Analog Heat output levels low

I received my Heat today and as in another posting (with no clear solution), the level is coming out 10dB lower than it is going in… I am patching it in with balanced cables through a patchbay. Input sensitivity adjusted to optimal levels as per the manual… Have compared it to my other outboard equipment and the AH is the only one with this significant level loss. Have bypassed the patchbay with no successful result… I have “woken” up the to 100% (level at full 127) drive, wet/dry, level knobs with no success in getting the input level to reach the levels of signal that i am putting into it. I have tried in AUX insert and in direct channel insert… Using as insert in ProTools, MOTU 16A interface. I will check the firmware tomorrow, but don;t see how that would make any difference. Hope someone can help… I have not set up Overbridge yet, though would that make a difference? Thank you.

1 Like

Great post, I think I have the same ‘issue’, balanced and direct into the RME HDSP. The input always needs be boosted. Hope someone knows a solution for this…

I have RME Multiface Hammerfal, not plugged.
Same as you? I hope it will be ok with AH.

Try switching between different factory presets and see if this improves the situation. If not, then you probably have a hardware problem and you should report back to Elektron.

There is preset Level you can increase too.

I had gone through some presets with no success. I may have tried about 7 random presets, and still went in and maxed out the levels to no avail. I suppose I’ll be repacking and returning… I will be very worried if the replacement issue has the same issue.

I tried something to check input / output level
without external hardware.

Play something in Left input. Set input sensitivity.
Plug a cable between Left output and Right input.
100% dry, preset Vol = 127.

Check Right input sensitivity and increase Master knob to reach same level.
I works for me, I can reach enough output level.

(This can be used creatively to reinject AH without feedback, 2 serial mono overdrive + filter)

4 Likes

umm where yall level knob at? IIRC the master level knob also affects line outs, not only the headphone out…

And might be easiest to first confirm unity at bypass?

1 Like

Level knob at max… I will double check unity bypass when I get back into studio… but I think it was also coming back in at a lower signal…

will try when i get back into studio tomorrow. thanks!

Go to elektron.se, fail the Support Ticket and describe your problem, they will advise you further.

1 Like

yeah, problem persists… 10db signal loss running through AH even in when the active button is off or bypassed. when i disconnect heat from patch bay, the signal returns to full strength, so it’s not external patching problem. there’s something inside the AH that is reducing the signal… will take a support ticket and arrange an exchange …

3 Likes

@ledemon I’ve had this same issue since I got the AH 6 months back. When I play bass guitar or anything into the AH the sound loses about 10 db.

Hey Alex. have you tried overbridge and running the sound through it via USB? I found the levels run more at unity levels than as an analog insert for some reason… but as a pure analog insert the level remains that 10dB lower. Elektron said they have the analog signal attenuated to prevent an over level… install the latest firmware, connect the usb, and run signal through a track with the overbridge plugin.

I route my Analog Rytm BD-BT out in mono trough an AH and i also have to really boost the gain of the outputs on my QU-16 mixer. Not sure if this is related but think so…

Turn the preset volume up. Not the master volume.

A 10 dB insertion loss? Are you absolutely sure about this? That’s quite a big deal IMO. And elektron claiming this is because ”users dont know what they are doing and would redline”? - no. ffs. no.

elektron, please, stop doing this. First the octatrack LEDs redlining before the AD clips, forcing reduced levels when resampling, and now this? I am getting annoyed tbh. We should have a say in these matters, not every user is an idiot who ruins everything by clipping every input they have in their signalpath.

Professional gear does not have a 10dB insertion loss. end of discussion.

I made that test again, full Master, with bypass it seems to have a little loss.
With 100% DRY, 127 for preset Vol, with active it can be higher than input.

I have 2 Analog Heats, one for my main out of Analog Rytm and now i bought a new one for my BD and BT output.

The weird thing is that it makes my percussion of my main output really powerfull but it’s a bit disappointing so far on my BD/BT. Thinking about switching this 1 to a Sherman filterbank.

Not a pro here, but at least to me the answer seems simple: in the initial setup you can callibrate the general amplification. I’m missing the term here. It’s suggested to not let the horizontal level bar of this setup screen pump beyond the 100% line. In your case you should however go for that, I guess
This section should be one of the first in the manual.

2 Likes