Analog Four or Digitone for FM synthesis?

Well on A4 it’s only half analog, and maybe half again, as it’s a DCO not VCO being modulated by a digital LFO at quite low audio rates :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The only advantage of A4 fm over Digitone is I presume the Digitone doesn’t do filter fm? Can you fm the filter in Digitone by one or more of its operators?

It’s difficult to tell.
The manual doesn’t mention the pitch tracking LFO speed multiplier for the Digitone.
Then again, it isn’t mentioned in the latest A41/2/AK manuals either.
It’s almost a hidden feature, in this regard.

Why use pitch tracked LFO again for this?
This is all digital, should in theory be able to use an operator (oscillator) as a FM source.
Maybe something Elektron can add if not already possible.
Filter FM would bring even more to the table.

Because only waveforms are sources on the LFO page, just like on the A4.
A tracking multiplier LFO is how filter FM works on the A4, would seem to be the most pragmatic way to implement filter FM on the DN, as there is no place on the filter page 1 for modulation source.

Filter Page 2, however, is a different story… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Simon of Elektron on the “FM” of Analog Four vs. Yamaha DX FM.

1 Like

Yeah should have nothing to do with the lfo.
Let the poor lfo do what an lfo does best. Definitely not fm duties.
Don’t know if there is some sort of mod matrix on Digitone.
If so add operator as source and filter fm as destination
Sounds like my first feature request :joy:

There is not.
You really should download the PDF manual from the support section at elektron.se
It’s full of answers.

RTFM. Are u nuts :joy:

Literally answering all your questions by reading the manual.
Nuts?

Nah, just logical.

And done.

1 Like

No not interested enough just yet to read the manual
More just curious at this stage
Seems pretty straight forward

Looking back on his responses in that thread, it’s kinda crazy that nobody predicted an Elektron FM synth! Then again people probably underestimated Simon’s role in product design.

2 Likes

Thought we had mostly predicted a digital synth
FM being the obvious first digital synthesis method predicted.
A lot of us were hoping for a few more digital synth options thrown in the mix though

1 Like

Yeah, anybody who makes a statement like this was definitely intending to make a new FM synth, sooner or later.

Is FM the best kind of synthesis ever conceptualized? Objectively, yes. :diddly:
Is the OPL3 chip in Soundblaster 16 the best FM-chip Yamaha has made to date? Yes. :diddly:

3 Likes

Haha got me.
Anything referencing FM generally gets my full attention :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Sorry if this is insulting but how can this be a serious question? Surely must be a troll thread?

Kind of off topic but @cuckoomusic has forever coloured the way I hear the word synthesis when I read it online heh. I always hear it in my head in his voice.

3 Likes

So is fm. Imo they chose the least interesting digital synthesis method.
Maybe next year they will have an elektron wavetable synth! That I would pick up.

It was split off from a different thread- and titled as best as could be summarized. OP wanted to know if the A4 FM would be sufficient

3 Likes

I’m hoping for a modal synthesis elektron box

1 Like