Anyone sequencing their Elektrons from Push 2?

So, I’ve been down this route before. I had a Push 1 back in the day and tried to sequence all my Elektrons from that. It worked, but with some limitations. For instance, after having mapped out all the parameters of the A4, and creating a clip in Push, making some automations to that clip, and then making a new clip, which I wanted to make the A4 go back to the “vanilla” sound of that kit, it would be stuck at whichever point the automations of the last clip had left it, which kind of sucked. I could never sort of have Push “reset” the kit on the A4.

Has anyone tried this successfully with the Push 2? I know it’s probably a futile endeavor to try to sequence the Elektrons from Push (seeing as I’ve been down the route before, and gave up on it, for whatever reason), but there’s something a bit enticing about trying it out again. I just remember that there are these small niggles that will make it a bit less of a joyous ride than it could be.

The big sell for me to use the Push 2 personally are the ability to essentially be able to play very long clips within a certain key and scale, to get longer loops. I get stuck making a bit static loops on the Elektrons. I really get emerged in the sound design using the Elektrons for whatever reason, but to actually flesh out larger ideas for a song always gets difficult. This is one thing I remember from having Push back in the day - I managed to make longer more structured songs a lot easier - so the idea is obviously to be able to combine the two.

Anyone here doing it or having tried to do it? How do you like it? :slight_smile:

(somewhere in the back of my head, something tells me I made this exact thread maybe 5 years ago, haha)

I’m completely oblivious of it- but doesn’t Live 10 with M4L work with sysex messages?

Surely there would be a way to utilize this to reset the kits?

Cheers! Yeah, maybe. I’ll have to investigate that. Ordered a push 2 today. We’ll see how it goes. :slight_smile: thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I have the same issue I guess. Get stuck in loop-ville on hardware. I love arranging and composing in Ableton, but sound design with a mouse is not my idea of fun. My latest setup is based on using hardware for sound design, and maybe record some short loops, but the vast majority of arranging is done inside Ableton. Push 2 certainly helps bridge the gap between DAW+mouse vs hardware. There are various downloadable racks out there for pairing up Push with hardware. I know I used to use one for AR. But yeah, don’t expect perfection or total seamless workflow between Push & Elektron but just use it to kind of blur that line between DAW and hardware.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know how it is. I’ve been having chronic loopingitis for I don’t know how many years. Endless amounts of setups just to try to overcome it, really, but I guess it just boils down to me not being musical enough to really make much useful stuff beyond a four bar loop.

I bought a used Push 2 today (getting it in the mail) - and then remembered, “goddamn, syncing Ableton to anything with Ableton as a master is fucking hell”. Haha. But oh well, we’ll see how it goes. Not really expecting total integration, but if I can somehow make them all stay in sync, and be able to arrange a bit from Push/Live, that’s a good start. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha. A common affliction, I’m sure.

Me too. Well, as long as you keep getting closer, then it’s worth it.

This might help bridge the gap a bit more.

2 Likes

Hey, that’s great! Potentially very useful. Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hooked up my A4 to the computer via USB, and have just been sequencing from Ableton Live over USB MIDI - been working surprisingly well so far. Allows for a lot more dynamic creation of patterns and combinations of patterns across all tracks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry lads, just writing this down in this thread to remember. Maybe someone else will find it useful as well.

To map more than 8 macros to CC values in Live, do this:

• Add the 8 macros device
  • Right click the device and click “group”
  • Rinse, repeat
  • Voila!

Also, another note to self (sorry), if you want to automate a parameter from Push on the A4, make sure you first turn the encoder on Push so that it corresponds to where the parameter currently is at on the A4, as this makes it the default value and where it will jump back to when there is no automation.

To add 8 Macros to every channel of a drum rack, simply drag and drop the 8 macros device onto the highlighted chain in the drum rack, and rinse repeat for every channel.

1 Like

Being awfully harsh here with yourself mate :slight_smile: I’d say you just got to stick to your four bar loop and FINISH a track from it, no matter what. Don’t get distracted and/or discard it when you get stuck, keep going and FINISH THE TRACK! :slight_smile: Even if it is terrible in the end, you push through a few times and that muscle will develop - and before you know it you’ll be making full tracks, top the charts, girls and fans everywhere, basement full of gold, 20kg less, six pack popping…it’s a beautiful thing man… :wink:

2 Likes

yeah man. pretty much agree with this. I struggled with getting stuck in a loop for a long time, the trick is, make a full song haha. seriously. id always start a loop, make a 4-8bar loop and just polish it and play with FX and modulations and mixing, rinse and repeat till you cant even hear what the song sounds like from an outsiders perspective anymore. if you finish the track I guarantee it wont even be awful.

before you sit down and make a loop think about what sort of song you’re gonna make. structure>everything when it comes to songwriting. making music and making songs are two different things though, no harm in jamming loops nobody will ever hear. maybe some will turn into songs, maybe not. if you’re intent on finishing products though the secret is to know what you want to make. good luck with it. off topic anyway, back to the push 2 discussion…

1 Like

Daisuk is just being modest. I’ve heard the music. It is quality stuff already, no doubt.

Daisuk, if you feel the need to flesh it out more, make it longer, etc. then it’s just a matter of tricks like ABABC type arrangements, automation, etc… But honestly, some of my favorite music out there barely changes over the course of 7-8 minute songs. Might not be any clear cut verse/chorus/verse, but plenty of fading in/out of parts, automation, randomization, etc. But that’s the easy part. You’ve already done the difficult bit of coming up with very interesting sound design, textures, melodies, beats, etc. Just keep at it. We’re listening! :grinning:

1 Like

Cheers, guys, and @Bwax especially, always nice to hear someone is listening! :slight_smile: I’ve already churned out a couple of skeletons for arrangements with Push, it really excels at that type of stuff. And surprised at how well the Elektrons are being sequenced. Surely a hurdle is coming up soon. :smile: