for some $40 Master Renoise course online- nada

Maybe there just really isn’t that much to doing it to it.

Sequencing
Track automation
Sampling
Slicing
Phrases
Composition
Midi at some point

Other elements are less learning and more exploring- assigning FX to sounds and/or tracks being the first one

What more do you need?

1 Like

The 0-clipping output (if you let Renoise adjust the master) does a lot here.

2 Likes

True. I don’t just think it’s that, but it’s a really good example of some the attention to little details in renoise.

2 Likes

Phrases is one that confuses me almost as much as Parts on the OT.

1 Like

I think I’m going to put the hardware away for a few weeks and really try to explore Renoise some more. I think it’s worth the time and might be inspiring.

1 Like

Agreed. Phrases is a tricky thing to wrap my head around.

The concept I get. Like mini patterns- if you’ve got a 4 to the floor going on, then just use that as a phrase instead of punching in every. single. kick.

Execution however- woo baby. That’s hard to wrap my head around.

I suppose it’s mostly for jungle/dnb. But for melodic instruments it’s an interest way to have dynamic arps.

Like an exchangeable elektron arp

Back when the defunct Arguru used to develop the ancestor of Renoise (Noisetrekker), there was a lot of discussion about sampling interpolation too. Anyway, it’s true that when using Renoise the sound is so good, to the point where I don’t feel like adding much effects to my samples.

2 Likes

Tried various DAW’s, came from an OTB background and stumbled across Renoise years ago. It’s still my go to bit of kit for quickly getting ideas down… and then expanding on them…then mixing them and finally getting a finished track. Love it.

3 Likes

Renoise is the only music creating tool on the computer that I’ve used and had fun at the same time.

I really would love to dive into it a lot more. Plus it’s hella cheap for what it is.

1 Like

Agreed. It’s one of those products where I wish I had to pay for OS updates

1 Like

Ive been an Ableton guy for years. Before that it was cakewalk. Now ive bought a Polyend Tracker i like the workflow and is very easy to create tracks from. What are the disadvantages though? Does it accept all VST’s?

The disadvantages to renoise? Well, the input method isn’t to everyone’s liking. It can be a bit hard to wrap ones head around some basic features, like automation. But, in general the downsides are pretty much on par with all other daws. Vsts work fine

2 Likes

From my personal experience, I ran into a hiccup in my workflow when working with editing tracks consisting of external instruments.

The initial bounce and output was fine. But when I went back to tweak a few things and export individual tracks it was kinda a nightmare.

I don’t know if its possible to record multiple tracks as samples all at once to return to- but thats the only thing that DIDN’T feel intuitive.

On a separate note, I’ve been looking all over the internet for a computer keyboard that has a velocity sensor and I’m wondering how difficult it would be to build a keyboard from scratch

Velocity sensitive keys (coloured black and white to correspond correctly, of course) with a Thinkpad trackpoint in the middle is my ultimate Renoise dream.

1 Like

Renoise is my first DAW, also brought on by Polyend Tracker joy. I’m a huge rookie but I haven’t found any disadvantages. It’s easy to use, every VST I’ve tried works perfectly, and most of all it sounds fantastic. So good in fact I’ve been tempted many times to just say “fuck it” and ditch all hardware besides the live rig. I am impressed with Renoise!

4 Likes