Analog Rytm finally a worthy replacement for TR-808/909

drum machines all have their own flavours. Like any other type of synth, one won’t necessarily replace another, otherwise you’re limiting your sonic palette to just one synth/manufacturer.

I’m pretty sure artists just grab something that intrigues them…or that will help them getting the sound they are after.

I didn’t buy a single piece of gear because another artist uses it. :slight_smile:

just try and take my moon minitaur away! heheh

Well then better find something else if you want to stand out. Or is it very important for you to use the same gear as your idols? Why do you even care, you know it’s the other way round… because you do. :wink:

Seriously, I don’t think original artists care as much about gear as a lot of us do here.[/quote]
I read d2ba’s post as if maybe d2ba has something to do with the label… I know it is a pretty famous label and all but it is surely possible.

Yeah I think they’re writing history, definitely. I think it’ll pop up in productions all over the world… And also on stages all over the world, since the performing nature of it is top of the line.

I don’t know the true reason for the 909’s significance… Perhaps it’s the fine ballance of rich timbres that is both unmistakably recognisable but at the same time generic. An impossible combination? I’ve heard some other drum machines, but most of them seem placed in one corner. I think the Rytm is both rich, special and generic enough to become a solid player for years. That, and highly tweakable. I’m probably biased :wink:

1 Like

That’s a very bold statement.

Didn’t aira tr 8 already do this for 400 quid? At least in sound, on tracks, nobody can realy tell.

LOL!

The 909 is the Helvetica of electronic percussion. :wink:

Dang! Cuckoo, my LOL! is now meaningless :sob:

606, 707, 808, 909 …trying to sound original or reproducing the sounds via D16 Group plug-ins and countless sample packs, plugin presets makes it stale in the end.

Tempest…gave users an opportunity to reproduce the sounds and more but the TR-8 puts all third-party attempts in another category…I’m not a TR-8 fan because tbe sound is everywhere Iook…D16, Maschine, Push…enough available to us.

AR offers a fresh look at the Drum Machine…I’m finally digging the “rights of passage” pride that comes with machines complex enough to compete with the endless options we have…if anything, Elektron made hardware fun…as a previous owner/user of the original TR series, MPC series, SPS-1 UW+, Tempest, even ditching Maschine Studio (hardware-too big-too many workflow issues)…I’m excited about AR…

TR-8, sitting on store display shelves but not as desired…past all that.

I seriously doubt that, most artists on most labels will stick to their DAW of choice.

He’s stating things plainly.

I don’t see how the AR can be called generic, it’s a drum synthesizer with sample import abilities and what I think will be endless possibilities of different sounds you can tweak. From the examples I’ve heard this thing is a beast in the waiting. I actually sold my Tempest to buy the AR, the sample import alone was one of the main reasons, but everything else about it is what I wanted the Tempest to be. (And I really loved my Tempest.)

+100

All I know of the Tempest is from what I’ve heard on YouTube. In my ears I think it’s placed in one corner. No matter what Dave did with it, it was still sitting in that same corner. It’s got one “sound”. (It sounds good though, don’t get me wrong.) When I say generic I mean it the same way as a real snare drum is generic. You can make a real snare drum sound in so many ways depending on how you set it all up. I think the Rytm is like that. The Analog part has its own clear identity, but still generic enough to be molded into most types of music, unlike most other drum machines. And then, you’ve got the samples for reaching even further.
And I agree totally. It’s a beast in the waiting. And it’s a performance instrument! After playing with Dataline in Frankfurt I now (finally) know what it’s like playing with a real drum machine master. Watching him play made me wanna be super fluent with both the Keys and the Rytm… It’s so god damn dynamic!
Oh no… off topic again… Back in into the cage cuckoo!!

1 Like

DELETE Please

So assuming the AR reverb etc is the same as the A4’s, is the A4’s reverb the same as the OT?

No, unfortunately.

Well, I love the sound of the new Roland TR-8 so I’ll be making comparisons with the AR as soon as I can. I’ve programmed both the 808 and 909 and the TR-8 is a worthy successor when it comes to how it sounds, the added features (like onboard FX and external side-chaining) and how much easier it is to use. Based on how much I like making drums on the A4 I have high hopes for the AR.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Behringer RD808