ANALOG HEAT vs SHERMAN FILTERBANK V2

Reagrding to what I have ear, It’s seems like Elektron has been mostly inspired by this device , which is on the market since many years . the distortions of the Analog Heat gives a very close sound to what the Sherman can produce.
Until this time , It was the only one device wich could create such deep distortions but now the NAalog Heat is there , so what to think ? Using both would be too much ? does the serman is still deeper even if it has no midi control ?

I look forward to the comparison videos/recordings but would like to note that the Sherman does in fact have midi. :wink:

1 Like

yes it have , but the implementation is very limited compared to the Analog heat.

Sherman is proper Analog, is MONO, has more connectivity and more knobs, has no screen and looks better.

The Sherman Filter Bank (I used to own one) does not really do subtle!

2 Likes

The main comparison surely is niio iotine core… pretty much the only real comparison that’s available today for where heat is aiming that I can see. tho there are lots of differences in features and heat seems more an all in one jack of many trades solution than the iotene whilst costing a lot less… iotene very much jus does what it says on the tin tho. Which is still appealing.

2 Likes

I think the restyler is much more close to the heat.

Here are the features I noticed as a restyler user

1. You can input gain to distortion.
  2. You can run use the overdrive knob for a low volume sound and get it to sound agressive up to total noisy distortion.
  3. You can use both the input gain and overdrive knob at the same time to blend distortion. If you use both knobs in a subtle way this can be clean boosted and adds an extra punch.
  4. Three transient design knobs. One extreme is to isolate towards sine wave forms coming in and the other extreme is to isolate sounds that resemble a square wave. You can use the transient wave shaped to isolate parts of the incoming record. So if you have a drum break coming in you can select your focus based on this knob. There is also a sensitivity knob for the transients. You get a trigger speed for the transient shaper too so it can isolate transients, regroove the beat, and you can add punch/ dynamics to what’s coming in with these three knows.
  5. Master filter and slave filter. Both can be used at the same time to make a two band eq like effect.
  6. FM knob…I really don’t use this as much but paired with the resonator you can make the sample do the Sherman Scream.
  7. Control of filter slope 24db or 12db
  8. RCA in and rca out as additional sound sources.
2 Likes

i just sold my sherman filterbank and nerver had a restyler but I think the restyler is much more " clean" than the first one right ?

What does this mean? Isn’t the AH “proper” analog?

Never seen this one before. Watched couple of videos. Very cool. Very expensive tho :frowning:

just theked on the web :
the NIIO analog IOTINE CORE is AWESOME sounding !!!
did not know him before !
very expensive also .

The reason the A4/R/H can be basically analog AND do instantaneous p-locks is that they have more clever circuit control goodies with digital DNA directing the components, even though the signal path is indeed all analog, it’s not as ‘old-school’ as just a bunch of discreet components I guess which qualifies it for the ‘proper’ label, but that’s just semantics imho … it doesn’t necessarily mean that you get a better device by going discreet, or steer clear of surface mount chips etc but I guess it’s indeed more likely to have that whole analog thing goin’ down

Ah, I see. My favorite monosynth right now has DCOs. I still consider it proper analog.

2 Likes

Yup. Great for long Sunday digging sessions. I actually have my turntable hooked up to a Vincent Phono 700 tube preamp that feeds into the Restyler. I just drop the needle on those good five seconds and record each take in Sound Forge. Relabel each take into a folder. Once I am done gathering my loops I designed in the restyler I drop the loops into live 9.7 and have push 2 slice away. So if you have a good 5 seconds of a sample on vinyl and you know all your sweet spots (frequency) for the type of sound then you’ve multiplied your loop library at least 6 fold.

I like that it’s a “clean” filter machine because if you shape the transient designer right and just add a little wetness into the setting you can feed an MPC200XL into the restyler and make it sound more like an MPC 3000. I have both machines and know what I’m looking for when it comes to sound. My 2000xl is a little quicker. So if you have an mpc 1000 /2500 you can make it more punchy or fix your highs that get too harsh. Again this concent can be carried over to any of these analog filter boxes. The trick is set the wetness to a very low level and you can fine tune the sound.

2 Likes
3 Likes

That is hot. Now added to my ebay watch list.

Main differences off the top of my head:

Filterbank:
Envelope follower + ADSR and AR
Two separate filters (both sweepable between LP/HP/BP/notch/etc, can run in harmonic intervals, can run in series or in parallell, can do formant stuff)
Analog inputs for FM, AM, trigger AR/ADSR
Analog output for ADSR
No menus
Completely chaotic

AH:
Envelope follower + AR or AD
Stereo
Eight different analog circuits for distortion
Two assignable CV inputs
Memory function
Overbridge
Subtle if you want

3 Likes

The iotene is the curent king of modern techno filter/sat wise that I know of, if you want a stand alone box, it’s reasonably unknown yet high profile acts run it live. The Sherman is way too unpredictable and hard/dangerous to take live I guess, wasn’t my cup of tea for that reason and I kept clipping my monitors. :slight_smile:

I could barely give the niio away when I was selling it here about a year ago. :confused: it went too eBay where a pretty high profile head snaffled it.

I’m hoping to fill the void with heat one day :sunny:

2 Likes

Also never heard of this iotene thing but it looks and sounds fucking insane… just like the price on it

Bro if I only knew what this was when I was trolling the for sale section for a restyler. It’s another new contender.