Analog Keys instead of Moog Sub37?

Did you consider this new analog poly synth-

https://futureson.us

Poly like the a4 but with less menu diving and more knob turning… Just lacks a sequencer

Good find!
A 3 OSC Mono synth for $499!

Good find!
A 3 OSC Mono synth for $499! [/quote]
8 voices for 1499…that is ridiculous. i already preordered my prophet 6 though. :sob:

Um actually it’s only $999 for 8 voices… $1499 is for the special edition custom color of your choice.

Still struggling to get my Moog to work in my mixes. I’d say it was off topic, if it wasn’t for the fact that this was what started the topic.

See, I’m working on something that has a lot of bands and highs in it, broken distortion, compressors working on overtime and stuff. It’s all meant to sound like it was made in the 1930’s, only with synths instead of what was available then. So it’s not just vinyl scratch and dirt effects sampled and layered. It’s a bit more than that.

And that damn Moog, bless its analogue soul and wooden panels, can’t help itself but sound great all the time, even when it’s not supposed to.

So I bring out my Tempest, and you just need to look at that thing to make it sound all wrong and broken and click hizz sparkle.

This Moog is like having a girlfriend that’s out of your league, but she loves you anyway, she doesn’t care about those things, but you know deep down that eventually, this isn’t gonna work because you’re quite happy down in the dirt and you’re not sure she will be, in the long run.

You pay VAT for imported products purchased directly from the manufacturer in the States? Man, that stinks.
He’s offering free shipping to the EU too.

Back to an earlier claim that there is less menu diving than the A4. That’s a tough one to make.
Yes it has dedicated knobs, so you can turn a filter cutoff and an envelope release at the same time. But one still has to choose the envelope, choose the LFO, the oscillator, the lfo, etc…

In the end, I don’t think the 13 dedicated pots on the Parva give much more immediacy than the 10 encoders on the A4 give, when you’ve got to select what they do first with either another selection pot on the Parva, or a single (sometimes double successive) button push on the A4.
“Menu diving” isn’t what comes to mind when I program sounds on the A4.
A DSI Tetra, on the other hand…

Clearly we should use the existing thread on the Parva here - Futuresonus Parva

even if you put your sub37 in a box and didn’t play it for 10 years, you could probably pull it out at that time and sell it for a lot more than you paid for it

as much as I like elektron, the AK is not in the same league as the sub37

the sub37 is a giant among monosynths with nearly a knob-per-function layout

the AK is a polysynth among polysynths that would try to give it a run for its money

don’t get me wrong, I am not bashing elektron, they are just different beasties

I simply wouldn’t want to get rid of my A4 period (I love it).

However, if someone said, OK, pick one monosynth and pick one polysynth…I would likely end up with a sub37 and a pro6 (within a certain budget of course)…if sky was the limit, my selection may change :slight_smile:

A4/AK will happily muck it up in a dumpster out back if that’s what you desire.

Wouldn’t you miss the voice allocation thingy on the A4, if you had the Prophet6 instead? As I understand it, the Prophet6 has voices but all of them locked to one patch at a time.
I was hoping Dave Smith would go all Tempest on the P6 and make it like you can use all six voices however you like, all for one or one for all or whatnot.
But apparently, Dave didn’t think this was a good idea.

I had exactly the same experience. Had an A4. Love the sound and possibilities. And the fx. But I did not seem to use it very much. Sold it and bought the Sub37. I am so happy with it. Sounds awesome, rather complex and so immediate. Don’t miss the A4. The AK, though, could be another thing…

Same story as credo. The Sub 37 is the thing for me, but I´m doing a lot of live playing in bands and not so much programing and p-locks. So it seemed natural to sell A4 and get the sub 37.
I had MD, A4 and just didn´t gel with them or got them into my work flow/the music I make. Pretty sure the Rytm has to go too (it´s just sitting in its box and looking out) but will stick with the OT, cause it can deliver in the many different set-ups I have/use.

