Analog Heat and master buss processing

Nobody was. He was arguing with himself.

We ALL want this to be a magic box of dreams!!! Why wouldn’t we… :sunny: but we won’t know until PRINTS gets his. :slight_smile:

I’m going to stop arguing because I think it is pointless. I will not rescind anything I’ve stated though because I think I’ve been pretty clear. I feel saturation is a legitimate tool when mastering. That is all.

1 Like

Not sure I seen anyone explicitly say you where wrong in that theory… But jus wondered wether it’s likely AH will be suited to it. Thoughts where already expressed over in the other thread too. Peace

Again kinda semantics, I am pretty sure most figured out what prints was talking about but some decided to split hairs.

2 Likes

Maybe so… but its hardly one way, could have easily been acknowledged and brushed off. I’m sure you noticed this when you read through.

1 Like

11 posts were split to a new topic: Toxic thread detour

I have a question, say if i were to put this as the final stage before being recorded, example octatrack into analog heat overbridged into ableton (using ableton just as a recorder), how much of difference is there from using a vst? I am currently using fabfilter saturn and like it for saturation and distortion probably because i havent heard or tried anything better. (Was recommended to get it then just got it and never looked anywhere else)

Most of the time, I would be going for subtle rather than destruction, is there something that you guys have seen or heard that really make the heat stand out in comparison to a plug in?

Sorry i just need some other opinions from more educated peeps, as to my untrained ears it kinda sounds similar to what saturn does. But then again i use saturn on everything, so obviously being an elektron fan i would want to use elektron if it had some big differences :slight_smile:

No one really knows yet. All will be revealed when these things appear in the wild and used for various tasks.
I use Saturn also for mild saturation. It’s really good.
Will be good to see how heat stacks up to these seasoned and proven plugins.

1 Like

Well, I just wanted to give me first impressions after the first few days with my AH.

Firt off, I am not a mastering engineer, and what constitutes as “mastering”, well I do not want to get into that discussion.

What I will say is this: I have experimented with heating hardware as well as ITB signals now, and it is obvious to me that the AH can be used for increasing the loudness (RMS) of just about any signal without increasing the peak levels in the same relation. Therefore, the AH could well be used in mastering, especially stem mastering, in order to coax a bit more RMS out without increasing the peak levels. This can be done subtly enough for it to work for many scenarios IMO.

But even more impressive is the way one can treat the low end of program material with the AH filters. I am very impressed so far!

1 Like

How does it compare to something like Saturn? What do you think? Also, does it do a good job of adding vibrancy and dimension to your vsts?

Saturn is way more flexible/sophisticated in terms of feature set, doesn’t really compare IMO - they are too different wrt features. The saturn lacks the filter section, while the AH lacks multiband and M/S capabilities.

Vibrancy and depth are interesting words to use for something that effectively reduces dynamics and skews transient and frequency response on purpose…When I think about those two adjectives, chorus and reverb are first things that pop into my mind :panda:

If you mean, can it add excitement and thickness to single sources, answer to that is YUPP :thup:

I’ll take excitement and thickness.

Hi, I’d be interested to hear more from people who have experimented putting the whole mix through the heat

If I were to buy one, it would ideally serve two purposes,

1 to “heat” up different individual samples and sounds and
2 in a live setup where I would use it somewhat like a kaoss pad

If it could boost the signal, make it sound more homogenic, and let me do filter cut offs and weird FX breaks that would be cool

But I can’t see where else I could put it in the machine chain for live use other than at the end

I saw Cenk using it through the OT’s sends (I currently play with everything going through the OT to make use of the scenes and faders)
Which is an option, but I can’t seeing it being as dramatic

Anyway, more experience from users would be welcome… :slight_smile:

I use the :heat: in the main-insert of my VLZ4 and it works great. I use it following the mainpurpose: heating, boosting the lows with the peak-filter and using the both eqs for the finish.

1 Like

AH can do M/S

1 Like

I’ve used it on every track I’ve made since I bought it. I can’t think of a time when I’ve put it on and thought “no, can’t use it on this”. If you are using it subtly on the master, it works great. The active button is a great A/B in this regard.

3 Likes

Not really, all it can do is process either the mid or side, not both independently. In my book that’s not really M/S, in fact you can do the same with any stereo processor by utilizing M/S encode/decode. Only when you can unlink the L/R controls we are getting into “proper” M/S IMHO

The only control on the heat which does something even remotely like this is the freqpan on the filter.

Just master a track with Heat and a limiter on the master bus of my session in Logic Pro X. It worked quite well and a step my game up with the mid/side eq settings on Overbridge. I till to use clean boost, high pass the bottom with a mixture of the low and high eq. Before I always use ozone or waves plugins with logics adaptive limiter; but, today I kept it simple just heat and a limiter plug. I discovered that it important to bounce in real time as offline bounce and heat with go crazy switching up to slow ot blurred sounds. Overall I loved my analog heat as I first used it for my mpc 4`s outputs inspired by my rytm. Heat is an essential part of my studio and daw setup now.

1 Like

Do you guys think that sending audio from Digitakt to AH and then recording in Ableton could be a good start setup? Sorry for the noob question.Many thanks.

1 Like

good start setup? What do you mean?