Analog Four or Digitone for FM synthesis?

Well, the best thing with a digital box is that if its mostly just DSP, pretty much anything can be changed/added, as long as processing power and mem are not maxed out? So digitone might gain new abilities in the future…?

FWIW IMO ”classical” FM is a bit boring… you need to spam a lot of operators just to get more harmonics in the waveshape, I much prefer what elektron has done here with the additive & feedback. Without those, dunno how much more one would get out from 4-op sine phazemodulation compared to FM in A4… yeah sure, it would be linear, so plenty of ”stable”, cheesy e pianos to be had, but still… Something like u-he Bazille, now that would be a fun FM architechture in hardware!

Or building another digital synth in this form factor. More stuff to sell

My gut feeling is that while the Digis features will be honed and polished they won’t learn entirely new tricks, like a completely different synthesis method in the DN or digital drum synthesis in the DT. Rather, there’ll be new machines to cover that. Collecting them all won’t come cheap and their scope will be carefully balanced to optimize their appeal to the target audience.

1 Like

yeah I know, but some things could still be added to the DN later, like filter routes inside the operator algorithm etc. The DN would still be the same instrument, just gaining more flexibility…

Feels to me this is their lower priced box format that they will reuse for digital boxes. Seems to me they will put out at least a couple of more digi boxes. Digitable and digigranular are likely candidates…

1 Like

I think wavetable and granular is covered sufficiently in the Digitakt- I don’t think a new box could add enough that would ensure the future machines success.

Also a proper granular groovebox-I can’t imagine- would have the draw that the current digi-boxes have.

1 Like

not for me :smiley:

Sorry but Digitak (or even the OT) can only do a cursory exploration of granular synthesis, if you even can call it that in all honesty. Short loop lengths is a part of granular synthesis ethos but it’s a tiny fraction of that world…

Get this then-

https://www.tastychips.nl/?page_id=2182

Granular is a niche realm of synthesis- and simply doesn’t have the universal draw that any of Elektron’s previous gear had

Edit: I think even the SIDstaion had a larger demand than a granular groovebox

Waldorf quantum will be the Don of Granular no doubt. Did you check the NAMM videos? Audio input granular, polyphonic granular… If Waldorf ever decide to recoup their quantum R&D in smaller, new products, it will be game over once these features are ported.

I would disagree, Clouds is one of the most popular modules if not the most popular one? Actual proper granular box would definitely interest me, there have been some tries even recently but they are all quirky. Quantum is nice but that’s 4K EUR and definitely not for everyone.

1 Like

Yes, I love what I saw in the quantum but definitely very few of us have space or money for such a monster. I can see elektron doing a box where a fun and creative approach to granular is used alongside other algorithms such as the ones present on monomachine. That said, I find it unlikely… the newer cheaper boxes target mass market and as we head to the fringes of digital synthesis the interest wanes for most people.

ahh ja, plonk is dope. i tested element, found it nice but limited. no independent damping for bow, blow and stuck… ? maybe due euro rack space decision…
with sciphy you can go pretty wild or natural if you like to:

edit:
and to come back to the thread. i also think amplitude modulation is a big thing in the a4. i would recommend, before doing complex fm-hokuspokus be sure you are familiar with more basic amplitude modulation.:smiley:

4 Likes

get a digitone. there are far better analog options out there than A4. with analog, knob-per-function is the way. with FM, a little menu-diving never hurt no-one as it’s a less organic and more heady way to create sounds. not to mention A4 doesn’t do FM the way you think. 2-op FM gets you nowhere

and if you’re looking for a more ”vintage FM sound”, the same can be said about the DN

when i hear someone using granular I head for the exit

2 Likes

It’s probably just me, but lately when I read man909’s and Psyclone’s posts, this image appears in my mind

You win the internet. thxb

7 Likes

Thanks, that is now my new FB profile pic :joy:

Also, what a strange thread title… obviously for FM synthesis the FM synth is better than the analog. Duh.

1 Like

It’s not as bad as it seems. “OP”(since this is a split topic thread) wants both Analog and FM but can only afford one unit- and futilely hoping one box will satisfy all of his sound creation needs.

2 Likes

Just that it won‘t be vanilla wavetable or granular. Elektron will make sure it‘ll have that twist that‘ll make you want one. Just like DN. The more videos I watch the more intrigued I am. My PreenFM is scared shitless.

1 Like