Amazed by Heat

So yesterday i received my Heat and last night i experimented with it. Must say that i am amazed. The sound was so heavy, clear, dangerous. It is very neighbour unfriendly, i still have to learn to use it on a more subltle way. The wind came out of my speakers sometimes…

It felt like buying Rytm, buying a very expensive thing without knowing what i bought, and understanding that it was a good idea. I didnt know this was possible. Yesterday evening felt like an experience…

15 Likes

Yeah I’ve been really enjoying it - you have to be very precise with your settings! I used it on the master bus of my latest track (with Overbridge) and it had great results! But mind you, on the master bus it must be deliberately subtle, just enough for some color in there. :wink:

1 Like

quite enjoying mine as well. using it simply for now, running the silver elektrons’ mains through its two gentlest circuits (CB & sat). i find the presence, brightness and depth its eq and filter provide are consistent with others’ reviews, so in general it’s a keeper.

there are few enough controls that i can work by feel (as opposed to sitting there with the manual in front of me), which is great, but i admit i’m still wrapping my head around how to approach the amp page parameters. what to adjust first, and which to mess with afterward?

and then the various ways of mixing them … in what situation (for ex.) would i crank the wet and evenly balance the dry/wet, as opposed to lowering the wet but setting dry/wet at 127?

the first 20 minutes of @cuckoomusic’s 90-min vid were a good intro, and i’m finding sweet spots easy enough to come by anyway, but a deeper understanding will take time.

one thing i haven’t done yet is try the crunchier circuits with drive minimized, just to explore whether that might expand my options for an undistorted output with a different baked-in eq curve.

fun tip: put a free-running lfo on your filter with a bit of rez and tweak freqpan. instant mayhem :wink:

4 Likes

Great to hear positive views on the quality of the sound. We need to hear more about user experiences. I went the other way and bought three modules for a new addiction I said I would never get hooked by.

1 Like

it’s a very good addition and it can be used in so much scenario… it’s a pity when people called that another distortion box… it’s not !

1 Like

Does anyone use it for sound design ? Like sampling various :heat: outputs in :elot: and then use these new sounds through subtle :heat: ?

1 Like

I did yesterday. Like only a kick… send it through heat and record it. Fckng good!

yeah, for me the filter and the eqs are just as important as the drive circuit, if not more

Judging by the amt of activity in this subforum, not that many people with the heat yet. So more discussion and videos are still to emerge in the near future…

1 Like

Sure with all modulations capabilities and envelope generator/envelope follower… Kind of Sidechaining + Overbridge Mid/Side Processing + Filter/EQ modulation (not talking about distortion and other more enhancement algorithm) there’s so much to explore !!!

It’s like a “Analog” (so better to me) Maul (FXpansion) on Steroids… (not multiband thought in the 3 modules comparison) but i really like MAUL and it’s remebering me that + Enhancement of the SOUND globally :stuck_out_tongue:

Used mine for the 1st time today. I think i want another one.

Going all Tim Hecker on some drones and atmospheres.

7 Likes

Does somebody know if the filters are different compared to the one’s in the a4/ar? I found they sound more direct and better!

Enjoying running old tracks through full on distortion and hearing completely new songs burn outta it! The arse of the unit certainly heats the desk up pretty quickly, literally!

2 Likes

A short audio comparison would be cool, though there would obviously be plenty of differences.

In considering the Heat I setup a Performance pad on my Rytm to affect the filter cutoff (set to LP2) of all tracks, to get a filter sweep on the entire Rytm, and while I think the filters work fine within the Rytm, they didn’t stand out to me enough to want to spring for the Heat. I have heard plenty of great sounds coming from the Heat though and still come back to considering it on occasion, so I would likely benefit from a little filter comparison. :wink:

They are different, elektron says they are very musical. I just like then a lot and i think i dont have to be zo accurate for good results

well, then it’s time for an analog monosynth, manifested by a new small box called:

EnRöst

:heart_eyes:

They are slightly different IME, but above all they have much greater precision. I find them easier to dial in because of this.

i think it is time for a digital synth… and if you want to have an analog sound… then route it through the heat…

2 Likes

What I’d love to see is a digital/analog hybrid which uses the best method from the two for each “circuit”. Effectively this would mean lots of A/D and D/A conversion stages within a single voice, but it could still produce interesting and excellent sounding results. Rather than purely analog or digital, bastardizing both as much as possible anywhere in the circuits where it most makes sense. The converters of today are at a point where such a thing could be realistically built without it costing a fortune and sounding like crap.

1 Like

Love this unit. I had it for a few days now inspired to get one from my rytm’s distortion and overdrive effects on samples. So I decided to get the heat for my old mpc unit and man did it heat up the tracks straight out of the digital drum machine. It is a thing of beauty.

2 Likes

Just wanted to jump in with some positivity for the Heat. I was never remotely interested in it until I read the review in this month’s SOS which piqued my interested and I bought one as a random impulse buy.

It sounds incredible.

It’s the closest thing to a ‘box that just makes things sound amazing’ that I’ve come across. I fed it a random few bars of an Ableton soft synth doing marimba sounds and the most extreme distortion setting turned it into the nastiest chunkiest kick drum sound I’ve ever made. But it’s also clearly capable of much more subtle and musical effects too.

I had zero problems with Overbridge, and indeed for once I think I prefer using it as a VST plug in than a hands on box. Quite happy to tuck it away in a hard to reach place.

Only quibble was I couldn’t work out how to save a new preset from within the plugin. Tried just double clicking a blank slot and it ended up loading an Init patch - losing me a quite nice sound I’d made. Can only figure out how to save direct from the unit. Anyone help?

Otherwise… massive love for this box.

3 Likes