Analog Heat OB W/ External Instrument Ableton

I’ve discovered that it is not possible to send my external synth’s audio into Ableton then to Overbridge. It appears that Overbridge with the Analog Heat only works with software instruments. Even Ollie in support wasn’t able to figure this out. This is a real disappointment. Seems absurd that I can’t use Overbridge with an external instrument, at least not in Ableton. Please, someone, tell me there is a way!

How does it not work?

No need to use the “external instrument” device. Just use the overbridge plugin.
It works that way.

So I set up an external instrument track in order to control the synth via midi from Ableton. The audio from the synth is now entering Ableton through that midi track. It is not possible to also put the OB plugin on that same midi track as you can only use one midi instrument per midi track in Ableton. OB plugin is on another midi track. There is no way, in Ableton, to route audio from a midi track to another midi track, therefore I cannot get the synth’s audio to go through OB. Does that make sense?

I use the external instrument device to control the synth via midi. I have even tried adding an audio track to receive the audio input from the synth and then route it through OB but I cannot because the OB plugin is also on a midi track and I cannot route audio through a midi track.

The Heat OB VST is an audio effect. Put it on the end of the external instrument track (which also receives audio - not midi).

Or route the incoming audio from your synth to an audio track holding only the Heat VST plug.

3 Likes

As for your first suggestion, I’ll take a look when I get back home but I’m not exactly sure that will work as I’ve tried many configurations already. As far as routing the incoming audio from the synth to an audio track holding the Heat VST, in Ableton you cannot put a VST in an audio track. At least that’s been my experience, and what I’ve spoken with others about. I’m gonna give these another shot when I’m in the studio later. In the mean time, thank you for your suggestions

Carl, I did what you said. It worked. Ridiculous that I have not been able to figure this out before but the problem was I thought of the OB VST as a soft synth type plugin and was putting it on a midi track because that is how it works with software instruments, on the midi track with the instrument. All this time I was thinking I had to route a midi track to a midi track which obviously would never work! Thanks a bunch man.

2 Likes

What a curiosity!

3 Likes

What’s in your cabinet.

1 Like

:heart_eyes::wink:

It is a VST. But not an instrument. It’s an audio effect. And as such… :star_struck:

Glad you solved it!

2 Likes