AH input-output volume etc

Hello, i was wondering if someone could go a few rounds with me on this? I have posted on this topic before, sorry to nag. Ive come back to the heat after some time setting things up.

Current experience: dfam into heat input L - heat into DI on id22 (jfet input). Eveything cranked to get audible sound, id22 input to ca 75% likewise main out dial. Audio monitoring in reaper/studio one at about -30db, noise absolutely absolutely to high, to the point of drowning out the signal. Setting dfam output/heat input/wet sensibly and system input barely register on meters, and i would have to crank my main outs to max to hear anything at all, and i suspect if i recorded anything and brought level up post it would be unusable. If i set input sensitivity on heat to max i get clipping without the gain increasing.

Im getting such a weird result that its hard to see a fix…what do you think? I will try with my tonebeast amp later…and also the DT to see if its the dfam that outputs too low/is too noisy…but its so extreme i cant believe it…

Advice?

I should say that when i run the dfam straight in on same input i get great result and levels as expected…

So its working like its beautiful self with the DT…hmmmm, so Im taking that to mean theres something with the line level and the moog…hmmm - is the heat confused by mono somehow…i notice the level input meters disappear when i only have one input running…?

Is it a MK1 or MK2 Heat? I have a MK1 and it won’t take a mono signal, only stereo, but I think they fixed that in the MK2. Having said that, if I run a mono synth into mine, I don’t get the problem that you’re having, I just get a mono output panned hard left and nothing in the right.

1 Like

Mk1…yeah cheers, ive been labouring under the misconception that i could do mono that way…have you tried with a y cable? My DT also works as you describe when running one channel…

An Y cable or ideally a mixer.

1 Like

In case someone made same mistake as I - y cable (stereo, T, R) did it so thats a way to go with AH and mono sources. Great! Cheers!

2 Likes

Glad you got it sorted. I haven’t tried a Y-cable, I just ran my mono synths into my OT and summed to a stereo signal before running that into the Heat. Shame they didn’t allow for mono synths on the MK1, that seems like a big oversight to me but at least there are plenty workarounds

My g, theres a thing or two to think about here…I actually recorded under these conditions with my old monitors, managing to find ok heat settings - but on my new ones it just seemed totally insane. Says something for importance of monitoring Id say. I must have read something wrong, I was so sure it could do mono that way that I just didnt consider it to be the problem…y cable dont feel like a workaround though…its stereo…so its stereo…I get it now and I cant believe I didnt just a day ago. On we go, thanks for the help!