Analog Rytm to send clock to Korg SQ-1

nice. basically i have a prophet 6 at present and Rytm will hopefully arrive in 2 days. i am downsizing the rest of my setup as i am moving county to Australia in 2 months. So my boomstar and SEM are going :frowning: . love using the p6 with the korg, but it only works with something triggering it via CV (previously my tanzbar). i will prob be a few months without my prophet, motu and speakers, so gonna have a RTYM and laptop as my setup. but perhaps i can squeeze in a Korg Volca into my travel bag. only issue then will be recording the korg FM without a soundcard! ah whys life so hard, lol .

You can always run the Volca into the RYTM and record to the laptop via overbridge. It won’t be quite loud enough to play along with the Rytm at the same time, but you could record on its own! No soundcard needed! The Rytm alone will certainly keep you busy while you wait for your other stuff!

ah didnt realise it had an audio input :smiley: . that’s sweet - how does this work in overbridge, could i not just add a compressor or something in ableton to boost the signal level? thanks for your help by the way. this actually could be a good solution for me.

I am running a Minilogue through my A4 via Overbridge and use a couple of the Ableton utilities to boost gain and “convert” the mono to a stereo signal… Does the job for me so far, so you should be able to achieve the same with Rytm/Volca combo.

RYTM external audio doesn’t go to overbridge

So to reiterate someone’s earlier point about using din sync, the RYTM can operate in din sync mode and you should be able to wire the clock + ground onto a 3.5mm cable for sync into your sq-1. This would save a voice (or two) sending impulses. I imagine if you searched around you could find someone selling a pre-made cable.

Someone helpfully made a diagram here:

Although the advantage of using an impulse is that you can create your own rhythm with the rytm sequencer.

p.s. where in australia are you moving to? (I’m in Perth)

2 Likes

will be moving to Melbourne from the UK, cant wait! obviously music setups has somehow naturally taken priority in my move :joy: - who needs clothes or furniture in this day and age.

is it possible to buy one of these cables? life would be easier this way.

1 Like

Nice. Melbourne has a bit of a UK vibe to it, in Australian terms anyway.

expert sleepers have a cable. Looks like they also have one for midi to 3.5mm which apparently works for teh sq-1.
http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/accessories.html

Also looks like there are a few on ebay if you search for din sync 3.5mm or midi sq-1

1 Like

The SQ-1 is MIDI Out only, plus it already comes with a female MIDI DIN breakout adaptor

Shame…that sounded like a good option. I thought you could use the Rytms din connection to the korg sq-1 sync in using one of those cables?

My apologies, I’m not that familiar with the sq-1. checking the specs, the the din sync to 3.5mm should still work to the sync in.

oops, my bad - you’re discussing din sync - different story altogether, I wonder how usable the din sync pulse shape is at triggering the korg

I made a breakout din sync cable - I can maybe try it out (if I can find an 1/8" adaptor) to see if the din sync pulse will drive the korg nicely

1 Like

Would be interested in hearing how well it goes :slight_smile: It might require a clock division, because i think din sync clock out is 6x or 8x the quarter note that a modular clock uses. hopefully the sq-1 has that function on board. Frequently on those kinds of devices the bpm/speed becomes a multi/division when clocked externally.

yep, would need a clock divider too

24ppqn = 1.5 x 16 ppqn
48ppqn = 3 x 16 ppqn

The Korg has a clock multiplier of 2x i.e. it interpolates intervening steps - I cannot see how to disable this (if even possible) (there is certainly meant to be some manner of varying the seq rate, but in my experimenting it wasn’t behaving as expected, it definitely did not account for a factor of 3 or similar though, it was a halve/double arrangement)

so if you feed it the slowest DIN pulse signal it’ll effectively double that to begin with, so it’ll likely be unusable without a clock divider

I don’t suppose there are any settings on the RYTM for dividing the sync output?

No, just 24 or 48

Having a divider on the AR is a long standing hacky feature request

I just tried the arrangement, it serves a pulse which the SQ1 seems to react to steadily, it is incredibly fast though, even when set at DIN24 and 30bpm

There is no practical use without a divider imho

The only thing that might bring it back would be if I had inadvertently left the sq1 in a double-speed mode (so there’s scope to go via 1x to 1/2x) but it’d still be fast and out by 3or1.5

The position of the Main Dial sets the variation in rate when the setup mode is activated at boot, I need to dig out the manual to check

That is a shame. Thanks for checking it out, though!

1 Like

So if the rytm was set to 120 bpm and sending clock via din to midi jack…and thenkorg sq1 was set to double speed, surely it would do 120? Maybe worth checking and thanks for testing. Searched long and hard for this sort of info. Someone needs to make a midi hack for the sq1 like what ppl have done for the volcas.

The Elektrons have a resolution of 96ppqn (384 per bar) but can only play 16 per bar (on average)

That resolution is 24 times that which would be meaningful to the Korg if mapped 1:1

The slowest din sync divides that by four, so it’s 6 times too fast to be mapped 1:1 (trig per sq1 step)

Factor in that the Korg is interpolating an extra step of resolution (per sync pulse in) and you can see that the DIN SYNC to SQ1 is 12 times faster than you’d ideally want

So irrespective of what BPM you have it at it’s inconveniently fast and most certainly needs dividing

The Korg can be set to three speed rates but these only operate on the internally generated clock, not on externally provided clock pulses … external pulses always come in and get multiplied by 2 from what I can gather

EDIT :
Not sure where i read this before, but i sorta knew that there was a possibility that the pulse rate could be adjusted, didn’t read it in the manual, it’s not in there, plus there’s at least one other bad typo

anyway the dial has 8 positions, the first three determine the rate of the sequencer 1/2 speed / normal / double
the next three do the same, but they react to on a 1:1 basis, so no interpolation extra steps, so it runs half as fast when slaved (but still too fast on DIN SYNC)

you just sold the best analog drum machine on the market. aside from that - send clock from daw - chain that signal from the machine you clock… the kenton or preferably the midi solutions box (as its usb powered not wall) is good to split the midi info if you need more than just chaining. still trying to figure out why you sold the tanzbar but there you go, we’re all different