Am I the only one? [Machinedrum love]

MD only. 1 bar with machines played randomly by MID machines, with midi loopback (midi cable between midi IN and OUT)

T1,2,3=kicks, T4 MID controlling them
T5,6,7=snares, T8 MID controlling them
T9,10,11=HH/Cym, T12 MID controlling them
T13 RAM R1, T14 RAM P1, pitch +36 (1 oct)
T15 CTR 8, setting MID machines notes with 3 lfos
T16 CTR AL, rdm lfos on Syn 2 (decay), filters

9 Likes

Oh my, this is deep use of the MD. I’m not there yet :slight_smile:
I will dig into this!

1 Like

this is a great idea, thanks for sharing.
created my own rushed bastard version last night.
shitty whatsapp capture:

looking forward to exploring more

3 Likes

Just wanted to chime in here real quick to say that I got a Machinedrum (non-UW) in a trade against a Digitakt yesterday, and I think the reason I didn’t like it the first time I had it (5 years ago) was I probably didn’t understand synthesis all that well. Having learned a lot over the past few years, I see so much more potential in this thing now, nevermind hear a lot more potential in it now. The FM machines particularly are really cool. Can’t wait to dig even deeper. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hei! I use the same technique but everytime the random lfos hit a particuar note (E3) the playback pause because that note is associate with the play button. How do you avoid that?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: What gear would you like to see elektron do next?

Check Global > Map Editor

OH now I see. Thanks!

sezare56:
can you describe more accurately how you set you CTL 8P track ?
maybe a screen picture ?
thanks !
looks very interesting .

Salut @dekalboy !
Keeping your Japanese MD?

I used a known workaround to apply an lfo on notes, as it doesn’t work as it should.
I used my midi tracks lfos to modulate the CTL 8P parameters set to their respective midi machines notes. Lfos with depth between 2 and 6, Hold mode I guess.
From my tired memory.
More details if needed. :wink:

1 Like

yes i have kept my japanese ( 110 v running ) MD .
i would have been so crazy to sell it ! but sometimes the wallet is hungry :yum:.
yeah , i could not sell it finally .
like everybody in this thread , I think the sound of this machine is just a bomb . especially what makes its sound so special is the habiliy to integrate into an entire mix , i don’t know another drum which is capable to do it so well !
your trick with the CTL8p / MID machines is nice to avoid a static sequence , I need to try that . because I agree the sequencer is too straight and we need to find some ways to create more movement . personally , I externally control the mute states of the machinedrum , using a long midi sequences for these mute states , an I keep the internal sequencer for composing . this way I can have like a trig condition feature for the machinedrum :grinning: while keeping the workflow of the machine .

2 Likes

It uses midi loopback so as you know IIRC, AFAIK you can’t use plocks.
I found OT sequencing MD much easier to set up, so I’m sure this would be my setup with OT.
With MD alone, yes.

Yesterday I midi controlled OT with my guitar, using MD input gate controlling a track sending midi note to OT with quantize play. :loopy:

4 Likes

mduw is god box wish i never sold mine for 2 mpcs

What???!! That sounds awesome!!
I didn’t know it could do that.

figured this thread would be a fairly safe space for linking my video love letter to the Machinedrum :joy:

I almost got a Rytm earlier this year, and I have been meditating on their relative merits for some years now - even the rytm mk2 upgrades weren’t quite enough to sway me though

11 Likes

great video .
the machinedrum is literally not an « has been « machine !!

2 Likes

We’ll be has been before it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really well documented video. :thup:
I’m not in love at the moment, because of Octatrack total superiority concerning realtime sampling / mangling / envelopes / lfo / fx / arp / TRC…abilities. I wish MD could have 2 octaves pitch to make a difference.

To compliment OT for my live projects, I used MD GATE input and midi triggered an OT FLEX playing MD so that I can hear MD only when I play. I’d like to explore that way but it bugged my MD.
Maybe like here? :
Machine drum input problem

1 Like

thank you! OT is black magic box! MDUW is just the rudiments in comparison, but an inspiring collection of them :heart:

not quite following your description of signal flow, very interesting idea/technique though

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m having some hickups with my MD and im looking for some relationiship counseling.

The MD was my first piece of kit a few years back, it was way too deep for me then. I sold it and swapped it for an AR at the time because i couldn’t program the sounds the way i wanted to get them.

When the MD was discontinued I managed to snatch one form the last batch as i still felt i didn’t give it a fair chance, as i was still a beginner at the time in synthesis & hardware gear.

Long story short, I’ve been using if for over a year now and mainly use it to triggeer my modular. I still cant find love for the engines and always turn to other gear if i want to achieve a certain sound.

I’m thinking, either I still didn’t give it enough love or i should just give it a rest, sell it and move on.

What do you guys think? Its a hard nut to crack for me as I really want it to work out.

2 Likes