Analog Rytm MK1 or MK2?

I think the quick performance mode on the new Rytm would be quite nice. I was often frustrated by the pressurised pads for performance, but being able to quickly control filter sweep on the box on all 12 tracks would be mint. If anything sampling would be a great way to create more voices, so to speak, or as a way to spread sounds from one voice to another where they wouldn’t ordinarily work (ie BD on CB). Isn’t there also the new Bassline machine? Did that get released yet?

If it’s only about money, get the MKI, but if I was buying the Rytm again I’d defintely get the MKII as I think all the features definitely add up. And who knows what comes to OB / Transfer for MKII vs MKI in future. Plus, technically, the RYTM MKI is discontinued.

New bass machine is going to be part of the OS update for both MKs.

2 Likes

we MK1-ers are getting ALL updates the Mk2 are so this shouldnt be part of the argument for the mk2

Apart from the likely to come sampling updates. I own a mk1 and enjoy it very much. But as soon as the nk2 will get more features regarding sampling eg slicing,… I may switch to mk2. Nevertheless mk1 is the cooler machine :slight_smile:

It will be interesting to see what additional benefits Overbridge will bring. Elektron advertise increased USB bandwidth for the MK2s. Depending what this means in reality, this could well influence the recommendation.

if you have osx you can use this LopoChainer - easy sample chains for OS X

Aside from sampling the perf knob on the mk2 is also very cool. That said im still 100% happy with my mk1. For value id say mk1, for longevity + better workflow id say mk2

2 Likes

To be honest, even though I have an MK2 now, I haven’t been able to let go of my MK1 :frowning:

3 Likes

Haha.

1 Like

for the same price of AR mk2 you can get AR mk1 + OT mk1

11 Likes

Mk1 is safer.

1 Like

source?

It was announced back in nov when mkii to was announced that both units would get the same updates. Like before under the hood they are essentially the same.

2 Likes

They said that they’d be updated in parallel- I’m not sure if there’s going to be a break off time, though

The MK1 pads are absolutely terrible to the point of being 100% useless, IMO.

So unless you never plan on finger drumming, avoid.

My AR2 ships out to me today. I also noticed yesterday that Thavius Beck has a new set of tutorials for the AR2 on macprovideo.com. I’ll def be getting that, as his Analog Four tutorial was incredibly helpful IMO.

True they are definitely not that great for straight up finger drumming but for scenes, mutes, and performance mode they work great. If I were going to use it for finger drumming I would probably pair it with something like an Akai MPD 32/24 so you have large high quality pads for drumming and still have the built in pads for the other functions. Just a thought.

2 Likes

So I was finally able to test out the MKII pads to see what had changed.

The overall response is certainly better. Light taps trigged the synth no problem.

But, and unless I’m missing something, there is absolutely no variation in velocity response: the lightest tap produced the same velocity a heavier hit did.

I checked under sound settings that Vel to Vol was on, turned down amp and track vol and opened the vel mod window. Even the little read out showing the vel response was gone from the mod menu (I did not check if my live recordings had recorded vel, though should have).

Can anyone with an MKII confirm differences in vel response via the pads?

(I also tested taps on an MPC Live: worlds apart in response. The ARs were obviously not made with finger drummers in mind.)

EDIT: seems there is a FIX button I was not aware of. Proooobably the source of confusion. Carry on.

So how sensitive do you find them now you have velocity working?

Well if the idea is they respond to ANY pressure, then maybe I would say a bit better than my MKI. I really would need to test it again tho.

The pads of the mk1 are small and rigid this is true, but I can finger drum without problems with the sacred technique of double finger you can apply enough strength to not miss the hit. For velocity it is a little more difficult but not impossible, and it is true what they say, with time and pressure the pads soften a bit. For one who has broken his fingers on djembe and darbuka for years it is not a problem at all.

7 Likes