Analog Four or Digitone for FM synthesis?

Next: Analog FM + toaster

2 Likes

So many people use ableton and itā€™s main synth was a fm synth. But i guess many used it in a subtractive manner

Damn right !
There is something funny in seeing DT as an powerful Volca Sample and DN as a Volca FM +++ā€¦
Tats nailed it with his Volca FM, for sure.
Looking forward to being able to control its guts from the Cirklon, but I still have hundreds of pages to read ^^

Back to topic, Analog four and DN really donā€™t play FM the same. Itā€™s not even the same FM (A4 does true FM on osc or filter, while DN does phase modulation).
A4 is dirtier, but with analog filter and distorsion you can get some really cool sound. And pretty good drums.
DN is breathing FM from A to Z, I just canā€™t wait to lay my fingers on its keys.

3 Likes

Whenā€™s yours supposed to ship/arrive?

Not a clue.
Status is ā€œPaidā€.

I asked @Ess to bless it before he sends it. Takes time.

3 Likes

Does that mean the Digimix is next?!

1 Like

I donā€™t think FM synths ever really went away. After Yamaha gave up on FM synths for a while, Korg kept the FM torch alive with their version of it (VPM) , which has appeared continuously in Korg products (Prophecy, Z1, OASYS, Radias, M3 (w/ EXB-RADIAS), Kronos, etc.).

Dunno what happened to the Yamaha DX-200 - itā€™s the forerunner of the Digitone in some ways - a knobby groovebox w/ FM synth engine. Yamaha has a history of giving up too quickly on products if they donā€™t meet sales targets within some unreasonably short time frame, some of which are later sought after for their unique qualities like the UD Stomp, FS1R, etc.

2 Likes

Thread was started 3 years ago. Itā€™s like, he could seeā€¦ the future!!!

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=88328&sid=241504951c575e3b5bc7a032f8723b6e

1 Like

Unless you have modular gear or plan to get some in the future, definitely go with the Digitone! I love my A4 MK2 and OT MK2 but have modular gear planned in the future. As future Elektron box the Digitone is on the list along with Blofeld or Virus!

FM has been huge non-stop. Itā€™s just done much better on softsynths like FM8 so itā€™s rare youā€™d see an FM hardware unit after the 80ā€™s.

Iā€™ve been using an A4 mkii for a couple of months now and have just acquired a DN. And I have to say I am blown away by the sounds that the DN can generate - if this is that mythic FM sound I am now most definitely a convert.
As much as I like the A4ā€™s flexibility in its analogue tones personally there is something weirdly attractive and preferable that draws me in to the FM sound. For example my ears pop and my brain is fazzledā€¦
My only issue may be with the lack of flexibility compared to the A4, but Iā€™ve just had a few hours play on the DN so Iā€™m sure there are many many sonic landscapes awaiting to unfurlā€¦
HAPPY DN user!

2 Likes