Sub 37 is simple and complicated in the same way and keeps to surprise me and push me to get some new sounds. I think you can get the same but different with A4 but it just didn´t speak to me as the sub37.

Wouldn’t you miss the voice allocation thingy on the A4, if you had the Prophet6 instead? As I understand it, the Prophet6 has voices but all of them locked to one patch at a time.
I was hoping Dave Smith would go all Tempest on the P6 and make it like you can use all six voices however you like, all for one or one for all or whatnot.
But apparently, Dave didn’t think this was a good idea.[/quote]
I would definitely miss that. I actually don’t have my hands on the Pro6, I’m basing that off GAS. :slight_smile: However, like I said, I simply would not want to give my A4 up, I also use the CV track on the A4 and I am one of the people that likes elektron sequencers (have Rytm and OT too). I just don’t really consider the A4 a pure monosynth even though it was a 4 track monosynth prior to the firmware update. I guess the fact that I’m into modular also makes me like the sub37 more too (the whole knob-per-function and modulation thing)

So this has now developed into me talking the local dealer into borrowing me an Analog Keys for a few days. After camping in the store, making tracks on their demo machine for hours, I figured I just need to try this with my gear at home.

Although to be honest, I think I’ve made up my mind. The Sub37 goes, the Analog Keys stays. For all the amazing qualities of the Sub37, the Keys is more inspirational as an instrument for building songs and tracks.

But I’m gonna miss the Moog sound, so I’ll get a Minitaur instead.

Oh, it’s gonna hurt to wrap the Sub37 into its box again. But it has to be done, for the sake of the good fight.

It’s the young and the beatiful that die first.

Nearly a month ago!
Thanks for validating my clairvoyance.
Now I’m off to pick next month’s lotto numbers!

Nearly a month ago!
Thanks for validating my clairvoyance.
Now I’m off to pick next month’s lotto numbers![/quote]
I wish you the best of luck, since I’m returning the Analog Keys after an intense session with it in my rig. So it’s not a keeper.
It’s a great instrument, but it’s not the synth I’m looking for.
Move along.
Although I might get that Minitaur anyway. Minitaur for bass, Sub37 for everything. Two Moog voices, one of them dedicated for low end duties.
It’ll look great on the desk, too.

It can be very overwhelming but also good fun, to experiment, switch and trade stuff to find something that can work for you. I feel I’m almost there. The rest of my rig is safe, it’s the one keyboard instrument that I want to make the most of.

But having had the opportunity to now thoroguhly test an Analog Keys at home, and admiring it for all it offers as an instrument for structure, composition and flexibility, I still feel it doesn’t add enough to that final piece that counts the most - the way it sounds. And the Moog does.

And after that, you’ll just make the functions work for you instead of blocking you.

Have you used it much? It sounds so freakin good and the sonic potential is huge. Not just the analog machines, but playing samples through the rest of the analog signal path… damn it can just sound so rich and yummy…

@dragon.
It´s gone.
I sold it to a guy who had sold his some months ago and just needed it back. That made me feel really good and who knows if it might come back to me too some day.
For now I´m just using the OT and that suits me need for now and where I am.
I think you can do some amazing things and sounds with the AR but I just didn´t click with it and all that OB talk didn´t help at all. But thats a different story.

I think there´s some cons too; the pads IMO really suck, the direct jump is not working and for me a biggy, not possible to disable the metronome from the main out.

But that´s just me preffs, some may have others.

oddly, I don’t feel like I have overlap and I have both a minitaur and a sub37

For me, choosing a keyboard-based synth is the hardest part. That’s why I don’t have one except for the OP-1. I really did love the overall feel and sound of the Nord Lead 2X, though.[/quote]
You want it to be the heart of the rig and sound awesome, with patches and multitimbrality to boost.
But only the workstation options can do that, and they don’t sound all that nice.
The Analog Keys is fairly unique in that aspect, although the JD-XA might give it some competition now.