Analog Rytm vs. Machinedrum?

I honestly don’t have any reason for why I name my tracks what I do. I guess I’m just a an agent of the universe mothering down on ya.

“HAVE A NICE TIME AT SCHOOL, DEAR!”

1 Like

[quote=“KennyJapan, post:26, topic:7797, full:true”]
Personally I don’t think the extra sampling functionality matters too much if you already have an OT or AR which can cover those ‘sampling’ duties…[/quote]
True for the OT (if you dont wanna use it as a resample proxy for the AR) - but not true for the AR!!

The MD UW can sample, i.e. record audio, the AR cant. The MD UW can also resample itself, which offers even more creative orgasms along the road :smiley: Tweaking drum sounds to hell with up to 16 LFOs for a single sound; resampling that very sound and starting the process - again !!! Also, each and every machine on the MD sounds completely unique! The machines on the AR are always pretty similar to each other. Like @OHEXOH already said: The MD is way more versatile for sound design.

And here’s another benefit the MD UW has: It can sample the AR and transfer recorded samples directly back to it! That way you can record Drums from the AR, spice them up with the endless possibilites on the MD and directly send them back to the AR with nothing more than your standard MIDI cable. Now you have the great sound from the MD built into your original AR Drum Sound and you can move on with the ARs great performance features - without ever touching a computerI!! never understood why Elektron hasnt build SDS File Transfer into the Octatrack (that way you could use the OT for that). But yeah, thats another great advantage the MD UW has. And in my opinion it therefore makes a lot of sense to use the MD UW together with an AR. You can add drum sounds to the Track the AR would never be able to deliver without using samples on its own - and you can sample the AR, layer the MD on top and profit from direct sample transfer back to the AR. So AR + MD UW will be the best of both world and makes what i would call a perfect Drummachine :wink:

7 Likes

I honestly didn’t know you can transfer samples from the MD to the AR. What!!! I’ve been missing out!

Nice, but I’ll use my modular system for that.

Is there a tutorial for this? I’d love to give it a try but can’t wrap my head around the setup.

Thanks!

1 Like

Here is the thread were you should find your info :

3 Likes

UGHH! I wish I had known this was possible before I bought a non-uw!

@LyingDalai posted the right answer already :slight_smile: Its also in the manual, Page 70 to 71.

and so on … :wink:

Thanks LyingDalai and Subbz2k - gonna give this a go today, perfect little project for a Sunday!

So…guys… is worth buying the sps-1 or let it go and go on.

What’s the price?

450€

3 Likes

That’s a good price!

1 Like

is it a UW version? mint condition? if so, you literally hit the jackpot my friend :slight_smile: i would buy immediately !!!

As I mentioned before, it’s WITHOUT the sampling option.

I do own both machines and when I make music with them I Use AR as the source for those bass heavy analog sounds and MD for the more crispy FM sounds.

They compliment each other very well👍🏻

2 Likes

is that a mk1 or 2 ?

I dont know your music making experience, but i know you just bought the Ar. My experience is that i only scratch the surface when i use more machines. Look at what you can do with samples, how to make beats, leads, etc…

So… dont underestimate the deepness your just bought AR

And… dont give yourself too many possibilities while using too many machines…

And… this is only my experience and my idea

4 Likes

I’ve had the MDUW on preorder ever since the “death announcement” and am very happy with it, however looking at the new synthesis options of the RYTM makes me definitely consider trading it. The only thing holding me back are the amazing (and extremely old) youtube videos showing off what the machinedrum is capable of, but it just seems like the machine is too intricate for its own good, at least for me.

De @wouzer speaks the truth : I think you should wait touching AR limits before you get another piece of gear…

1 Like