Antelope Discrete 4 > ID22?

?: bit of a deal possibly on the antelope discrete 4. Anybody got it? Any reason I should exchange my Audient ID22 for it, you think?

Amps/Line + conversion/clocking (and the software i suppose though i have no idea about the plugs) would be my reasons. I use the interface to record my elektrons/dfam etc.

Love to hear from you.

Antelope Discrete 4, win10: display black no sound, flickering when powered off/on, but doesnt load. Anybody with Antelope-experience that could point me in a troubleshooting direction? Also seems like PC doesnt see the interface. Best,

Any updates regarding this? I am seriously looking at an Discrete 8 Synergy Core, will use it on a Mac exclusively though.
Would really use some honest reviews.

I read that the drivers are not stable

Also in terms of brand I am not too sure, in the past they were called Aardvark- the disappeared for a while and than Antelope was born

I would stick with Audient or you want better convertors/drivers I would look metric halo, rme or prism

I have got a Metric Halo Uln2, still firewire but there is still nothing today that sounds better -

2 Likes

I am currently using Discrete4 on windows10. Iā€™ve heard that the driver is unstable before, but now it is stable.

I had to experience a bit of weird customer service, the european side has a bit of a rep, but the US side seems great. There was stability issues, but as of later os and interface updates its now stable on my WIN10 machine. I like it alot, and their effects are very good, its cool to be able to Ā«tapeĀ» a synth through a preamp model, say.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. I bit the bullet today and ordered a Discrete 8, to take advantage of afx2daw and 18 plugins for free.
Plus, things that I am eager to try: mixer for live performance, reamp outputs to use with pedals, 8 ins and outs.

Good luck!

Let us know

Interface arrived 2 days ago and Iā€™ve been busy with it.
So far, itā€™s not without quirks and little annoyances, however Iā€™ll wait and see if they are deal-breakers.
Sound quality is ace and easily surpasses my old Presonus and Echo Audio ones. Would not have expected less at this price point. Latency is around 2 ms in Logic :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:
Was able to activate AFX2DAW and the extra plugins after receiving the promo code that runs until the end of September.

One thing to note: it does not auto-detect the type of connection to the computer, so one has to switch between USB and Thunderbolt manually, by long-pressing the topmost menu button and choosing from there. Got me pulling some hairs this one.

Bringing this old thread back up because Iā€™m curious how youā€™re liking your Discrete 4, @s2, specifically with the use of the afx2daw plugin. Itā€™s a bit of an investment since you have to buy it separately (even though the plugins are includedā€¦) so wondering if you think its worth it and how easy it is to use.

Hi! Well I had the Discrete 8 SC however since this thread was on, I have sold it.
The super-flexible routing was a blessing and a pain, I kept forgetting which input went where in their mixer app and so on. Plus had effects on only 8 lanes in the console (be them inputs, outputs, master etc)
Replaced it with a UAD Apollo X8 and Iā€™m happy with it. Sound quality is not a problem for me (they say it has so and so converters) and Iā€™d bet no one of us from the semi-pro or amateur world can tell a difference honestly.

Their drivers and control panel kept resetting and were a pain to manage even on a Mac which is supposed to kinda work better than a PC.
I have no regrets

1 Like

This one is funny to me, the people that claim that (I know a few YouTubers do) in my opinion really donā€˜t know what theyā€˜re talking about or had last tried an Apollo Silverface and are basing their opinions off of that. Of course the Apollos are inferior to the best mastering grade converters (Burl, Lynx etc), but in the world of audio interfaces they are at least equal to 90% of the market at its price range. Thereā€˜s eg that dude on YouTube that claims RMEā€˜s conversions is ā€œwaaaay betterā€ than UADs, and itā€™s just not true. They sound very similar in fact, with slightly different signatures and itā€™s a matter of personal preference not really levels in quality.

All to say, enjoy your X8, itā€™s a phenomenal device and conversion is absolutely sufficiently professional grade for all but maybe the most demanding mastering jobs.

ā€¦my latest interface is just a zen goā€¦sometimes it conncets right awayā€¦sometimes itā€™s just not in the mood to do soā€¦always wants to call homeā€¦converting and clocking is solid, but gainlevels are a little weakā€¦never needed/used all their uad lookalike plugins, since their software mixerinterface is a pretty dull one tooā€¦no antelope for me no moreā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for weighing in, @s2; and good to hear your experience as well, @reeloy.

Iā€™ve had the Discrete 4 Synergy Core (not the latest version, which is the D4SC Pro) for a week or two now and my experience has been unequivocally positive:

-No issues at all with the driver or getting it to connect to my computer.
-I love the fact that it has both Thunderbolt and USB.
-Preamps sound really good to me. Very clean and crisp.
-Really nice that it has four separate headphone outs and a main monitor output pair, plus an additional four outputs (!!) on the back. This kind of connectivity on a portable interface is unseen in any other product, IMO
-The included DSP / FGPA plugins sound really, really good and its really awesome to be able to connect anything and play through an EQ, compressor, whatever without opening a DAW
-The control panel is very, very fully featured, and despite what a lot of people say, not that confusing.
-Support from Antelope was stellar and they gave me an additional two years on the warranty, even though I purchased it used and itā€™s technically a ā€˜discontinued modelā€™, which was amazing.
-The mic modeling is another really cool feature that I see myself using extensively.
-I love the fact that it has I/O on both SPDIF and ADAT (as opposed to just one or the other like most interfaces in this size). It also has the ability to send Word Clock out to two other sources. Amazing.
-The screen is super crisp and clear and easy to see.
-Despite all of these features, itā€™s still incredibly portable and fairly small. Comparable UA Apollo interfaces donā€™t have nearly the same amount of connectivity till you get up into the full rack size versions, which are much harder to put into a backpack.

Overall, Iā€™m incredibly pleased with this purchase and I see myself using the D4SC for many years to come. I highly recommend them if you are looking at a new interface. The used prices are insane. And no, this is not a paid endorsement of any kind! Just happy to share another viewpoint since these donā€™t seem to get a lot of love. Iā€™m a highly satisfied Antelope customer.

ā€¦thatā€™s good newsā€¦

Antelope has the best value for money offering on the marketā€¦but their support and software are just not up to it. Friend of mine has a Goliath HD as the centerpiece in his studio. When I thought about extending my ins and outs I thought of getting an Orion+ and so asked him for his advice ā€” the guy wrote me within minutes to stay away from Antelope, itā€™s lots of problems out of nowhere and very little actual support that goes into it apparently. He mentioned that driver updates from them for new OS versions sometimes lag 1.5 years+ behind.

All to say, I think youā€™re not the only one who has had such an experience with Antelope. Which is a real shame, because their products do look amazing on paper and when they work reliably, Iā€™m sure they sound fantastic too.

1 Like