Any DSI Evolver love?

Thanks for the input. I’ve got it set up exactly as you suggested, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. If I turn off clock the sequence will run as it should with the clock divider sequence, but as soon as it is set to receive clock it plays everything at the same speed. Turning program tempo off doesn’t have any effect either.

Also, I’m running both the 3.0 OS and 3.5 DSP…but when I checked the manual just now, I see that I am missing the clock settings to clock the unit from the left audio input as well as the incoming note advancement (I only have clock off, out, in, in-out, and in- available). Could there be something funky with the OS here? Hoping this is all just user error.

Hi,

May I ask you a bit more information about the “4-part combo” ?

I’m wondering it it is possible to sequence the 4 osc with 4 different MIDI channels?

(With my octatrack)

cheers

The PolyEvolvers (keyboard and rack) have a four-part multi-timbal mode. Each part can be set to respond to a different MIDI channel.

Each of the four voices of a PolyEvolver, or the single voice of a Mono Evolver (keyboard or desktop), has four oscillators. You can’t sequence those four oscillators separately using different MIDI channels.

However, the Evolver’s internal sequencer can send different pitches to the four oscillators, and the sequencer can be triggered externally using MIDI.

2 Likes

Thanks Peter,

I realised I didn’t get you were speaking of the poly evolvers… I was asking for the mono evolver… Sorry my bad, thanks again!

1 Like

Wait, since when can you load your own waves on the Evolver? That sounds awesome🤓

From the start! The Evolver’s digital oscillators (osc 3 and 4) play single cycle “waveshapes” (waveforms). The factory waveforms are taken from the Sequential Prophet VS, but there are 32 slots into which user waveforms can be loaded. You need to use editor software to do so. Read about the “Shape/PW” parameter for Oscs 3 and 4.

5 Likes

I have had a poly evolver forever and never knew that!:rainbow:The more you know

Poly Evo lova’s … is anybody with rack version able to tell me please whether the headphone jack is supposed to play the delay effect in full stereo? I just bought the rack from ebay, all is great, condition is nearly mint. I can hear oscillators from headphone out in stereo but delay plays only in right channel. Main outs are fine and delay plays from both channels (even though it seems to be mono delay by design). Is the phones output f’d up somehow? Thanks for any insights!

1 Like

This seems a bit odd. I’ve never heard of this issue before. The headphones output should be a copy of the main output, and it seems unlikely that only one element of the sound (delay) would be missing. I don’t generally use the headphone output but I can maybe try. In the meantime …

Does the problem occur on all patches?
Does the problem occur on all four voices?
Are you talking about the regular delay or the tuned feedback lines?
Any cables connected to any of the individual voice outputs?

DSI support is always very good if you feel like checking with them.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I thought as well that it should just copy the main out.
Yes, problem affect all programs and combos and all voices. It’s just the delay (all 3 taps) which behaves weird, tuned feedback goes properly to L/R channels.
I’ve opened the rack and didn’t spot any suspicious traces or burnt elements, all looks pristine. Perhaps DSI support is the best shot, I’ll give it a try. Thanks again!

Here’s full resolution photo of the rack board:

2 Likes

I fired up my PER this evening and … it has the same problem as yours. The delay signal is OK in the main outputs, but only comes out of the right channel in the headphone output. Weird. It seems like it might be a design problem.

I posted on the rarely-visited official DSI forum to ask whether anyone else has the same issue.

4 Likes

Thanks Peter! That’s surprising! I was in touch with Andy from DSI support in the meanwhile and even if he was really friendly and tried to help we didn’t find out what could be the issue. This new information will be of interest for DSI as it really suggest some design issue.
What FW version has your rack Peter? Mine are printed on chips but I guess there’s button combo to find out without opening the rack.

I sent you a private message. I have the latest OS. The button combo on the PER to get the version numbers is ‘Reset’ + ‘Compare’.
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-poly-evolver-rack-os/

DSI Support are usually very helpful and it will be interesting to hear what they tell you.

1 Like

Hello all!
it’s tickling me the idea of buying one…Evolver desktop.

Any advice of what to check if I can do some tests for real?

I have a JP8000 which has a function to let you read numerical values for any controls on the plate, so to check if there are bad encoders/faders that need service.

something related on Evolver too?

thanks in advance

It’s worth checking which version of the OS is installed:
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/updating-evolver-os/

The desktop Evolver has very few buttons and encoders, so it’s worth taking the time to make sure that they all operate correctly.

Remember that some of the Evolver’s programs may ignore MIDI note input; they may respond to the internal sequencer instead.

2 Likes

Evolver Hidden Functions (goodness!)

1. Arpeggiator (page 32 evo manual)

Evolver Hidden Functions (Test Functions)

Reset +

Osc 1 (software version for the dsp processors)

Osc 2 (calibrate low pass filter and analog o/c wave shapes)

Osc 3 (reset all to factory settings)

Another hidden functions are for calibrate the pitch and mod wheel on Keyboard options you can check hidden stuff on page 55 on evolver.

2 Likes

As others have stated, if possible check the encoders to make sure they aren’t jumpy. The OS version can dictate the amount of patch storage. I was on the preorder list and I still own mine. The only issue I’ve had with mine is that I needed to replace the power supply once. Not bad for 16 years of ownership.

2 Likes

Evolver Hidden Functions (goodness!)

1. Arpeggiator (page 32 evo manual)

Evolver Hidden Functions (Test Functions)

Reset +

Osc 1 (software version for the dsp processors)

Osc 2 (calibrate low pass filter and analog o/c wave shapes)

Osc 3 (reset all to factory settings)

Another hidden functions are for calibrate the pitch and mod wheel on Keyboard options you can check hidden stuff on page 55 on evolver manual.

also keep volume levels low when doing the calibration test!

2 Likes

The encoder issue is on the mono evolver keyboard, the desktop edition should usually be fine.

3 Likes

Thanks all for your wiseness!

Much appreciated! d^_^b

1 Like