AK sequencer mode behaviour and pattern change questions

Hi, I’n new here and trying to get my head around my new AK sequencer. Tried to find an answer here and in the manual but my AK seems to show different behaviour.

I have several questions about sequencer mode behaviour. I like patters with different loop lengths, so changed sequencer to complex in sequential mode and made 1 track 12 steps long and playing set to infinite. I discovered I cannot change patterns while track LEN(ght) of one of the tracks is set to infinite in complex seq mode. Only when i stop the sequencer will it change to a cued pattern. So i read I for this to work properly need to set the value in CHNG. That’s the amount of steps needed until it changes to a different pattern. But my AK it does not do that, the pattern number keeps blinking, it’s still in cue. Again only after stopping it jumps to the cued pattern.

So a workaround could be to calculate the amount of steps needed for a seamless loop point, set this amount in “LEN” and set a value for CHNG accordingly for it to work like I want it to. But i cannot help thinking it’s supposed to work as described above. Does anyone else has this problem. Is this a bug?

Also, when pattern mode is set to “direct jump” it immediately jumps to the first step when I change a pattern, the same as like in “direct start” mode. So the sequencer flow is interrupted. How is this supposed to work? I thought the sound set is supposed to jump to the next and the pattern moves to the next one after finishing…

Would appreciate some help here, tnx.

We have been talking about this in the other thread. It’s a change of behaviour brought in with OS 1.23B by the looks of it.

EDIT: that’s a long thread but the long and short of it is that CHNG worked with Master = INF and cued patterns before 1.23B. Now it only works with MASTER <= 1024.

thanks you, I’ll read along there then

1 Like

Oh wow, is there a specific reason for this change? How do most tend to make polyrhythms from this version on? Probably have to read the whole thing… not yet accustomed to this developers community kind of approach to an instrument I guess :wink:

1 Like

You could make the length 1024 to get by, or switch to a different pattern change mode (i.e. not sequential)

I think it may be a bug rather than a change of approach, especially as it was not documented in release notes

2 Likes

So glad you pointed out the thread above, thought I was losing it and could not find any similar problems. I’m not a synth newbie but t’s a lot info to handle for a new Elektron user.

And thank you avantronica, I’ll try that, should work ok. Meanwhile I wrote support to help me with the downgrade to 1.23

1 Like