Analog Four in contrast with Moog and other synths

meant no offense. I just see it differently is all, and my opinions are based on my personal, subjective experiences with moog(s)

mighta tryd to be funny tho

ā€œIā€™m done withā„¢ā€ Moog

5 Likes

I love Nord as well but do they make a smaller tabletop analog synth? The ones I see are MASSIVE and way too big to haul around to gigs. Yeah my Moog Sub 37 is great but I prefer the Elektron workflow and the Moog only wins on deep bass sounds. Elektron is better for deep house, techno and trance music which is what I need.

Moog excels for rock and funk music. Elektron is better for EDM and house/trance type electronic music. Eurorack and modular can do it all in the right hands. Nord is good for electronic music and bands like KMFDM use it.

All Nords are unashamedly and awesomely digital and red

3 Likes

They have rack / tabletop versions of their synths. E.g. the Nord Lead A1R or Nord Lead 4 Rack. They even come in a tilted case.

I love my 4x parts polyphonic Lead A1 controlled by the 4 midi tracks of digitone. Perfect combination :slight_smile:

But yeah. They sound very digital and not analog at all. You can not really make moog type sounds with it and I dont really like it for bass sounds, but it has a huge range of sweet spots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good to know. I wonder how some classic techno/house records were made without Elektron gear. (sarcasm off)

2 Likes

Elektron gear has not been around that long compared to older synths. A lot of stuff in the 60s-90s was made on Moog and other synths.

ok

where? I donā€™t see them anyplace for sale.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been aware of them since that monomachine, but could never afford it. Also they didnā€™t have any real distribution in Canada at the time. It wasnā€™t until Aaron Funk showed me how he uses the a4 and AR that I became interested. The rest is history.

1 Like

2 years ago i made a similar comment on youtube. THEN I PLAYED A SUB PHATTY! Dont get me wrong im not a synth snobā€¦but everything with thier synths is just there instantly. One giant sweet spot no matter how you tweek it. Its a weird phenomenonā€¦enough to make me buy 3 of thier products and after playing a sub37 you realise what the fuss is about. There is reverence but it is warrented and even if its Behringer making it i donā€™t care as long as it sounds so good.

They are limited and you do need other juxtaposing sound sourcesā€¦but im finding them in expendable now i know what i was missing with my 20 or so other synthsā€¦hahaā€‹:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It all starts like this and then you realise the 20 synths you have in your studio are like your children. Each different, Each with its own character. There are definitely some you would pick up and start running with in a tsunami and some you would be like meh! But its a slippery slope this gear over oxygen/food deal when it starts.

1 Like

I know theyā€™re good synths, I just mean donā€™t feel bad about destroying the sound with eq and fx just because itā€™s a Moog.

2 Likes

Lead A1

Absolutely! Thereā€™s a RME for the Lead A1 and Lead 3.
Definitely try out the RME LA1, probably half the price of a Subsequent37?
Thereā€™s layout and operational differences between the LA1 and a moog, so it looks odd at first, and thereā€™s some weirdness.
With moog thereā€™s a kind of instant gratification, because all the knobs are right there, but with the Nord LA1 it can be a bit of a ride although not the deep menu diving of Elektron kind of headache.

Iā€™ll try to make this a short as possible, but whip up the bass patch basics on a LeadA1 like you would on the sub 37, basically the same Filter settings (and use the 24dB minimoog slope), OSCā€™s, and envelopes. Forget about the SubOSC for now.
Hereā€™s where I personally start to prefer the ā€œversatilityā€ of the LA1 for Bass (and pretty much everything)ā€¦
Take the bass patch and hit the Unison button, thereā€™s 3 settings to fatten it up, and you still have polyphony.
Hit the Performance mode button and put that Bass patch into all 4 slots.
You now have an 8 OSC Bass patch, and it definitely sounds better than my Subsequent37 (even on only two slots it sounds just as good).
Get your SubOSC by shifting the keyboard octave down 1 or 2 octaves for one (or two) of those slots.
Heres the other plus for the Nord LA1, your SubOSC doesnā€™t have to always be a square wave. It can be anything, sine, saw, deep PWM (even FM or some weird Formant).
Then you can change the Unison setting on each slot to make it a bit snappier, or more diffuse.
Then add a modest touch of effects discreetly per slot. Reverb or delay on SubOSC only? Why not.
And itā€™s still polyphonic! Base down low, quirks and sqarks up top.
Oh, and its not mono audio out, itā€™s got 4 audio outs.

It usually occurs to me that I could do the same thing on my AK and A4 too; but differently.
Anyway, just personal opinion. Iā€™ve been using moogs since last century and definitely love the sound, but when it comes to the Sub37 and Subsequent37 the LA1 can do the same job, and a whole lot more.

EDIT:
Just realised this topic has been chopped off from its original topic.
Iā€™m not comparing the Nord to the AK or A4.
Though I definitely prefer the AK and A4 to the subsequent37 too. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A4ā€™s are cool, Moogs are cool, Other synths are coolā€¦
They all make sound, thatā€™s what I like about themā€¦
Any synth compared to no synth is awesome if you like to play with sound.
People can debate things till theyā€™re blue in the face, but if the the world blew up and you survived and so did one synth, it wouldnā€™t matter what it was, it would be freakin awesomeā€¦ Even if you ridiculed it on Elektronauts pre-apocalypse.
Hopefully you could power it, maybe a solar cell survivedā€¦ :smile: speakers, yada, yada, you get the pointā€¦

OK, back to Gear Wars chapter 7ā€¦

2 Likes

Yeah and VSTā€™s are best
Flame suit on :joy:

2 Likes

I was wrong, weā€™re on episode 9ā€¦ I donā€™t know what itā€™s calledā€¦:wink:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s rubbish and you know it mate
Imagine post apocalypse, humanity and civilisation destroyed, you wake up and all thatā€™s survived is you and an Akai Timbre Wolf :joy:

5 Likes